System keeps freezing when shutting down system.

IcEWoLF

It's been doing this for about 3 weeks now, basically my system freezes when shutting down the system, it doesn't do this when I restart it.

I reset the bios setting on my rog Maximus hero 8. 

The computer temps and CPU temps all appear to be normal, ATM running stock and the issue is still there so I don't think it's anything to do with the bios.

im running the latest 3401 bios.

what else can I do?

IMG_0659.JPG

Is it a fresh install or an upgrade install?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Constant HDD activity? Do you have a HDD light?

system specs may help. What hardware do you have? Connected peripherals? etc...

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

42 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

It's been doing this for about 3 weeks now, basically my system freezes when shutting down the system, it doesn't do this when I restart it.

what else can I do?

Check the motherboard DRIVERS are ok ... maybe reinstall. 

This can be a symptom of mobo drivers (usually in laptops, but whatever).

@xitywampas

7 minutes ago, Rohime said:

Check the motherboard DRIVERS are ok ... maybe reinstall. 

This can be a symptom of mobo drivers (usually in laptops, but whatever).

I have updated all drivers, I upgraded the mobo BIOS like a month ago.

Here are the specs

MotherboardEdit Value
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO VIII
ProcessorEdit Value
Intel i5 6600k
Memory (part number)Edit Value
CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R
Video Card # 1Edit Value
ASUS 1080 GTX ROG STRIX OC
Video Card # 2Edit Value
EVGA 1080 GTX FTW
Video Card # 3Edit Value
N/A
Hard Drive # 1Edit Value
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive # 2Edit Value
OCZ 120GB
Hard Drive # 3Edit Value
Crucial M4
Hard Drive # 4Edit Value
N/A
Hard Drive # 5Edit Value
N/A
Hard Drive # 6Edit Value
N/A
Optical Drive # 1Edit Value
N/A
Optical Drive # 2Edit Value
N/A
CaseEdit Value
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5
Power SupplyEdit Value
Corsair HXi 1000
Sound CardEdit Value
N/A
MonitorEdit Value
ASUS VG248QE 144hz 1080p
Operating SystemEdit Value
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Try this:
Go to the %temp% folder and delete contents

Go to C:\Windows\Temp and delete contents

Run Disk Cleanup as administrator and select all boxes then run it

Reboot

It's a simple temp files clean-out, but I've seen this fix freezing issues on people's computers almost on a daily basis.

5 minutes ago, CaptainMike47 said:

Try this:

Reboot

It's a simple temp files clean-out, but I've seen this fix freezing issues on people's computers almost on a daily basis.

I haven't thought about that, I use to this a while back, gonna try this and report back in a few minutes.

8 minutes ago, CaptainMike47 said:

Try this:

Reboot

Back, tried the above, cleaned out the folders, ran the disk cleanup as administrator and it hasn't fixed the issue. 

Just now, IcEWoLF said:

Back, tried the above, cleaned out the folders, ran the disk cleanup as administrator and it hasn't fixed the issue. 

Oh well, was worth a try at least. If you have an old hard drive lying around or something it may be worth putting that in your rig and installing Windows to it with nothing but the latest drivers and see if it's a software issue. (if not available I'd say try resetting or reinstalling Windows, but first make both a manual backup and and a system image)

This would be a sort of last resort fix though. Do you have any additional details on the issue?

1 minute ago, CaptainMike47 said:

Oh well, was worth a try at least. If you have an old hard drive lying around or something it may be worth putting that in your rig and installing Windows to it with nothing but the latest drivers and see if it's a software issue. (if not available I'd say try resetting or reinstalling Windows, but first make both a manual backup and and a system image)

This would be a sort of last resort fix though. Do you have any additional details on the issue?

I just can't pin point the problem, at first I thought it might have something to do with corsair CUE, but thats not it since I uninstalled it.

Just strange.

But yeah I am leaning towards a brand new install at this point. Just a hassle to troubleshoot this. If a clean install doesn't do then it must be hardware related.

1 minute ago, IcEWoLF said:

I just can't pin point the problem, at first I thought it might have something to do with corsair CUE, but thats not it since I uninstalled it.

Just strange.

But yeah I am leaning towards a brand new install at this point. Just a hassle to troubleshoot this. If a clean install doesn't do then it must be hardware related.

What are you doing when it shuts down? Also did you check/replace the thermal paste?

Edit: Even if you are just using Chrome it may help narrow the issue

5 minutes ago, CaptainMike47 said:

What are you doing when it shuts down? Also did you check/replace the thermal paste?

Edit: Even if you are just using Chrome it may help narrow the issue

I closed chrome and it still does it.

All I do is go on windows > shut down and when it goes to the screenshot screen that I posted in the first post it freezes and nothing appears to work, everything freezes.

When I moved two months ago I was having issues with my system, I think the movers the way they moved the boxes it messed up the computer because it kept crashing when I tried to play any games, so I reseated and reapplied thermal paste and haven't had issues since recently.

The computer temps during operation look fine, I even ran a stress test on futuremark to make sure it wasn't the cpu or gpu crashing.

Unplug all drives except your windows install see if that helps. If you moved windows folders to a secondary drive it will need to be re done. Are you running a page file on any  drive?

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

27 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

Unplug all drives except your windows install see if that helps. If you moved windows folders to a secondary drive it will need to be re done. Are you running a page file on any  drive?

Just tried that to no avail. The other two drivers are empty, no files.

2 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Just tried that to no avail. The other two drivers are empty, no files.

In that case try unplugging all but 1 empty drive and install Windows to it. See if it's stable. If it's stable install the hardware drivers. If after that it still works I'd say go for a reinstall.

What about a Page File?

Just reinstalled windows, no problems now, system shuts down, reboots no freeze. buttery smoothy.

I do not know what the hell happened.

I have not finished installing the core apps...but I am going to reboot the system after each app is installed to make sure its not the apps I run such as Corsair CUE/Link/ Razer Synapse/ ASUS AURA.

I think I will skip the GeForce experience app too.

Just now, IcEWoLF said:

Just reinstalled windows, no problems now, system shuts down, reboots no freeze. buttery smoothy.

I do not know what the hell happened.

I have not finished installing the core apps...but I am going to reboot the system after each app is installed to make sure its not the apps I run such as Corsair CUE/Link/ Razer Synapse/ ASUS AURA.

I think I will skip the GeForce experience app too.

I would reccomend installing the drivers in groups to see if a specific one is the cause, then test for stability each group. If that works you probably can get CUE/Link, Synapse, AURA, and GeForce installed no problem since those are usually pretty stable. If those all work then I would say start doing apps. Often I found it's a specific driver that starts acting up or doesn't play nice with a new BIOS or Windows update. Usually in my case it was an Asus Motherboard driver or utility that was the problem. Sometimes the Intel extreme tuning utility was the cause, I don't think it plays nice with Windows 10.

1 minute ago, CaptainMike47 said:

I would reccomend installing the drivers in groups to see if a specific one is the cause, then test for stability each group. If that works you probably can get CUE/Link, Synapse, AURA, and GeForce installed no problem since those are usually pretty stable. If those all work then I would say start doing apps. Often I found it's a specific driver that starts acting up or doesn't play nice with a new BIOS or Windows update. Usually in my case it was an Asus Motherboard driver or utility that was the problem. Sometimes the Intel extreme tuning utility was the cause, I don't think it plays nice with Windows 10.

With the brand new install it didn't require any of the asus drivers to make things function. The new windows 10 install is very smooth and simple, doesn't require to install ASUS Network drivers to make things work.

I think I will stay away from updating any asus mobo drivers for now. I am running the latest BIOS of the mobo atm.

The only one I may consider downloading only might be the sonic studio 2 and thats about it.

Just now, IcEWoLF said:

With the brand new install it didn't require any of the asus drivers to make things function. The new windows 10 install is very smooth and simple, doesn't require to install ASUS Network drivers to make things work.

I think I will stay away from updating any asus mobo drivers for now. I am running the latest BIOS of the mobo atm.

The only one I may consider downloading only might be the sonic studio 2 and thats about it.

I would at the minimum install the Chipset drivers, other than that the utilities like Sonic Studio shouldn't hurt anything.

15 minutes ago, CaptainMike47 said:

I would at the minimum install the Chipset drivers, other than that the utilities like Sonic Studio shouldn't hurt anything.

Will do, again thanks for the help. Usually I rarely have these issues, but there is always that one time when things just happen lol.

On 6/19/2017 at 3:13 AM, CaptainMike47 said:

Looks like I started having the same issues again, I kept software installs at bare, mainly chipset, office, bnet, steam and corsair link and CUE and lastly Sonic Suite 2.

Razer Synapse as well. 

Did a fresh new install from Windows website via USB.

The system freezes, it seems to happen 2/5 shut downs, sometimes back to back. I am not sure if at this point its either hardware related or what. 

This is frustrating to say the least, only way I can turn off the computer when it freezes like that is to push the power button down to hard shut off.

On 6/25/2017 at 2:28 AM, IcEWoLF said:

Update, I am not sure if it has something to do with the windows creators update, someone else reported the same type of issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/solved-windows-10-not-shutting-down-after-creators/a828ca31-32c2-4cfa-96bc-0a01b5230eb3

Sounds like a possibility, Windows 10 seems to be getting a bit more... intrusive... with their updates. I would try the solution from that article first. Failing that I would try updating to the latest Asus BIOS and Drivers. Come to think of it, might as just remove Intel Management Engine altogether , may fix the issue.

Try the SATA cable or HDD or SSD. I had the exact issue once and it was the SATA cable on my page file drive. Mine would hang during shutdown with no disk activity.