Best upgrade from a i3-2100 without going overkill

Hey guys. 

I have had this build for about 2 and a half years now, and my next upgrade is probably going to be the CPU.

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge

ASUS P8H61-M LX2 1155 Board

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6670

128GB Samsung 830 SSD

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD

2TB Toshiba/Hitachi DT01 HDD

My plan is to go with a 3570 (non-k since my board can't do OverClocking and wont be needing it)

I play games on it, but I don't max out all graphics. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

i5 3570, and a Radeon 7870. How much do you have to spend?

Didn't read the next upgrade part, indicating you will upgrade one item. Get a 7850 or a 650Ti Boost (2GB Flavor), and maybe more RAM depending on how much you have. Your CPU is fine. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

A 3570 non-K would be your best option, as it doesn't require a new MoBo and you won't OC it.

Your GPU should be a bigger bottleneck though. A 270X or something along those lines would be a major improvement.

who cares...

-deleted-

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It depends on how much you're willing to spend, but pretty much any i5 would give you quite a substantial performance boost. Also make sure to remember that you'll probably need to update your bios before you get the new CPU (if you want to get a 3570), so it will work with the ivy bridge architecture. If you need help doing that or have any other questions, please let us know!

-Intel Response Squad member

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Unless you're playing ARMA, you need a new GPU. Despite what people like @TheSLSAMG will tell you, i3s are perfectly fine for gaming with a good card.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

What do you use your system for? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I myself think 3570 is a stupid option. There is 3470 and models like that and they are way cheaper with the same performance. Since you have a discrete GPU, you may go for a 3350P which doesn't have an iGPU.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

A 3570 non-K would be your best option, as it doesn't require a new MoBo and you won't OC it.

Your GPU should be a bigger bottleneck though. A 270X or something along those lines would be a major improvement.

Funnily enough, I had thought of putting a 270X in here. I will consider that. Thanks

It depends on how much you're willing to spend, but pretty much any i5 would give you quite a substantial performance boost. Also make sure to remember that you'll probably need to update your bios before you get the new CPU (if you want to get a 3570), so it will work with the ivy bridge architecture. If you need help doing that or have any other questions, please let is know!

-Intel Response Squad member

Time/Money is not a big issue here...It's more, how long could I last without upgrading again.

Unless you're playing ARMA, you need a new GPU. Despite what people like @TheSLSAMG will tell you, i3s are perfectly fine for gaming with a good card.

No, I don't play ARMA. I play Final Fantasy XIV and CSGO...Maybe a bit of CoD: Ghosts here and there. As I said above to O15, I could look into getting a 270X or similar. Thank you.

What do you use your system for? Budget?

Other than gaming, I would use it for entertainment (Music, Videos etc) and I do some web development on it. I don't mind waiting and saving money...so budget is not a issue. Thank you

I don't mind waiting and saving money...so budget is not a issue. Thank you

If you can't give a budget or very small timeframe to "save up", there's no point in planning a build.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Funnily enough, I had thought of putting a 270X in here. I will consider that. Thanks

Time/Money is not a big issue here...It's more, how long could I last without upgrading again.

No, I don't play ARMA. I play Final Fantasy XIV and CSGO...Maybe a bit of CoD: Ghosts here and there. As I said above to O15, I could look into getting a 270X or similar. Thank you.

Other than gaming, I would use it for entertainment (Music, Videos etc) and I do some web development on it. I don't mind waiting and saving money...so budget is not a issue. Thank you

If you don't wish to buy a new motherboard:

A 3470. It is cheaper than 3570 for almost same performance, if you don't plan on overclocking then a 3570K is pointless

A 270. Yes, not a 270X since you can just OC a 270 to the same clocks as the X and it works fine saving you some cash, watch linus' video on it.

OR a 280X

For the GPU it depends how much power you want

I believe these would be the best value for money parts you could buy.

snip

If i was you I'd first grab a graphics card around the 270X price spectrum with as many bundled games as you can get. Then see if you need a new CPU but i think not, i mean it's just a dual core but it's reasonably clocked.

who cares...

If you can't give a budget or very small timeframe to "save up", there's no point in planning a build.

What I meant was, I am not going to be purchasing parts today, it probably will be after Christmas, but as time goes on, I am (obviously) getting more money but I don't want to go all out on a completely new build because I don't need a super-mega-elite build (if you know what I mean)

If you don't wish to buy a new motherboard:

A 3470. It is cheaper than 3570 for almost same performance, if you don't plan on overclocking then a 3570K is pointless

A 270. Yes, not a 270X since you can just OC a 270 to the same clocks as the X and it works fine saving you some cash, watch linus' video on it.

OR a 280X

For the GPU it depends how much power you want

I believe these would be the best value for money parts you could buy.

Defiantly some good points here. 3470 and 270 seems like a great combo for this. Thanks

If i was you I'd first grab a graphics card around the 270X price spectrum with as many bundled games as you can get. Then see if you need a new CPU but i think not, i mean it's just a dual core but it's reasonably clocked.

I think I might go down this path. Get new Video Card and then a CPU if needed.

--

Great help from everyone. Thank you very much.

What I meant was, I am not going to be purchasing parts today, it probably will be after Christmas, but as time goes on, I am (obviously) getting more money but I don't want to go all out on a completely new build because I don't need a super-mega-elite build (if you know what I mean)

Then any build that you plan right now is almost always invalid, unless you have insider information to deals that we don't know about.

Grab a 3570k or non-k, and grab a R9 270 non-X because the 270x is a slightly higher clocked card but not worth the extra money, that should be a good upgrade 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Well, I mean Clarkdale i3s. They're aincent. Modern i3s are fine, in fact I am going to build a Steambox with an i3 4130.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'd upgrade both the CPU and GPU (maybe motherboard too)...BUT...

I'm 99.999999% sure the graphics card is holding you back in games right now. The HD 6670 was never meant for higher-end "gaming." It was designed to be a mainstream "all-arounder" graphics card. Affordable and low power draw card.

Grab a new graphics card first. See what is the difference in performance. If you are still not satisfied, then get a new processor (and motherboard).

You can always transfer your graphics card into a new system -even if you decide to go for a different socket CPU down the road

(i.e. you decide to for LGA 1150 Haswell instead of LGA 1155 Ivy-Bridge).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Thanks everyone for your help. I will now look to get a new Graphics Card which is probably going to be a R9 270! :)

An Intel i5 4670k is a beast of a processor, and also partially future proof :D

Defiantly some good points here. 3470 and 270 seems like a great combo for this. Thanks

Christmas is a while from now. Parts and prices change frequently, Plan later--2-3 days before you buy at most.

You should probably spend less money on the cpu and more on the gpu for better performance.

Btw, if you don't tell us your budget, we'll have little idea of what you can actually get and some might start suggesting some very ridiculous builds. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.