Recommended cooler?

SamuraiAlex

Hey guys I'm picking up a 7600k ad was wondering what cooler I should use. I will be overclocking and my case is the Zalman Z11 plus.

Cheers for the feedback.

What exactly are you planning to do?

It might make more sense to check out ryzen or an i7 depending what you are planning to do and what your budget is.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

What exactly are you planning to do?

It might make more sense to check out ryzen or an i7 depending what you are planning to do and what your budget is.

It's a gaming rig so I7 is overkill and i'm not going Ryzen as the extra cores/threads will not affect me greatly and the higher clock speed is better.

For most people a Ryzen 1600 makes more sense than a 7600K, but if you're looking for a cooler, what matters most is how much OC'ing you want to do.

the best cooler is an AIO, which is an all-in-one watercooler. 240mm+ AIOs usually go for over $100, and it would really be better to just get an i7 in this case.

I'd recommend something like a Cryorig H7, or one of those tower style coolers.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, SamuraiAlex said:

It's a gaming rig so I7 is overkill and i'm not going Ryzen as the extra cores/threads will not affect me greatly and the higher clock speed is better.

Well, Ryzen has a higher minimum frame rate compared to Ryzen, which matters more than average IMO, and it's almost certain that in the future, the i5 will bottleneck mid-high end GPUs, while the 1600 will bottleneck less, or not at all.

Unless it's high refresh rate gaming, I'd still recommend the 1600.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, SamuraiAlex said:

Inb4 ryzen fanboy flames

I would go ryzen atm for the "future proofing" but personal preference 

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well, Ryzen has a higher minimum frame rate compared to Ryzen, which matters more than average IMO, and it's almost certain that in the future, the i5 will bottleneck mid-high end GPUs, while the 1600 will bottleneck less, or not at all.

Unless it's high refresh rate gaming, I'd still recommend the 1600.

If it helps the rest of my specs are:

gtx 1060 3gb

8gb 2133 speed RAM

gtx 1060 3gb

8gb 2133 speed RAM

Do you already have that 1060 3GB?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Do you already have that 1060 3GB?

Its in the post why?

gtx 1060 3gb

8gb 2133 speed RAM

I'd recommend getting the 6GB version if you haven't bought the GPU already. 3GB is simply too little VRAM. the RX 470 / 570 is also a good choice, better than the 1060 3GB, but they're kina out of stock now.

I'd recommend watching this video to see the differences between the 7600K and 1600. the 7600K might get higher FPS now by a few, but it's close to 100% usage in some games, and it hits 100% in stuff like witcher 3. so there's no more room to grow there

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I'd recommend getting the 6GB version if you haven't bought the GPU already. 3GB is simply too little VRAM. the RX 470 / 570 is also a good choice, better than the 1060 3GB, but they're kina out of stock now.

I'd recommend watching this video to see the differences between the 7600K and 1600. the 7600K might get higher FPS now by a few, but it's close to 100% usage in some games, and it hits 100% in stuff like witcher 3. so there's no more room to grow there

Cheers mate I'll check it out

13 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Wow that is genuinely surprising 

The topic was cooler suggestions, not Intel vs AMD.

For air, anything from Cryorig, Be Quiet or Noctua are top notch. It mostly depends on your budget and personal pref for appearance--that and height clearance for your case. Best all arounder in the budget range is ths Cryorig H7.

Second the Cryorig H7 recommendation, it will fit well in that case.

Never understood why people kept screaming buy Ryzen. Their cpu has more cores but most people will never use all that and for goodness, future proof? 

Yaaaaa, 1 yr from now there's going to be something new and he probably has enough money to buy something else if he's working or his parent decides to get him a gift.

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

The topic was cooler suggestions, not Intel vs AMD.

6 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Never understood why people kept screaming buy Ryzen. Their cpu has more cores but most people will never use all that and for goodness, future proof? 

Yaaaaa, 1 yr from now there's going to be something new and he probably has enough money to buy something else if he's working or his parent decides to get him a gift.

A lot of people don't fully realize the power of Ryzen 5. When OP said that he was going to buy a 7600K, I recommended a 1600, but also a cooler. I don't intentionally derail threads for fun. however, I want to make sure that everyone gets the best bang for their buck, which is currently a Ryzen 1600 instead of a 7600K. (priced the same, Z motherboards are more expensive than B350 motherboards, and more cores + Hyperthreading = better)

Desktop:

Laptop: