Burst Mining

Hi,

What are your recommendations for mining burstcoin? (Currently own a 4TB WD drive, would like to try with this first before buying other drives)

I was looking into burstcoin mining. I've heard about it for some time, but haven't quite figured it out all yet. I've tried plotting my 4TB external HDD to 3TB (probably will  bump that to 3.9TB to maximize space), but the speeds were really slow or nat satisfactory. For instance, I tried plotting with the included plotter in the AIO wallet, getting ~11k nonces/min, but my cpu (4700HQ) got to 93 degrees Celsius very rapidly. I then tried the GPU Plotter with my GTX 765M, but could only achieve speeds of ~5k nonces/min before getting kernel errors in the command prompt (Perhaps a balance between different settings? I tried to change things around, but didn't seem to work for what I tried). What would you recommend that I do to plot this drive? I might also be able to borrow a computer that runs an RX480.

Moreover, what drives would you recommend to use for this? Heard that external ones were the best to use, but which models? (Perhaps looking at the best capacity/price)

Thanks!

HDD mining? Well that's something new that I learned today.

I will ask another question ... how much can you earn with it?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

21 minutes ago, Sneling said:

Hi,

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

if thats the case....HDD mining.....Raspberry Pi 3 with a UHS 3 ssd???

1 hour ago, Simon771 said:

15 Burst per day from 1TB, which is roughly 21 cents. Per month you'd make 453 burst, which is 6.37 bucks. It's better the more storage you have.

1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

if thats the case....HDD mining.....Raspberry Pi 3 with a UHS 3 ssd???

You get paid for the amount of storage you have, not the speed. However, it's better to 'optimize' your mining (+20% earnings, estimated). You also need to generate every single byte that you'll write to those hard drives to fill up all your terabytes, which can take a while. It's calculated in nonces. One terabyte is roughly 4 million nonces, and my CPU can generate 10k nonces/min... so almost 7 hours per terabyte. If your computer crashes while generating this or that you stop the process, you're good to restart it all.

2 minutes ago, Sneling said:

15 Burst per day from 1TB, which is roughly 21 cents. Per month you'd make 453 burst, which is 6.37 bucks. It's better the more storage you have.

You get paid for the amount of storage you have, not the speed. However, it's better to 'optimize' your mining (+20% earnings, estimated). You also need to generate every single byte that you'll write to those hard drives to fill up all your terabytes, which can take a while. It's calculated in nonces. One terabyte is roughly 4 million nonces, and my CPU can generate 10k nonces/min... so almost 7 hours per terabyte. If your computer crashes while generating this or that you stop the process, you're good to restart it all.

sooo....rasbperry pi 3 with external powered hub for extra harddrives?

2 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

sooo....rasbperry pi 3 with external powered hub for extra harddrives?

I'm not sure. Most people I've seen doing this used Windows, but I also wanted to try with the Pi. But first I wanted to get it working with my local pc to then work from there :3

1 minute ago, Sneling said:

I'm not sure. Most people I've seen doing this used Windows, but I also wanted to try with the Pi. But first I wanted to get it working with my local pc to then work from there :3

is there a bitcoin that likes harddrive speed over storage space? i dont have a ton of hdd space. just 1TB

Just now, ZeusXI said:

is there a bitcoin that likes harddrive speed over storage space? i dont have a ton of hdd space. just 1TB

A crypto? No actual idea. I have 2 ssds, but I want to keep those for my actual computer, and I bought this 4tb hdd that I don't use much, so yeah. You have other services that can make money from storage, but they're 'not as efficient' as burst.

Just now, Sneling said:

A crypto? No actual idea. I have 2 ssds, but I want to keep those for my actual computer, and I bought this 4tb hdd that I don't use much, so yeah. You have other services that can make money from storage, but they're 'not as efficient' as burst.

so it uses your storage for themselves basically?

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

so it uses your storage for themselves basically?

The other services yeah. You get contracts from people on the internet, and their data is stored on your hard drive, encrypted. It can look alright, but there's a part of this that I don't quite like. Also they don't pay very well, and it takes a lot of time to build up contracts.

Just now, Sneling said:

The other services yeah. You get contracts from people on the internet, and their data is stored on your hard drive, encrypted. It can look alright, but there's a part of this that I don't quite like. Also they don't pay very well, and it takes a lot of time to build up contracts.

thats why i would use an Rpi with external drives. i dont need to be looking at others info

Plotting hdds can be a real pain, took me days to figure out how to do it properly. Basicly, it will take a whole day to plot a 4tb drive (even using the gpu plotter). Another tip is that your nonce count has to be divisible by the stagger size. Here's mine that  I used on a 3tb drive:

gpuPlotGenerator generate buffer z:\myaccountid_0_11427840_8192

Plotting in direct mode instead of buffer mode is slower but generates an optimized plot (didn't actually work for me, so I used buffer). The cpu plotter is much slower but generates an optimized plot directly. You also have to figure out your starting nonce (mine is 0 in the code above because it was my first plotted drive).

5 hours ago, AugOwnz said:

Plotting hdds can be a real pain, took me days to figure out how to do it properly. Basicly, it will take a whole day to plot a 4tb drive (even using the gpu plotter). Another tip is that your nonce count has to be divisible by the stagger size. Here's mine that  I used on a 3tb drive:

gpuPlotGenerator generate buffer z:\myaccountid_0_11427840_8192

Plotting in direct mode instead of buffer mode is slower but generates an optimized plot (didn't actually work for me, so I used buffer). The cpu plotter is much slower but generates an optimized plot directly. You also have to figure out your starting nonce (mine is 0 in the code above because it was my first plotted drive).

Ok, I see. Is there a way I can limite how much my cpu is used to plot? It's the fastest thing I've got to plot, but it runs really hot when doing so. Also, what do you mean by stagger size? Is this the RAM you allocate to the process?

If you want to plot with the cpu stagger size doesnt matter (gpu plotting is a bit trickier). The stagger determines how fast you can read the drive when mining, the higher the number the faster it is (takes more to plot tho and doesnt always work at a high stagger).

CPU mining is alot easier, you just go in your burst wallet and click write plots at the bottom. It will ask you what drive to plot, how much of that drive to plot and how many cores it should use to do it (ofc more cores=faster plot speed). There is also expert mode on that that basically asks you for the starting nonce (if it's your first drive you put 0, if it's your second or third and so on you have to put the nonce after what you've already filled (example if you write 10000 nonces in the first plot, your second plot should start at nonce 10001)).

2 minutes ago, AugOwnz said:

If you want to plot with the cpu stagger size doesnt matter (gpu plotting is a bit trickier). The stagger determines how fast you can read the drive when mining, the higher the number the faster it is (takes more to plot tho and doesnt always work at a high stagger).

CPU mining is alot easier, you just go in your burst wallet and click write plots at the bottom. It will ask you what drive to plot, how much of that drive to plot and how many cores it should use to do it (ofc more cores=faster plot speed). There is also expert mode on that that basically asks you for the starting nonce (if it's your first drive you put 0, if it's your second or third and so on you have to put the nonce after what you've already filled (example if you write 10000 nonces in the first plot, your second plot should start at nonce 10001)).

Ah okay, thanks. Do you know how to get goot speeds with gpu or? I can barely break the 5k barrier.

I dont even remember exactly, I think it was 20k+ using a gtx 970. Still took pretty much a whole day (should have used my gtx1080 for that).

I just plotted out 1 300gb and 2 500gb drives in the last few days.  I did the first 500gb on my 2500K@4.7ghz.  Bad idea.  CPU plotting uses the AVX instruction set and is a massive heat generator.  I hit like 87°C and dropped my clock to 4.4ghz for a more reasonable 79°C core temp.  It took 5.5 hours.  After that fiasco, I decided to plot the drives on an old phenom x4 9750 computer.  Instead of pulling 9.1k nonces, I am only getting 1.9k nonces, but it doesn't have any impact on being able to use my main system and it isn't cooking the crap out of my recently acquired 2500k.  It took about 12 hours to do the second 500gb on the phenom x4.  It doesn't support AVX so it had to use SSE instructions.  Not sure how much that effected my plotting time.  Since I am not using the backup computer, I decided to delete all the games and such off that install and plot out an 800gb plot on it.  I'm at like 24 hours of plotting now and only around 70% done.  But hey, it's just a second computer sitting around prepping my drives before I put them in the main rig.  I have not tried GPU plotting as I am mining with my GPU.  CPU plotting also produces an optimized plot, where GPU plotting does not and would best be optimized after plotting from what I understand.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.