EKWB A240G compatibility and expandability

Go to solution Solved by fenom,

As far as expandability goes, you need to make sure you're looking for aluminum parts and right now EK isn't selling any outside those kits. On another thread, though, someone did link to Koolance, who has some aluminum parts.

Look around the forums a little bit and you'll get some more answers. Everyone is asking questions about those kits since JayzTwoCents posted that video.

Hi fellow citizens of the internet :), i just discovered EK's new Fluid Gaming series, which is pretty exciting to me. i've always wanted to try to do a custom watercooled loop, but i've never had the budget to do so. but now i can, since this only costs €256. i was just wanted to know(since i couldn't find anything about this on google) whether it'd be compatible with my GTX 1080ti Strix from Asus and where to buy parts for this(since it's aluminum based) for future expandability.

Thank You!

Link to the kit i'm talking about

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, MathiasVO053 said:

Hi fellow citizens of the internet :), i just discovered EK's new Fluid Gaming series, which is pretty exciting to me. i've always wanted to try to do a custom watercooled loop, but i've never had the budget to do so. but now i can, since this only costs €256. i was just wanted to know(since i couldn't find anything about this on google) whether it'd be compatible with my GTX 1080ti Strix from Asus and where to buy parts for this(since it's aluminum based) for future expandability.

Thank You!

Link to the kit i'm talking about

On the page you linked, there is a link to the full waterblock compatibility list.

Just now, MathiasVO053 said:

lel, thanks. i'm a derp xD

No problem. There's so many buttons on sites now, lots of us tone them out, so you need someone else to look at it to see it. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Though I did see some of EK's other parts aren't compatible with the aluminum in those kits. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Though I did see some of EK's other parts aren't compatible with the aluminum in those kits. 

yeah, ik. that's why i'm wondering where to buy things like aluminum radiators, fittings ETC(preferably in the EU)

also, i really doubt that a 240mm radiator can handle an overclocked GPU & CPU, soo. yeah

As far as expandability goes, you need to make sure you're looking for aluminum parts and right now EK isn't selling any outside those kits. On another thread, though, someone did link to Koolance, who has some aluminum parts.

Look around the forums a little bit and you'll get some more answers. Everyone is asking questions about those kits since JayzTwoCents posted that video.

I just purchased an A240g to go with a 7700k (currently OC to 5ghz) and 1080ti. Currently have a x62 on my cpu and am happy but also concerned that at load over time the 240 may get too saturated and am wondering if it would be more harm than good to add a seperate 140 alum rad to the loop. Any thoughts as to if this would be a problem? 

I was also considering re-purposing my existing 280mm rad from the kracken x62 kit as I think I have read before that asetek based kits are all alum rads though I cant find confirmation of that...

3 hours ago, CalifLove said:

I just purchased an A240g to go with a 7700k (currently OC to 5ghz) and 1080ti. Currently have a x62 on my cpu and am happy but also concerned that at load over time the 240 may get too saturated and am wondering if it would be more harm than good to add a seperate 140 alum rad to the loop. Any thoughts as to if this would be a problem? 

I was also considering re-purposing my existing 280mm rad from the kracken x62 kit as I think I have read before that asetek based kits are all alum rads though I cant find confirmation of that...

Could you post here again with how your installation went and your findings of the loop? Really curious about it. 

AFAIK more rads don't hurt your loop... the gains might be less then expected tho. 

On 15/6/2017 at 7:22 PM, EK Luc said:

We'll have separate Aluminum components available later this year.

cool :D

They have a compatibility chart in the product page.   I just bought one about 4 days ago for myself; EVGA GTX 1070, hopefully upgrading gpu soon too,  it came in yesterday and was fairly simple to set up.   I'm getting way better temps now at least for my gpu, I had an aio on my CPU before and this setup didn't really change the CPU temps,  but now my graphics card sits at about 45c at load instead of 75-80c.  I have a founders card so it ran pretty hot.   I am very pleased with it so far.   The only complaint I have is that the tubing would kink easier than I would have liked.   I had to work on one of the fittings for a little while to run it so it didn't kink but EK provided more than enough tubing in case you mess up one.   All in all I think it is a great value.   I was looking at a Kraken G12 and another aio for my gpu but this option takes up way less room and is affordable. 

1497701355042-1514313104.jpg

Edited by Mergatroid Skittles

WARNING: You'll have to do a little more research on your own. I avoid aluminum in my build since I went the copper route. 

I know thermaltake has aluminum radiators. You may want to look into them if you're in a hurry to make your build. They may have other aluminum parts you can mix into your build. To be honest I trust EK and if you can wait for them to flush out their aluminum lineup that might be best. 

http://www.thermaltake.com/Liquid_Cooler/Liquid_Cooler_/Radiators/C_00002654/Pacific_R360_Radiator/Specification.htm

NOTE: Also I read somewhere that you should be careful about the thermal paste you use.  Some brands has metals mixed into the paste that may react badly with the Aluminum Blocks overtime. (I believe the safe metals to mix with aluminum are sliver, nickel and stainless steel.) 

On 6/16/2017 at 3:02 AM, NLD1st said:

Could you post here again with how your installation went and your findings of the loop? Really curious about it. 

AFAIK more rads don't hurt your loop... the gains might be less then expected tho. 

Will do. I actually just got the EK kit in the mail today from NewEgg. Vid card should come in Weds. I think I'll try it out first stock and if temps look good keep it that way. If they look to run away or be worse than what I have now with the x62 on my CPU and aircooling on the vid card, I'll likely go down the road of adding the 280 rad from the kracken to it...unless of course I find that I could sell that kit and buy a new 280 rad...decisions decisions. Maybe I should just use the 280 rad from the kit and sell the new EK 240 one...oh boy, down the rabbit hole I go!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the compatibility with aftermarket cards? I know the 1080 Ti SC2 has a similar PCB to the FE 1080 Ti bUT some little spots are slightly different. 

Does anyone know if the block included in the A240G kit will work with the 1080 Ti SC2? 

Just now, Perposterown said:

Does anyone know the compatibility with aftermarket cards? I know the 1080 Ti SC2 has a similar PCB to the FE 1080 Ti bUT some little spots are slightly different. 

Does anyone know if the block included in the A240G kit will work with the 1080 Ti SC2? 

I forgot to click to have notifications for my replies, please reply to this one. 

3 hours ago, Perposterown said:

I forgot to click to have notifications for my replies, please reply to this one. 

Sorry, the SC2 isn't compatible with the block included in the A240G.

We don't even have (and don't plan on making one) a copper block that is compatible with the SC2.

Here's the list of compatible cards with the block in the A240G kit : https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109890769

• 2 weeks later...

I know EK has their official compatibility list but has anyone actually tried installing on the Asus Strix 1080ti?  Just curious, that's the only thing holding me from getting the A240 G

15 hours ago, TheRealDieselD said:

I know EK has their official compatibility list but has anyone actually tried installing on the Asus Strix 1080ti?  Just curious, that's the only thing holding me from getting the A240 G

I swear it won't fit.

The PCB of the Strix is way bigger than a reference one and the mounting points are different

Reference PCB

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Founders-Edit

Strix PCB

ASUS-ROG-Strix-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti_PCB.j

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, michahsimmons said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y31FYWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Would this card be compatible? The frame sizing of the card seems that it would be the same. Thanks in advance for any advice; trying to find a compatible 1080 ti that doesn't cost a great deal extra.

Turbo cards are not reference PCB, so it will not work unfortunately.

Any idea on what pump you can replace the A240G's with? I badly need a new one as the one I have pretty much leaks out of random places from the actual pump itself. There has to be a pump on the site you guys can sell us for cases like this, would be a shame to have to toss the entire setup for a pump.

14 hours ago, LTFoReal said:

Any idea on what pump you can replace the A240G's with? I badly need a new one as the one I have pretty much leaks out of random places from the actual pump itself. There has to be a pump on the site you guys can sell us for cases like this, would be a shame to have to toss the entire setup for a pump.

Did you buy the kit from a reseller or directly on the Fluid Gaming webshop?