Intel Core Duo 2 and GTX 1070?

Creed1

So somebody I know has an old dell from 2009-ish and they have a Intel Core Duo 2. Well they just bought a GTX 1070 for it. The person doesn't game, but uses it for 3D Modeling. I know for a fact I am going to need to get a new PSU, but will it even work?

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

It should work, as long as there is room within the case and sufficient power delivery. It's probably worth several times more than the entire PC, though.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

It should work, as long as there is room within the case and sufficient power delivery. It's probably worth several times more than the entire PC, though.

Is there even going to be much of a performance boost?

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

There is going to be a pretty good bottleneck, and 3D modeling isn't all GPU power. The PC itself isn't going to run very well, as long as the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU that much. Also, 2009 was using PCI Express 2.1, rather than the current PCIe 4.0 (actually 3.0). Not only is the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, but the PCI Lanes themselves!

9 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Depends on how heavily the specific task relies on the CPU. If some task relies almost entirely on the GPU, possibly not. If something else makes greater use of the CPU, there may be no difference at all.

5 minutes ago, Rinsworth said:

Also, 2009 was using PCI Express 2.1, rather than the current PCIe 4.0.

3.0 is current, 4.0 is not yet available. That's not much of a bottleneck, anyway.

10 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

6 minutes ago, Rinsworth said:

There is going to be a pretty good bottleneck, and 3D modeling isn't all GPU power. The PC itself isn't going to run very well, as long as the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU that much. Also, 2009 was using PCI Express 2.1, rather than the current PCIe 4.0. Not only is the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, but the PCI Lanes themselves!

Unless the software is a very basic "Free 3d" kind of software, a lot of the processing power actually falls onto the CPU. That's one of the reasons why most workstations use higher end CPU's. Technically yes it will work but there will be almost no performace boost in my mind.

"Current" PCI-e 4.0? 3.0 is still the current standard. 4.0 Isnt even finalized yet, and if it is, that doesnt mean we're going to be seeing products using it starting tomorrow and 3.0 is dead

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, typographie said:

Depends on how heavily the specific task relies on the CPU. If some task relies almost entirely on the GPU, possibly not. If something else makes greater use of the CPU, there may be no difference at all.

3.0 is current, 4.0 is not yet available. That's not much of a bottleneck, anyway.

Sorry about that, but I'm just saying a potential bottleneck *exists* at a point. 

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Unless the software is a very basic "Free 3d" kind of software, a lot of the processing power actually falls onto the CPU. That's one of the reasons why most workstations use higher end CPU's. Technically yes it will work but there will be almost no performace boost in my mind.

"Current" PCI-e 4.0? 3.0 is still the current standard. 4.0 Isnt even finalized yet, and if it is, that doesnt mean we're going to be seeing products using it starting tomorrow and 3.0 is dead

Hot damn I made a mistake. 3.0 "It's 3.0." Gah I'm tired sorry.

Just now, Rinsworth said:

Hot damn I made a mistake. 3.0 "It's 3.0." Gah I'm tired sorry.

When you go to sleep tonight, Instead of counting sheep, count gen3 PCIE lanes! :P
"One pci-e gen 3x16 lane...

Two pci-e gen 3x16 lanes...

"One pcie gen 3x16 and two pcie gen3x8 lanes...."

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Doesn't graphic rendering rely more on CPU than GPU?

If so, that's money wasted

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell