Is This Setup Safe Temporarily

alanp1995

So I bought a Dell Optiplex 7010 and I thought I would be able to take the PC case to a hardware store and have it removed but apparently it's a big job. So I'm planning on getting a new case and moving all parts into it. The pictures below show the setup at the moment and everything is working fine, but how long would this setup be okay for? Would it be alright for another week until a new case arrives? Thanks in advance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

That set up is fine for as long as you would need, given you are mindful of dust (if your environment is messy or not),  static electricity i.e. dry air and and socks with an affinity for touching your computer hardware may result in potential shocks although likely still not bothering it much if properly grounded. oh and pets i.e. a cat for obvious reasons.

For a week? Absolutely, as long as you dont go poking around with a screw driver while it's on haha. Also be careful not to bump it off the desk!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

First thing's first, PUT SOMETHING NON-CONDUCTIVE IN BETWEEN THE MOTHERBOARD AND THE TOP OF THE CASE! Update: Just noticed that your Motherboard box is under the Motherboard - good! Assuming none of the board touches the metal of the case, then you'll be fine.

You don't want to chance having a short circuit on the bottom of the motherboard.

A piece of cardboard would be sufficient.

Otherwise? Yeah totally fine.

Another note: If you intend on re-using that motherboard, make sure to measure the mounting holes and make sure it's compatible with a standard ATX case mounting system. Dell is notorious for doing non-standard proprietary layouts just for the hell of it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

First thing's first, PUT SOMETHING NON-CONDUCTIVE IN BETWEEN THE MOTHERBOARD AND THE TOP OF THE CASE! Update: Just noticed that your Motherboard box is under the Motherboard - good! Assuming none of the board touches the metal of the case, then you'll be fine.

You don't want to chance having a short circuit on the bottom of the motherboard.

A piece of cardboard would be sufficient.

Otherwise? Yeah totally fine.

Another note: If you intend on re-using that motherboard, make sure to measure the mounting holes and make sure it's compatible with a standard ATX case mounting system. Dell is notorious for doing non-standard proprietary layouts just for the hell of it.

Very good advice. I was aware of the cardboard thing :) Like when building a new system testing on top of the motherboard is a good option. I have it so close to the case because I am utilizing the hard drive bay for my hard drive at the moment haha. I checked my exact motherboard with HWInfo and see that it's a Dell 0GY6Y8. As far as I can see it's a standard mATX board. Would that be right? If you just had a quick google yourself, would be appreciated :)