old cheap xeon vs i7 for gaming

he guys im looking to upgrade my pc from an fx-8350 to an i7 but having a look around. i saw on a post that you can use an old Intel Xeon X5650 for gaming and be able to overclock to 4.0 ghz . would you recomend this over a i7-5820k? for gaming and editing use ?

If you are strictly gaming. Go for a modern i5/i7 not old. Older architecture will limit FPS heavily. So id just go for the newest option, however the Z170/Z270 are the best for gaming.

Depends on how much u can spent on the PC and what you are going to do with it.

X79 might be a cheaper route if you need more cores but don't have the $$. 

17 minutes ago, epicbloodygameryt said:

i saw on a post that you can use an old Intel Xeon X5650 for gaming and be able to overclock to 4.0 ghz

Do not under any circumstances buy a X5650. It would require you to run a LGA1366 mainboard, which are not only just really expensive nowadays, but also have been dead as a platform for half a decade. Also the X5650 would not give you the performance you desire, if your other option is a 5820k.

15 minutes ago, epicbloodygameryt said:

he guys im looking to upgrade my pc from an fx-8350 to an i7 but having a look around. i saw on a post that you can use an old Intel Xeon X5650 for gaming and be able to overclock to 4.0 ghz . would you recomend this over a i7-5820k? for gaming and editing use ?

Just get 2x Xeon E5-2650 or even Ryzen

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

11 minutes ago, epicbloodygameryt said:

would you recomend this over a i7-5820k? for gaming and editing use ?

Depends. The X5650 you mentioned is an absolute no-go. If you really need a cheap eight-core cpu you should get a Xeon E5-2670, which runs on slightly older LGA 2011 mainboards with an X99 chipset. The E5-2670 is the only sensible eight-core from intel you can buy for relatively little money right now. Mind you, that it would still barely even make sense to get one if you really needed 8 cores/16 threads.

Otherwise, if you are a sensible human being, just get a modern (at least Haswell, LGA1150 socket) Core i7. The i7 4770k provides about the best value for money right now.

3 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Depends. The X5650 you mentioned is an absolute no-go. If you really need a cheap eight-core cpu you should get a Xeon E5-2670, which runs on slightly older LGA 2011 mainboards with an X99 chipset. The E5-2670 is the only sensible eight-core from intel you can buy for relatively little money right now. Mind you, that it would still barely even make sense to get one if you really needed 8 cores/16 threads.

Otherwise, if you are a sensible human being, just get a modern (at least Haswell, LGA1150 socket) Core i7. The i7 4770k provides about the best value for money right now.

The cheap E5 2670s are on the X79 platform, which there are no motherboards for (in good condition and for a good price). 

@epicbloodygameryt Just get a Ryzen 5

4 minutes ago, FTL said:

The cheap E5 2670s are on the X79 platform, which there are no motherboards for (in good condition and for a good price). 

@epicbloodygameryt Just get a Ryzen 5

Thats BS. Theres an abundance of LGA2011 boards (which all come with X79, because that was the only consumer-grade chipset released on LGA2011) for sale at around 100$ on ebay as we speak.

Also both, Haswell and X99 provide far better value compared to buying a new Ryzen chip. The only advantage Ryzen would have to offer is warranty.

5 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Thats BS. Theres an abundance of LGA2011 boards (which all come with X79, because that was the only consumer-grade chipset released on LGA2011) for sale at around 100$ on ebay as we speak.

Also both, Haswell and X99 provide far better value compared to buying a new Ryzen chip. The only advantage Ryzen would have to offer is warranty.

Hmm. Last time i checked X79 boards were all 300$+ and heard others say something similar. Something must have changed since then.

2 minutes ago, FTL said:

Hmm. Last time i checked X79 boards were all 300$+ and heard others say something similar. Something must have changed since then.

Really depends on the region you search I guess. In Germany there are a lot of offerings atm, but that might change within a week or so. Momentarily theres a ASUS Rampage IV Formula going for 119€ and a MSI X99A MPOWER for 149€ on german ebay.

32 minutes ago, epicbloodygameryt said:

or would a i5 7600k be a better bet for gaming and editing

If you can find used Xeon E5 2670 with a cheap motherboard, than go for it. Best bang for the buck editing machine.

If you want it new, than get a Ryzen 5 1600, which is the most popular cpu right now.

3 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

In Germany, yes, but I noticed people in the US have a harder time finding them. So if depends on where OP is. 

3 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

I'm not so sure about it. Ryzen has Haswell IPC, and the last locked Haswell i7 I saw on eBay (4790) went for slightly more than 150 EUR. That's Ryzen quad core price, which would be unlocked and new (I also saw an auction and with no bids for a 1400 in sealed box... And the starting price was EUR 120...)

Why not ryzen ? An r5 1600 would be just as fast as the 5820 k , but cheaper , with cheaper boards , plus you'd be getting a platform with upgradeability .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, epicbloodygameryt said:

7600K is a no no. Get a 5820K or a Ryzen 7 1700/5 1600.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 hours ago, epicbloodygameryt said:

Don't buy an i5 at this point . they are maxed out in AAA games and generally overpriced in their current form .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Don't buy an i5 at this point . they are maxed out in AAA games and generally overpriced in their current form .

Absolutely agree on that one. If intel doesn't lower their prices on the i5 chips its going to be really hard to recommend them...

I suppose yes xeon is like the higher binned processor. Sure im sporting harpertown xeon e5450 e0 revision which clocked at 4ghz on asus p5q premium board with mushkin 996599 2gbx4 total 8gb ram and paired it gtx 660 2gb. I can run games around mid to high settings depending on the games