GPU Fried for no reason?

Hello there, Tech Tippers.

GPU we are talking about: EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850G2

Mobo: ASUS Z170-Deluxe

So a few hours ago as I was booting up my PC and logging on to Steam, something weird happened. My rig completely shut off, in a split-second with no errors, driver-failures, freezes or BSODs.

I thought none of it and proceeded to reboot, but was only left with a slight "tick" coming from the PSU. I soon figured out that this is probably a short happening somewhere within the internals.

I started troubleshooting, by running the PSU seperately, which worked, then proceeded to Clear CMOS and reset BIOS on the motherboard itself which didn't solve anything. I continued tinkering and disassembling my hardware, part for part and module for module, untill I had to remove the GPU. As soon as I removed the GPU and connected my monitor to the mobo, It posted!

So I was left with either a damaged PCI-E socket, GPU or some kind of disturbance in the PSU itself or the cable linking PSU->GPU.

I proceeded to switch the PCI-E Lane, cables etc. but none worked so I eventually installed a GPU from another rig and it booted off it. Same PCI-e lane & cables as the 1080.

I've already sent an RMA' request in, since I believe it's truly dead. Zero extreme overclocking, zero slave-switch or stress testing and most sad part is that the GPU was only 7 months old.

If the RMA' case works out, would there be anything to do, to assure it won't happen again? Cause this event was super-sketchy.

Any response is much appreciated

~ TaroC

What were your temps?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sounds like the card was faulty to begin with. 

RMA it and hope that the next card won't be defective.

7 hours ago, Enderman said:

What were your temps?

Temps never really exceeded the 60' c degree mark on full load, and usually hovered around 55-58 (Measured in HW-Monitor, EVGA Precision XOC, CorsairLink4 and SpeedFan). 

(Pre-configured a pretty good curve for the fan attached to the radiator + I swapped the OEM fan that came with the cooler) 

3 hours ago, Vacras said:

Sounds like the card was faulty to begin with. 

RMA it and hope that the next card won't be defective.

I sent an RMA request with all details on how I located the error. 

Yeah it does indeed sound like a faulty card, I really hope that the next card won't give me such troubles again :)