genome on windows

Go to solution Solved by noobs guid to marsterrace,
21 hours ago, noahdvs said:

Cygwin is easy to get working. It's the X11 server that isn't. I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but it's not even remotely worth the effort. You'll just end up wanting to tear your hair out and when you try to get help, there won't be any because almost nobody tries to make this kind of thing work and no developers are interested in making it work.

im sad now

Is there any way of using a genome or KDE environment on windows.

I am fed up with the Windows GUI but I need applications like the Adobe sweat for school so is there any way I could run genome on windows.

as a side note, i experience with installing Linux but I have never dual booted before

you can install linux then use a VM or wine for the adobe 'sweat' (suite)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

is there a better option

two ways i can think of. Cygwin and the windows subsystem for linux. Iv never done it myself so you can google those. There are videos on youtube where people have put gnome over windows. That is where I would start, search on youtube to see how usable it is. I remember it was quite a popular topic when windows 8 was released and the metro thing was getting hate.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Do not even try. There is KDE for Windows, but it's dead and buggy. Dual booting is easy if the distro you're trying to install has a good installer. I've also heard that the Adobe suite works well in Wine, but I've never tried it and YMMV. If actually using Linux is not an option, you're better off sticking with what you have.

5 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

help I can't get Cygwin working 

Cygwin is easy to get working. It's the X11 server that isn't. I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but it's not even remotely worth the effort. You'll just end up wanting to tear your hair out and when you try to get help, there won't be any because almost nobody tries to make this kind of thing work and no developers are interested in making it work.

21 hours ago, noahdvs said:

im sad now

Well, dual boot is way easier than installing Gnome on Windows, which is by any means impossible. 
For one, Windows is not Unix based and the ramifications are : you don't get the same services structure. 
That means Windows is not compatible with either X11 or Wayland. While Linux GUI's adapt to more dynamic things and one can install virtually any GUI on a distro, Windows is a closed environment and it's explorer is far more than just a GUI... Windows as a user friendly OS depends on the windows explorer. 

As far as I know, even though there is no install candidate for Adobe software on Linux, there is a much higher change to configure a certain distro to run Windows meant programs than the reverse... even though I think running Mac binaries works better. 

So here is an answer for you : try and search for a way to run what you need on Linux. It might be a headache, but to me it seems more of a good deal than your impossible wish to run a linux GUI on windows. 

Consider that dual boot tho... 
I actually have two hard drives for that sole purpose.