does anyone know a program that can do this!

kinkywink

hey guys, this to me is a bit of a weird ask but, im looking for a program that can automatically stream(update) it self. let me give you an example.

my neighbor (irrelevant) is a sole proprietor(works for himself) and he has a laptop he uses to save and print invoices, equipment used, labor etc.. to customers/clients. this laptop is permanently in his van.

he wants a program that can take then file saved on his laptop and stream/update to his home computer as soon as he drives in the drive way.

this is so its easier for him to use and he can edit things while he is inside..

now does anyone know a program that can do this?

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Dropbox comes to mind...

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Dropbox comes to mind...

can it do it automatically, like as soon as the laptop is connected to the home wifi?

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

can it do it automatically, like as soon as the laptop is connected to the home wifi?

Yes, it does. Otherwise, Bittorrent Sync is also a great solution, will work faster over the local network.

Yes, it does. Otherwise, Bittorrent Sync is also a great solution, will work faster over the local network.

okay thanks :), he said if i can figure out a way hell pay me :o

In what way is this Programming and/or Software Design...

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

As @Ssoele said: use Bittorrent Sync. It's free, encrypted, perfect for huge files if necessary and very easy to set up. I use it to keep my NAS, offsite server and my laptop in sync whenever I'm on the go :)

It runs cross platform and even on phones.

theres dropbox, Icloud, skydrive...there is a butt-ton of cloud storage programs, suggest some to him and see which one he likes.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

theres dropbox, Icloud, skydrive...there is a butt-ton of cloud storage programs, suggest some to him and see which one he likes.

The only problem I have with those is that your data is stored on their servers. But that's just me and my tin foil head :P

The only problem I have with those is that your data is stored on their servers. But that's just me and my tin foil head :P

It shouldn't matter where it's stored, only that you can up/download files and they are accessible to you. 

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

It shouldn't matter where it's stored, only that you can up/download files and they are accessible to you. 

Well, if you're the least bit concerned about your privacy, then yes, it is a problem. I just can't seem to trust a third party with my data, especially not in these days.

I use SugarSync as it doesn't require me to put the files in a single huge folder like dropbox does and instead I just pick the folders to be synchronized.

Well, if you're the least bit concerned about your privacy, then yes, it is a problem. I just can't seem to trust a third party with my data, especially not in these days.

What exactly are you storing that you're so afraid of someone else seeing?

What exactly are you storing that you're so afraid of someone else seeing?

This mentality is exactly what's wrong with the people in charge of making laws concerning internet privacy. The prevailing idea that "if you're doing nothing wrong, then it doesn't matter that people store your data/sniff your packets/track you" is completely wrong and completely adverse to what privacy rules "in real life" state.

Consider the following: would you consider it to store EVERYTHING (money, obligations, TV, computer, kitchen,...) you have at some big corporation that offers you nothing but the promise that your stuff will always be available to you? How do you know what they are doing with your stuff? You don't. So you don't even consider it. But on-line everyone thinks differently all of a sudden.

The analogy works even better with the postal system: it's unlawful for the post company to open letters you send, but on the internet suddenly it doesn't matter whether or not someone reads/stores/analyses/tracks/etc your data.

In fact, I'm not storing anything that I'm afraid to show anybody, but that doesn't mean I'm trusting someone else with my data. That doesn't mean that I want someone reading and analysing my data. People really need to get their heads straight about online privacy and start caring about it more.

This mentality is exactly what's wrong with the people in charge of making laws concerning internet privacy. The prevailing idea that "if you're doing nothing wrong, then it doesn't matter that people store your data/sniff your packets/track you" is completely wrong and completely adverse to what privacy rules "in real life" state.

Consider the following: would you consider it to store EVERYTHING (money, obligations, TV, computer, kitchen,...) you have at some big corporation that offers you nothing but the promise that your stuff will always be available to you? How do you know what they are doing with your stuff? You don't. So you don't even consider it. But on-line everyone thinks differently all of a sudden.

The analogy works even better with the postal system: it's unlawful for the post company to open letters you send, but on the internet suddenly it doesn't matter whether or not someone reads/stores/analyses/tracks/etc your data.

In fact, I'm not storing anything that I'm afraid to show anybody, but that doesn't mean I'm trusting someone else with my data. That doesn't mean that I want someone reading and analysing my data. People really need to get their heads straight about online privacy and start caring about it more.

Because my data is still there no matter how many people see it or copy it, it can't be damaged like physical items. I do trust dropbox with my data, if NSA or whatever takes a look at it then fine, I couldn't care less. It does not matter to me at all, as I know very well what I'm putting there. Sniffing my packets, however, is very much different.

Because my data is still there no matter how many people see it or copy it, it can't be damaged like physical items. I do trust dropbox with my data, if NSA or whatever takes a look at it then fine, I couldn't care less. It does not matter to me at all, as I know very well what I'm putting there. Sniffing my packets, however, is very much different.

Well, if that is your reasoning, the so be it. I still don't trust any third party with any sort of data. Bittorrent Sync solves all my data syncing issues for free, so I'm sticking to that ;)

OP asked for a business doing neighbor. I do not know even one business owner, who will add that kind of files in a cloud thingy. Guess why.

But I think MG2R is right to warn private ppl also, a lot of ppl think only bcs they think all of their data is considered o.K. nothing can happen to them.

Identity theft, stalker, concurrent for a job, illmeaning / bored rumor monger,.... another religion, lifestyle,.... it's rather simple to harm ppl.

And even if the cloud technology seems more secure as other systems for the moment, who says it will stay so or that no angry staff person or hacker still couldn't do anything to annoy you (Adobe Cloud customers had some very 'funny' problems this year for different reasons)

I can remember as the started with internet banking, they told then it will be 100% sure. At that time it was very simple to knock the systems out, the first thousends of financially hurt customers got told they did the wrong.... only after millions of damage the banks changed some details.

History repeats itself - always (in one way or another)

It's sad that we live in a world where paranoia dictates all of our actions.

Figured I'd point out: even using BTSync, your data is far from "safe" as long as the device is connected to the internet. Whether the data is on your computer or on a remote computer/server, it's accessible to anyone who's determined enough; no amount of security will keep them out.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's sad that we live in a world where paranoia dictates all of our actions.

Figured I'd point out: even using BTSync, your data is far from "safe" as long as the device is connected to the internet. Whether the data is on your computer or on a remote computer/server, it's accessible to anyone who's determined enough; no amount of security will keep them out.

True, but you can make it as hard as possible for them to get to it, though :)

True, but you can make it as hard as possible for them to get to it, though :)

-shrug- Even then, the security of the system depends on the intelligence of the person who set it up. A clever hacker/exploiter wouldn't need to touch the system - he/she could exploit the user and still gain access. All of your effort can easily be undone by someone clever, determined and persistent enough to attempt it. It's only a matter of time and resolve. 

Once I realized that, I stopped caring. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

• 4 weeks later...

awesome

this is what i was looking for

ill just password protect my files in winrar and sync them :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.