I don't know how to overclock ? rayzn 7 1700

Hi guys finally I purchased my pc from Amazon UK and shipped it to KSA , soon I will lead my hands on it.  

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wx83QV

Anyway when I made this build I was already having plan to overclock it as ppl use to suggest me here and I thought there will be a lot of tutorials in YouTube will teach me how to do OC on amd RYZEN 7 1700 & Asrock taichi X370 with details and everything will be explained..  But unluckily I didn't find what I really want ?.. All of the tutorials are explaining for those who already knows ? 

What do I need from you guys? 

I need beautiful tutorial or something can guide me step by step how to overclock this pc to 4.0+ghz

Thank you 

Oxox ?☺

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Every CPU I've overclocked so far was from Intel (Pentium 4, I5-750, I7-3770k) but I'd be surprised if it AMD is a lot different.
Here's the basics that you can (probably) change:

>CPU clock rate (or CPU ratio, BCLK etc.)
In layman terms, this is how often your CPU "thinks" per second. Instructions that the CPU is working on need to be in order, so it all gets synced through the clock. The faster it "ticks", the faster your computer is able to perform its task. This is the number you want to get higher for more performance. This is called overclocking.

>CPU core voltage (Vcore)
This is how much voltage your CPU will draw through the motherboard.

>CPU offset voltage
For CPUs with the ability to regulate their power draw on their own. For example idle the CPU clocks itself down to 1.6Ghz only needing 1 volts but under load it can boost itself to 4Ghz and then needs more voltage, lets say 1.3 volt. The CPU can do this on its own when you overclock using offset voltage.
If your CPU can use 1.2 volts MAX pre-overclock, setting offset to 0.05v will allow it to draw a maximum of 1.25volts if needed.

General rules for all brand and any generation of CPU:
0.: always overclock your CPU through BIOS/UEFI, never any in-OS software
1.: higher clock rate usually needs more power and therefor higher voltage
2.: higher voltage leads to higher CPU temperatures
3.: if you push your voltage too high you WILL destroy your CPU

4.: Overclocking your CPU will draw more power, make sure your PSU is strong enough to handle it (putting estimated values for your voltage and clock speed into PSU calculators such as this one https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator is not a bad start)
5.: increase clock rate FIRST and then adjust your voltage in small increments until your system is stable at the desired clock rate -> look online for the clock speed others are achieving to have an estimate at where to start
6.: if you cant get it stable dial back the overclock (a stable system is a system that does not crash under full load over a long period of time)
7.: an overclock can still be unhealthy (even if the system is stable), if your temperatures are too high. In this case -> dial back your clock rate and voltage
8.: offset mode is always a good option, if your Motherboard supports it

9.: almost every CPU is unique in its overclocking performance and the exact numbers you need

I think that's pretty much it. If anyone can find a big flaw, let me know and I'll edit it as fast as I can.
For your specific problem there is literally no better way than to UNDERSTAND what overclocking is FIRST. Following a step by step guide will lead a lot of users into trouble because of rule number 9 and because a lot of step by step guides are made by idiots that don't know what they are doing. If you understood these things and you look in any BIOS/UEFI that supports overclocking you will find either the options mentioned above (for Intel) or something very similar for AMD. Using common sense and some basic logic you will then be able to figure out everything else without much trouble.

Have fun and don't kill your hardware :)

4 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I'm sorry but this video wasn't useful for me ?

Actually i need someone who can tell me do this, this,  this and u will ger 4+ghz 

1 minute ago, d7omepro said:

Actually i need someone who can tell me do this, this,  this and u will ger 4+ghz 

I apologize, but with the board you selected, I wouldn't be sure where to point you to. If it was an Asus or an MSI motherboard, it would have made it easier for me, but I'll give you some advice.

1. Never use any OS tools to overclock the CPU. It will apply the wrong settings, leading to instability and hardware degradation.
  2. All Ryzen CPUs will hit anywhere from 3.8 GHz all the way to 4.0 GHz, depending on voltage settings and "silicon lottery" (how far will your CPU go with x frequency and voltage before instability). You may get different results.
  3. A higher voltage setting and frequency will cause more heat to be dumped into your system and draw more power. Be sure to have sufficient cooling and a strong enough power supply (quality and wattage wise) before attempting any overclock.
    1. Stock voltage will cause the power draw to remain the same, but heat output will increase as a result. I've seen this with my i7-5930K before.
  4. If you encounter instability, dial back the frequency and voltage settings.
  5. Always use the offset setting and leave the BCLK setting alone, as some motherboards don't like having their BCLK messed with, as it changes the operation of other buses like PCIe and SATA for example.
  6. Before adjusting RAM settings, adjust your CPU settings first.
    1. When you're manually tuning RAM settings, find the most stable frequency before tightening your timings. When you're tightening the timings, do these in one-step increments. For frequency, some increments are not stable, even though they're not high frequencies. For the CL clock, this number should be anywhere from 14 to 16. the tRCD should be 14 to 16, tRP 14 to 16, and tRAS from 34 to 36 (I manually tuned my Dominator Platinum SE to 2400 MHz with 14-14-14-34 timings at 1.2 volts. XMP changes my CPU cache frequency to 3.1 GHz and cranks the voltage, resulting in increased idle power consumption). Voltage should be 1.2 or 1.35 volts depending on how far you're going to push your RAM. Also leave the Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) and Command Rate alone. This video will tell you more about RAM timings and what the listed terminologies mean.
  7. Overvolting your CPU too much will burn out your CPU. Anywhere from 1.3 to 1.42 as your maximum should be safe voltage limits.
  8. When overclocking to higher frequencies, you may need to add more voltage to achieve higher clocks.

I hope I covered everything :P Enjoy.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

9 minutes ago, d7omepro said:

Again, this is probably not going to work because we don't know how your CPU handles clock and voltage changes, we don't know your PSU, cooling performance of your system overall etc.
Understand it first, then go from some base information that you can find on the internet to start your overclock and slowly dial it up (if you think the system will still be stable and temps fine) or down (if the system is unstable or temps too hot).
You could get lucky with a "just change voltage to x.xxv and your clock rate to x.xx Ghz" but if you are not you will still be on your own. Also I'm pretty sure a "4+ghz" overclock with the 1700 is hardly possible. It seems to be running insanely hot at 1.4v - 3.8Ghz on air already without taking into account that you might have a CPU that overclocks badly, meaning that you could only reach maybe 3.7Ghz at 1.4v. (source: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/20/amd_ryzen_7_1700_retail_cpu_overclocking_x_2)

If I were you, I'd shoot for a +500Mhz overclock and go from there. Again: adjust the voltage slowly, don't jump too high if you don't have to.

It's easy to OC, and there are a bunch of guides how to overclock.

Just type Ryzne overclocking on youtube and watch first page of those videos.

You will be increasing your multiplier ... probbably somewhere between 37 and 40.

CPU voltage somewhere between 1,3V and 1,417V. I wouldn't go above 1,417V for Ryzen.

About memory ... since you will have 4 DIM sticks, it will probbably work at lower clock speeds. I guess something like 2600 or 2800MHz.

That's the basic.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Overclocking all CPUs is pretty much the same, you just have different frequency and voltage limits.

Anyhow, here's a step by step guide.

1. I would go for a decent overclock to start off with, maybe something like 3.6 ghz with 1.3v. Download Asus realbench and use it to stress test for 10 or so minutes to make sure your OC is stable.

2. Go back to the bios and up the frequency by 100 MHz.

3. Go and stress tests with Asus realbench again, for 5 minutes to verify its stable.

4. If the OC wasn't stable and your system crashed or Asus realbench said instability detected, don't worry! Go back into the bios and bump the voltage up by .01v, and go back to step 3.* If your voltage is now at 1.4v, I wouldn't go any higher.

5. If it was stable, but temps were very high (above 80C, for example), you might want to go back 100 MHz.

6. If it was stable, voltage was 1.4v or below, and temps were good, go back to step 2.

7. Once you're done and you've found the highest frequency you can achieve without going past 1.4v or getting into mid 80C while stress testing, leave Asus realbench running for a few hours to make for sure that your overclock is stable. If it isn't, go back to step 5.

*you could also increase LLC instead of increasing voltage, this will make your CPU not as readily drop off voltage, which may increase the likelihood of the CPU being stable at a certain voltage, though your idle power consumption may increase as a result.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 hours ago, baginitis said:

Every CPU I've overclocked so far was from Intel (Pentium 4, I5-750, I7-3770k) but I'd be surprised if it AMD is a lot different.
Here's the basics that you can (probably) change:

>CPU clock rate (or CPU ratio, BCLK etc.)
In layman terms, this is how often your CPU "thinks" per second. Instructions that the CPU is working on need to be in order, so it all gets synced through the clock. The faster it "ticks", the faster your computer is able to perform its task. This is the number you want to get higher for more performance. This is called overclocking.

>CPU core voltage (Vcore)
This is how much voltage your CPU will draw through the motherboard.

>CPU offset voltage
For CPUs with the ability to regulate their power draw on their own. For example idle the CPU clocks itself down to 1.6Ghz only needing 1 volts but under load it can boost itself to 4Ghz and then needs more voltage, lets say 1.3 volt. The CPU can do this on its own when you overclock using offset voltage.
If your CPU can use 1.2 volts MAX pre-overclock, setting offset to 0.05v will allow it to draw a maximum of 1.25volts if needed.

General rules for all brand and any generation of CPU:
0.: always overclock your CPU through BIOS/UEFI, never any in-OS software
1.: higher clock rate usually needs more power and therefor higher voltage
2.: higher voltage leads to higher CPU temperatures
3.: if you push your voltage too high you WILL destroy your CPU

4.: Overclocking your CPU will draw more power, make sure your PSU is strong enough to handle it (putting estimated values for your voltage and clock speed into PSU calculators such as this one https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator is not a bad start)
5.: increase clock rate FIRST and then adjust your voltage in small increments until your system is stable at the desired clock rate -> look online for the clock speed others are achieving to have an estimate at where to start
6.: if you cant get it stable dial back the overclock (a stable system is a system that does not crash under full load over a long period of time)
7.: an overclock can still be unhealthy (even if the system is stable), if your temperatures are too high. In this case -> dial back your clock rate and voltage
8.: offset mode is always a good option, if your Motherboard supports it

9.: almost every CPU is unique in its overclocking performance and the exact numbers you need

I think that's pretty much it. If anyone can find a big flaw, let me know and I'll edit it as fast as I can.
For your specific problem there is literally no better way than to UNDERSTAND what overclocking is FIRST. Following a step by step guide will lead a lot of users into trouble because of rule number 9 and because a lot of step by step guides are made by idiots that don't know what they are doing. If you understood these things and you look in any BIOS/UEFI that supports overclocking you will find either the options mentioned above (for Intel) or something very similar for AMD. Using common sense and some basic logic you will then be able to figure out everything else without much trouble.

Have fun and don't kill your hardware :)

Why did you say don't kill your hardware... Does overclocking effect the hardware badly? 

2 hours ago, d7omepro said:

Why did you say don't kill your hardware... Does overclocking effect the hardware badly? 

I have written the answer in the text you quoted above. Look at my Rule number 3 and rule number 7, this should answer your question. Also please actually read what we post here, we are trying to help. If your english is not good enough to understand what we are writing, I could translate it to either German or Hungarian, alternatively just use a translator.
If you have any unanswered questions, let me know.

5 hours ago, baginitis said:

I have written the answer in the text you quoted above. Look at my Rule number 3 and rule number 7, this should answer your question. Also please actually read what we post here, we are trying to help. If your english is not good enough to understand what we are writing, I could translate it to either German or Hungarian, alternatively just use a translator.
If you have any unanswered questions, let me know.

Brother I already read everything but what I meant 

Is that means do not overclock at all?

And I'm really thankful to everyone 

8 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Overclocking all CPUs is pretty much the same, you just have different frequency and voltage limits.

Anyhow, here's a step by step guide.

1. I would go for a decent overclock to start off with, maybe something like 3.6 ghz with 1.3v. Download Asus realbench and use it to stress test for 10 or so minutes to make sure your OC is stable.

2. Go back to the bios and up the frequency by 100 MHz.

3. Go and stress tests with Asus realbench again, for 5 minutes to verify its stable.

4. If the OC wasn't stable and your system crashed or Asus realbench said instability detected, don't worry! Go back into the bios and bump the voltage up by .01v, and go back to step 3.* If your voltage is now at 1.4v, I wouldn't go any higher.

5. If it was stable, but temps were very high (above 80C, for example), you might want to go back 100 MHz.

6. If it was stable, voltage was 1.4v or below, and temps were good, go back to step 2.

7. Once you're done and you've found the highest frequency you can achieve without going past 1.4v or getting into mid 80C while stress testing, leave Asus realbench running for a few hours to make for sure that your overclock is stable. If it isn't, go back to step 5.

*you could also increase LLC instead of increasing voltage, this will make your CPU not as readily drop off voltage, which may increase the likelihood of the CPU being stable at a certain voltage, though your idle power consumption may increase as a result.

Got it thank you so much 

8 hours ago, Simon771 said:

It's easy to OC, and there are a bunch of guides how to overclock.

Just type Ryzne overclocking on youtube and watch first page of those videos.

You will be increasing your multiplier ... probbably somewhere between 37 and 40.

CPU voltage somewhere between 1,3V and 1,417V. I wouldn't go above 1,417V for Ryzen.

About memory ... since you will have 4 DIM sticks, it will probbably work at lower clock speeds. I guess something like 2600 or 2800MHz.

That's the basic.

Between 1.3 to 1.4 is always safe as I understand but is that mean that will not effect the cpu at all even if use it for long periods 

The real issue that I'm not familiar with any BIOS except  laptop bios 

So I don't know anything about overlooking and how it works 

Now I got to know so much because of u guys and I'm thankful to u guys

When I see the BIOS interface I cant understand anything I don't know what to increase and what to decrease 

I'm really scared to frie my CPU that's why I ask more and more 

These are the OC settings on my 1700, I set these in the BIOS.

Capture.PNG

38 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

These are the OC settings on my 1700, I set these in the BIOS.

Capture.PNG

It looks much easier than asrock interface ??

9 hours ago, d7omepro said:

Between 1.3 to 1.4 is always safe as I understand but is that mean that will not effect the cpu at all even if use it for long periods 

Not sure if 1,4V would drasticly decrease life span of your CPU.

I'm using 1,35V 3,85GHz for 24/7. And because I don't have option to set p-state in BIOS, my CPU will be always running at that voltage and frequency. So I will just have to see how long will CPU survive in those conditions.

From what I heard, 1,4V is still safe to use for 24/7 usage.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB