i7-7700k temps

I've been debating getting an i7-7700k, I'm not going to overclock it right off the bat, im going to get an artic freezer i32 CO cooler but ive heard that the 7700k's tend to run hot even at stock speeds, can anyone give me some numbers for a 7700k running at stock speeds on an air cooler? When i actually attempt overclocking I will probably upgrade to a liquid cooler to be safe but even then ive heard they can geta bit too hot. Is it even worth getting the 7700k or should i just wait for the next generation (not the core iX series)?

The system will mostly be used for games, some work multitasking, and audio production.  

have you considered ryzen? most audio production stuff happily uses a lot of threads so that could have a nice benefit.

9 minutes ago, Mythras said:

I've been debating getting an i7-7700k, I'm not going to overclock it right off the bat, im going to get an artic freezer i32 CO cooler but ive heard that the 7700k's tend to run hot even at stock speeds, can anyone give me some numbers for a 7700k running at stock speeds on an air cooler? When i actually attempt overclocking I will probably upgrade to a liquid cooler to be safe but even then ive heard they can geta bit too hot. Is it even worth getting the 7700k or should i just wait for the next generation (not the core iX series)?

The system will mostly be used for games, some work multitasking, and audio production.  

Its luck of the draw based on the chip you get. At stock under a gaming load you can expect 60-70 on air. Though reportedly this increases exponentially when overclocking to the point where a delid is almost a requirement for higher overclocking. I don't own a 7700k though I only have a 6700k (so I didn't have these thermal issues) and an R7 1700 (which is soldered anyway so temps are dead low). For your workstation use have you considered an 1600 or 1700? They are good for both gaming and productivity.

I will leave more detailed 7700k information to people who I know have theirs clocked high like @done12many2

Just now, manikyath said:

have you considered ryzen? most audio production stuff happily uses a lot of threads so that could have a nice benefit.

from the research i've done ableton live doesnt use more than 4 cores, but im not sure how much it would affect VST capability. However, I rarely run into issues on my i7-4700hq laptop cpu with ableton, headroom is always nice to have though. The main thing that makes me not want to get ryzen is the fact that I play gtav a good bit and ryzen tends to perform quite a bit slower with that specific title. 

I would say if you're liquid cooling the 7700k you'll be fine, and even a decent tower cooler will be fine in most cases.  If you're down with going a gen back to the 6700k, you could also get away with a cheaper air cooler like a Cryorig H7 or 212 evo, and don't have to sweat the extra heat.

i7 on X299 is a bit of a rough proposition right now, unless you plan on eventually upgrading to an i9 after the fact.

14 minutes ago, Mythras said:

can anyone give me some numbers for a 7700k running at stock speeds on an air cooler? 

For point of reference, they don't come with stock coolers.  K series CPUs of this generation need aftermarket coolers.

3 minutes ago, Mythras said:

from the research i've done ableton live doesnt use more than 4 cores, but im not sure how much it would affect VST capability. However, I rarely run into issues on my i7-4700hq laptop cpu with ableton, headroom is always nice to have though. The main thing that makes me not want to get ryzen is the fact that I play gtav a good bit and ryzen tends to perform quite a bit slower with that specific title. 

Headroom is always good but if you can confirm your primary software can only make use of 4 threads then a 7700k may make more sense. However please be aware the 1600 is over $100 cheaper and doesn't require an additional cooler purchase, as you can perform a mild overclock (3.8GHz ish) on the surprisingly good stock cooler, so that is around another £30-40 saved.

Temps wise my 7700k @ 4.8 wiith boost enabled going up to 5.2 tops out at 80c with idle temps as low as 30c, I do have a noctua d15 though and 7 case fans moving a lot of air through the case.

On the ryzen note, you get good gaming performance and great multithreaded performance. Weigh it up against the games you play.

Intel i7 8700k - Noctua NH-D15 - Asus GTX 1070 Strix - Corsair RM650x Modular - Asus ROG Maximus X HERO Z370 - Fractal Design Meshify C - 32GB Corsair LPX 3200 DDR4 - Samsung Evo 250GB x2 - Corsair Force 3 240GB - Samsung 960 Pro 500GB M.2 - LG 29UM68 29 inch Ultrawide IPS Monitor - Corsair Strafe RGB (silent switches) - Corsair Scimitar Pro - Windows 10 Pro

Does anyone know if the ryzen 1700x ships with a cooler or nah?

and if not, how is overclocking the 1700x on air cooling?

Just now, Biggerboot said:

Nah, only 1700 does.  The X variants don't offers a lot of benefits though.

mainly just that you would get the performance of an overclocked 1700 from a stock 1700x

2 minutes ago, Mythras said:

Does anyone know if the ryzen 1700x ships with a cooler or nah?

The 1700 does the 1700x does not

Intel i7 8700k - Noctua NH-D15 - Asus GTX 1070 Strix - Corsair RM650x Modular - Asus ROG Maximus X HERO Z370 - Fractal Design Meshify C - 32GB Corsair LPX 3200 DDR4 - Samsung Evo 250GB x2 - Corsair Force 3 240GB - Samsung 960 Pro 500GB M.2 - LG 29UM68 29 inch Ultrawide IPS Monitor - Corsair Strafe RGB (silent switches) - Corsair Scimitar Pro - Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vertis said:

The 1700 does the 1700x does not

You just need a very modest overclock with the 1700 that can easily be achieved on the stock cooler.  It sells a lot better for that reason and is probably why they had to slash prices on the X chips.

24 minutes ago, Mythras said:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1621347/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/0_100

We've got a few folks hitting 4.9's on air with D15 coolers.  As @tom_w141 stated, luck of the draw with regards to silicon quality plays a big role, but most 7700k CPUs have no issues with breaking 5 GHz once cooled better.  

woww i see what you mean, im watching a video where the 1700 is outperforming the 1800x with air cooling because the tdp is so much lower so it doesnt hit thermal throttling when the 1800x or 1700x does. I think the 1700 might actually be the play, im gonna do a bit more reasearch but its looking better and better the longer I look into it.

5 hours ago, Mythras said:

woww i see what you mean, im watching a video where the 1700 is outperforming the 1800x with air cooling because the tdp is so much lower so it doesnt hit thermal throttling when the 1800x or 1700x does. I think the 1700 might actually be the play, im gonna do a bit more reasearch but its looking better and better the longer I look into it.

1700 is a great CPU mine is at 4GHZ (above 1800X stock) However they are all the same chip despite their product name and default speeds. The 1700 has a TDP of 65 when its clocks are lower, after overclocking like mine the TDP will increase. Still not an issue mine stays very cool without the need for a delid because AMD soldered the IHS.