Macbook pro 13 for CAD ?

Hi guys 

I need a new laptop for university , i am going to study mechanical engineering so i need a maschine which can handle cad at least a bit. 

i have a pretty powerfull desktop at home where i will do the harder tasks.

The point is i prefer mac os so i would like to stay with a macbook ( time to say goodby to the 2008 macbook which still serves me :D ), but some of the software im going to use doesn´t supports mac os ( catia , SolidWorks ).

My question now is whether the macbook pro 13 inch 2016 in base config with 16 gb ram can handle that kind of software at least a bit , because the real modelling and rendering will be done on my desktop. 

And would the dell XPS or the Razer Blade be a better alternative ?

When there is someone who made experiences with those maschines in the particular tasks then i would be very thankfully if you could help me to decide ;)

Greetings, and have a nice day

This is where apples go if someone else already took a bite out of it.

320-liter-compostbak-van-keter-aanrader-63146.jpeg.4c4267562b3491c6a8f64cc22d9d9040.jpeg

Compost bin.

Also, if some of the software you NEED to have (for uni), can't be used on MacOS... Why even bother looking for one of those things? Doesn't make sence to me.

Don't buy macbook pro,they are trash and waste of money and 2016 macbook pro are having hardware issue. Go with Razer blade or Dell. But you can get cheaper but powerful laptops in this price point. I prefer dell XPS 15.

Honestly, if you need Solidworks, you probably shouldn't be buying a Mac.

Solidworks is very CPU intensive, a dual core with hyperthreading is not what you want, especially if you have to mess around with dual booting to get there.

I also don't think you should be getting a razor blade, those things just die out of nowhere and you don't want that for school.

I reckon, Lenovo ThinkPad W or T series, HP Elitebook or Zbook or Dell Precision or Latitude are the way to go, built like a brick, legendary build quality and warranty support, easy to upgrade and repair...

kek, just no.

1. Shit thermals

2. Shit performance 

3. No support for your programs

4. overpriced 

A XPS 15 would be a much better option, hell basically just get a windows laptop with decent temps and a real quad core, not dual core with HT.

If you want something that is better built, then ThinkPad P51 or Dell Precision 7k series or if you want a 14" then T470p  or latitude 5480.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I reckon, Lenovo ThinkPad W or T series, HP Elitebook or Zbook or Dell Precision or Latitude are the way to go, built like a brick, legendary build quality and warranty support, easy to upgrade and repair...

To add to this: Dell Latitude 7000 series is NOT an option (they're all U processors).  The Latitude 5580 and Latitude 5480 are the models with the HQ processors you would need for Solidworks. 

The Dell Precision 5520 is awesome if you need thin and light.  Things a beast.  If you don't care about size (judging by your picks of MBP, Razer Blade, and XPS 15, you do.) then the Precision 5480 and Precision 3520 are also options.  

XPS 15 is an option but I would probably opt for the Precision 5520.

I can't say a whole lot on Lenovo products as I haven't used them - we have Dells at work here.  I would opt for ThinkPad P51, ThinkPad T470p, and the Yoga 720 though.

Dell: Precision 5520, XPS 15, Latitude 5580/5480

Lenovo: Thinkpad P51, Thinkpad T470p, Yoga 720

HP: lol.  Go with Dell or Lenovo.