Ryzen 1600 Can't Up Voltage

Just now, sgloux3470 said:

Perhaps you just lost the silicon lottery in the most spectacular fashion and your chip is horrendously unstable/requires tons of voltage to be stable at all.

Are you sure you're not raising the NB/SoC voltage instead of the CPU vCore?  I've noticed that if I increase that too much it causes my CPU to run stock clocks regardless of what I put in.

It's not really a question of stability. Nothing is unstable. Temps are fine and it never actually chokes. It's entirely about the multiplier bugging out when voltages run past 1.25v. I'm not touching bridge or SOC voltage.

Quick update -

On the ASUS board, using OFFSET MODE for vcore WORKS and does not declock the CPU. Try using offset rather than manual if at all possible.

I'm still baffled and kind of want to experiment with the drivers, but I guess I'm OK for now.

I have the exact same issue, can't up the voltage without it instantly downclocking to 1.5 Ghz. Using MSI b350 tomahawk and r5 1600.

Can confirm it has nothing to do with temperatures, as i was able to overclock my cpu to 3.9 at 1.35 V while getting about 78 C at load.

That was however on the stock bios that the mobo came with, ever since i updated to the new 1.60 bios version from june, i am unable to increase the voltage without getting anything else that 1.5 Ghz in windows. It doesn't matter whether the system is under load or idle, never goes above 1.5 Ghz... Tested multiple programs to monitor this, including hwinfo, hwmonitor, aida64, ryzen master...

I have a feeling the issue is in the new bios version, as i was able to overclock no problem on the old 1.20 version.

Edit: Just confirmed what the op stated, cpu freq doesn't declock on 1.2125 V and below, set anything higher than that, and it goes back to 1.5 Ghz again... 

Edited by DwmRusher
Update

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue on gigabyte aorus x370 gaming 5 with massive air cooler down clocks with manual voltage. I am about to try going back to f5 instead of f6 and see if it works

f5 is not an option as soon as I changed memory to use xmp profile and nothing else system got stuck in boot loop and bios would just freeze after it reset itself, I used my motherboards dual bios to recover back to f6.

On F6 I can change loadline calibration without triggering underclock but not voltage. Oddly enough stress test will continue to crash at higher clock settings until voltage is high enough linux see the chip as the 3.9 ghz set, windows see it as the max clock but shows it always running at 1500 and

video render test and bench marks on both oses show the 1500mhz is the operating speed. Bit odd it still demands the higher voltage to not crash. It does not fluctuate at all it is locked at 1500 plenty of thermal headroom. at 1.35 volts it will be running 1500mhz and crash but at 1.37 it will finish stress test and run stable but still never leave the 1500mhz. 

• 1 month later...

Got new F8 bios going to try the oc again at some point but scared dual bios already saved me once

f8 on gaming 5 is a winner xmp profiles work and voltage control works can get good oc :D