Ryzen 1600 Can't Up Voltage

Hey there! First time overclocking and I seem to have a few issues.

So my build is as follows:

Ryzen 5 1600 with default Wraith Spire cooler

MSI b350 Tomahawk

CoolerMaster HAF-912 with 200mm front intake, 120 mm side intake, 120 mm rear and top exhaust

So I've been overclocking and tinkering with things, and I noticed that when my VCORE is set to auto, even with stock speeds, my voltage reaches 1.44. I feel thats a little excessive for auto and stock speeds? But my real issue is this: every time I raise the voltage above 1.2125 volts the CPU runs as 1550MHz. Ive tried lowering the speed, upping the speed, and even letting it be on auto. But the only way i can get the actual clock speed out of it is if my voltages are set at <1.2125. Ive found a stable overclock at 3725 MHz with temps maxing at 68C, but I really am unsure as to why my voltages are throttling my chip? Everywhere I look it says most people start their overclock at 1.35 volts, with 1.4 being near the top of the safe zone. So I'm really confused as to why my chip isn't going above 1.2125.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Kingblade171 said:

cpu temps might be the issue. There is no way you can cool a 1,4V cpu without custom watercooling

You are correct that is pretty high for stock but many motherboards like to pump more volts than needed at auto, this is why even if you don't want to increase the clock speed do a manual voltage and lower it. Anyway is the CPU staying at 1550Mhz even when stressed tested or just at idle? 68C does seem a bit high for less than 1.25volts maybe this is as simple as temperature issue. It is weird that you did not have temperature issues before though. I would update bios too if you haven't already. 

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

You are correct that is pretty high for stock but many motherboards like to pump more volts than needed at auto, this is why even if you don't want to increase the clock speed do a manual voltage and lower it. Anyway is the CPU staying at 1550Mhz even when stressed tested or just at idle? 68C does seem a bit high for less than 1.25volts maybe this is as simple as temperature issue. It is weird that you did not have temperature issues before though. I would update bios too if you haven't already. 

I am at the most recent BIOS. The speeds still stayed at 1550 even when all cores were stressed and under 100% load. I figured that with this High Airflow case and a lot of ambient cooling I could sneak away with keeping the stock cooler and still get pretty good overclocking. Do you think if I invested in an AIO i could push it significantly further? Or would you think 3.7GHz a good goal for stock cooling and not worth investing another possibly $50 for a few hundred MHz?

1 minute ago, Kingblade171 said:

I am at the most recent BIOS. The speeds still stayed at 1550 even when all cores were stressed and under 100% load. I figured that with this High Airflow case and a lot of ambient cooling I could sneak away with keeping the stock cooler and still get pretty good overclocking. Do you think if I invested in an AIO i could push it significantly further? Or would you think 3.7GHz a good goal for stock cooling and not worth investing another possibly $50 for a few hundred MHz?

Have you tried disabling automatic clock speed? 

2 minutes ago, kecap said:

Have you tried disabling automatic clock speed? 

Yes, Highest i could achieve stable was actually 3700MHz without is crashing, not 3725. Thats what Im running at right now

5 minutes ago, Kingblade171 said:

What were the temperatures at the voltages above 1.2 under load are we taking like 75-80c? If that is the case I am sure a better cooling solution would help. If you don't care about the single threaded performance boost that comes from overclocking (which helps a lot in gaming) you can leave it as is but those temps would personally make me unconformable as it is, so a cooling upgrade is probably worth it.

20 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

What were the temperatures at the voltages above 1.2 under load are we taking like 75-80c? If that is the case I am sure a better cooling solution would help. If you don't care about the single threaded performance boost that comes from overclocking (which helps a lot in gaming) you can leave it as is but those temps would personally make me unconformable as it is, so a cooling upgrade is probably worth it.

They were at about 70 tops. Nothing insane, but i also didnt run too many tests becuase whenever the voltage was above 1.2 the speeds were at 1550 so I didnt think it was worth it to run too many

2 minutes ago, Kingblade171 said:

They were at about 70 tops. Nothing insane, but i also didnt run too many tests becuase whenever the voltage was above 1.2 the speeds were at 1550 so I didnt think it was worth it to run too many

From what I hear, Ryzen CPUs don't overclock well past ~75c even though their thermal limit is not until 95c Ryzen is still new to me and I don't even know if 95c is the official thermal throttle temperature but I still think a better cooling solution would help get higher clocks. 

1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

From what I hear, Ryzen CPUs don't overclock well past ~75c even though their thermal limit is not until 95c Ryzen is still new to me and I don't even know if 95c is the official thermal throttle temperature but I still think a better cooling solution would help get higher clocks. 

Awesome, thanks! Why do you think I can only go to 1.2125 Volts? Just because of the temperatures? Because almost any other ryzen owner goes easily to 1.35 or 1.4

3 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

cpu temps might be the issue. There is no way you can cool a 1,4V cpu without custom watercooling

The wraith cooler can and the chip being soldered yes it's hot but 78 max temps when I tested my 1600 with stock cooler at 4ghz 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

4 hours ago, Kingblade171 said:

Awesome, thanks! Why do you think I can only go to 1.2125 Volts? Just because of the temperatures? Because almost any other ryzen owner goes easily to 1.35 or 1.4

Yes I would guess it is probably the temperatures so I believe you can run it at 1.35+ with decent cooling and gain stability for higher clocks. 

Hi!

I have same problems here. Specs:

R5 1600 stock cooler

ASUS X370 PRIME pro bios 6012

Corsair LPX CL 15 3000mhz running 2666mhz

I am only able to manually increase the voltages to 1.3125V and 3.8ghz and it passes AIDA64 without crashes and temps being ~75. Only problem is when i boot my PC like after few hours it downclocks to 1.5ghz in windows, but when rebooting to BIOS it boots back to 3.8. Also wondering why I can't raise the voltages since i've seen ppl to OC their 1600 with stock cooler using vcore 1,35 and above. Is it a bad chip or is there somekind of a overcurrent problem.

Now im running at 3.7ghz and the vcore set to auto and the temps is around 65.

On 4.6.2017 at 0:17 AM, jjohnthedon1 said:

The wraith cooler can and the chip being soldered yes it's hot but 78 max temps when I tested my 1600 with stock cooler at 4ghz 

do some rendering and see how temps are. Also ´why cant you at least something like a noctua NH-U12s

On 2017-6-3 at 7:17 PM, Tiwaz said:

thats where you are wrong bud

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

8 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

thats where you are wrong bud

nobody wants his fan to run at 100% all the time srsly

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

nobody wants his fan to run at 100% all the time srsly

unknown.png

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

do some rendering and see how temps are. Also ´why cant you at least something like a noctua NH-U12s

What are you on about ? 

I have a h110 and my chip doesn't break 55 rendering at 4 Ghz 1.39v

i only tested the stock cooler to see how good it was 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

So does any1 know why you can't raise the volts? The temps obviosly are not the issue here. Could it be faulty chip or bios or windows installation?

• 4 weeks later...

rezzing this because it's really annoying me. it is definitely not temperatures. @ auto voltage (1.275 there or thereabouts) and 3.7ghz, I'm p95'ing at max 58C. (I am liquid cooled).

But every damn time I go NEAR the voltage setting in BIOS, the cpu drops to 1550mhz and sits there like an idiot. It's baffling. I can't find another setting anywhere that changes it. What is going on here?

On 6/3/2017 at 1:17 PM, Tiwaz said:

*cough* any high end air cooler / AIO *cough*

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

2 hours ago, budleigh said:

rezzing this because it's really annoying me. it is definitely not temperatures. @ auto voltage (1.275 there or thereabouts) and 3.7ghz, I'm p95'ing at max 58C. (I am liquid cooled).

But every damn time I go NEAR the voltage setting in BIOS, the cpu drops to 1550mhz and sits there like an idiot. It's baffling. I can't find another setting anywhere that changes it. What is going on here?

Sounds like the motherboard has an issue

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

I'm having a similar issue, except I can't go to 1.35 volts or above on mine. From what little I can find on different forums, this seems to be an issue with MSI's b350 motherboards. I don't know if it's hardware or if they just need to come out with a new BIOS update or what. If you find out anything else, let me know! I'm getting pretty salty myself over here. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've now experienced this issue on two separate motherboards - an MSI x370 SLI PLUS and an ASUS ROG STRIX x370-f Gaming. Both using the same CPU (1600).

It seems that it is quantitatively related to voltage. Anything above 1.25 causes the permanent throttling to 1550mhz.

I'm starting to suspect that it might be the chipset drivers. I'm going to try a clean install tomorrow and run some more experiments. In any event, this does NOT look like it is motherboard related - it is CPU or (most likely) chip-driver related.

Perhaps you just lost the silicon lottery in the most spectacular fashion and your chip is horrendously unstable/requires tons of voltage to be stable at all.

Are you sure you're not raising the NB/SoC voltage instead of the CPU vCore?  I've noticed that if I increase that too much it causes my CPU to run stock clocks regardless of what I put in.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti