EVGA G2 vs G3

MarkH123456

I am going to be buying a new power supply. I notice the EVGA super nova g2 is on sale on amazon for 79 dollars, while the g3 is 106 dollars. What is the difference between the g3 and g2?

Just now, chris76816 said:

The g3 is newer but they are both fantastic power supplies. Definitely go for the g2

Alright thanks, but what is the 10 dollar difference at MSRP? I already know the g3 is smaller, but what are the other differences?

8 minutes ago, MarkH123456 said:

Alright thanks, but what is the 10 dollar difference at MSRP? I already know the g3 is smaller, but what are the other differences?

most likely refined design, ie less noise and heat output. Maybe even slightly more efficient.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

9 minutes ago, MarkH123456 said:

Slightly better power regulation, Smaller size, Looks better, Same efficiency level, but the G3 is extremely close to platinum efficiency, while the G2 is firmly in gold. Basically a small revision over the already very good G2

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Slightly better power regulation, Smaller size, Looks better, Same efficiency level, but the G3 is extremely close to platinum efficiency, while the G2 is firmly in gold. Basically a small revision over the already very good G2

Ok, thank you. Do you mean voltage ripple and what exactly is 80+ efficiency? What difference does it make if my psu has 80+ bronze compared to 80+ titanium?

6 minutes ago, MarkH123456 said:

Ok, thank you. Do you mean voltage ripple and what exactly is 80+ efficiency? What difference does it make if my psu has 80+ bronze compared to 80+ titanium?

Just means you burn less power which equates to cheaper electricity bill. That said, you also need to factor cost difference because it could be years before you see return on investment based off the money you saved in power vs the price differences between a $60 bronze unit and a $150 titanium unit for example.

Just now, Mooshi said:

Just means you burn less power which equates to cheaper electricity bill. That said, you also need to factor cost difference because it could be years before you see return on investment based off the money you saved in power vs the price differences between a $60 bronze unit and a $150 titanium unit for example.

So what would be different if I had a 80+ bronze 500 watt vs a 80+ titanium 500 watt? What would be a difference?

7 minutes ago, MarkH123456 said:

80+ bronze means the efficiency (AC to DC) is worse (I think it's around 80-85% under 25, 50, 75, and 100% loads)

usually cheaper psus that have worse voltage regulation/whatever would be 80+ bronze, but there are a few that are pretty good but 80+ bronze. 

80+ titanium is around the 97% or so efficiency (AC ago DC) with the same % loads, usually titanium psus are higher end and have better components inside :P

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, MarkH123456 said:

So what would be different if I had a 80+ bronze 500 watt vs a 80+ titanium 500 watt? What would be a difference?

Basic answer? A lighter wallet. If you can afford a higher efficient psu, go for it. You save in the long run on power, but that could take awhile. 

Sales are your best friend and I say Gold and Platinum units are the best value for efficiency and what you pay.

10 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

most likely refined design, ie less noise and heat output. Maybe even slightly more efficient.

G3 is louder; it is more efficient but the reduced footprint makes heat dissipation more difficult. Transients and regulation improved over the G2; ripple still roughly the same.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

80+ bronze means the efficiency (AC to DC) is worse (I think it's around 80-85% under 25, 50, 75, and 100% loads)

usually cheaper psus that have worse voltage regulation/whatever would be 80+ bronze, but there are a few that are pretty good but 80+ bronze. 

80+ titanium is around the 97% or so efficiency (AC ago DC) with the same % loads, usually titanium psus are higher end and have better components inside :P

Ok, when you say 97% or 80%, does that mean it waste less power in the ac to dc conversion process when comparing 80+ bronze to 80+ titanium?

1 minute ago, MarkH123456 said:

Ok, when you say 97% or 80%, does that mean it waste less power in the ac to dc conversion process when comparing 80+ bronze to 80+ titanium?

yes.

so a 500W 80% efficient PSU will draw 600W from the wall, and loose 20% in the conversion when at full load

a 500W 95% efficient PSU will draw 525W from the wall, and loose 5% in the conversion when at full load.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, MarkH123456 said:

Yes

80% efficiency = you need 20% more AC for one unit of DC

so, to get 100w DC, you need 120w AC (20w inefficiency) if you have 80%

to get 100w DC you would need 103w AC (IIRC titanium units wouldn't be 97% efficiency when it's not ~25, 50, 75 or 100% total usage)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

yes.

so a 500W 80% efficient PSU will draw 600W from the wall, and loose 20% in the conversion when at full load

a 500W 95% efficient PSU will draw 525W from the wall, and loose 5% in the conversion when at full load.

Ok, thank you very much!

17 hours ago, MarkH123456 said:

The G3 is minutely better in every way bar, I do believe, noise. The G2 is just fine, save your money.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||