Should I liquid cooled GTX 1080?

ducdat231

Hello everyone, I just recently put together a Ryzen PC with a GTX 1080 Turbo from Gigabyte (I know it's not the best 1080 to get - in my defense I got it for $429 on newegg with 8% ebay bucks and 1.5% cashback on credit card).

Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ducdat231/saved/q4mcf7

The card pretty much smashes all the game maxed out at 1440p (Witcher 3, RoTR, Prey, etc.) so I am pretty happy with it. However, it gets hot fairly fast and when fan speed hit 70% and above the noise level is un-ignorable So I guess my questions are: 

1. Should I consider getting this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXDZHUE/ref=twister_B01MQD0M3V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to liquid cool the GPU (even though at 80% fan speed the temperature stays consistently between 77-81oC)

2. How good is this cooler from EVGA and will there be any performance gain (currently I have mine OC'd at 1850mhz and +300mhz)?

should you water cool it, depends, if your aggressively overclocking it, it might be worth considering to try to have low temps. If your just keeping it at stock no.

As for what water block to use, dunno sorry

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

I have just finished a full custom loop, with dual (360 + 280) radiators on my reference 1080 and 6700k.

it is working great and the overclocks are killer with temps that are very chill

> 2139 on 1080, <45oC

> 4.7 on 6700k, <62oC

That said, I wouldn't bother to water cool unless you are particularly noise averse and feel the need to tinker. $120 is a lot to squeeze a couple more frames. I actually don't think you'll get much more of an OC than +300 offset anyway (power draw is limiting). I'd invest that money and turn it into a Ti or 20-series upgrade next year, and just keep your case well ventilated for the time being. 

I have the MSI Seahawk 1080 in my other rig, and the overclock is same and would be similar to your EVGA aftermarket solution. 

Your option also is undervolting the card. As you said your GPU smashes games that you play - maybe you don't need for it to work so hard? Consider playing with undervolting as it should gain you better temparatures so also noise levels from fans, and lower electricity bill - all at the cost of fps that you can only see when you have fps meter enabled.