Senn. HD650 vs Beyr. DT990 vs (already owned) AKG712 Pro

Darkmatter35

So I'm looking to purchase new headphones pretty soon. I currently own a pair of AKG 712 pro's and from the moment I picked them up I loved their clarity and ability to separate the instruments in music. To me they sound great for every type of music but they fall really short with the bass and certain mids. But recently I have not preferred them much and I have been listening to music through my never aging M-Audio AV40 speakers. This is mainly because I don't really play fps games anymore and having that huge sound stage is not that needed. 

So I picked the Sennheiser HD 650's and the Beyrdynamic DT990's from popular opinion here on the forum and I wanna know what you guys think. I listen to all kinds of music in the ranges from the low bass to the high end of mids. Popular genres include Classic/indie/electronic/punk Rock, Pop, Rap, and lofi hip hop. So basically I would enjoy flushed bass/mids with the ability to separate instruments and not have shitty highs at least. 

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "fall short on bass"? Have you compared them to any other headphones? How does the bass compare to your speakers?

24 minutes ago, SSL said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "fall short on bass"? Have you compared them to any other headphones? How does the bass compare to your speakers?

The bass is just not pronounced on the 712's. With my speakers I feel like the bass is directed towards me and with the 712's is feels quiet and not restrained. It's almost like there are speakers all around me but they are pointed away and their volume is on low. This makes the low end feel absent and the mids slightly washed out but still really accurate.

I prefer my HD600's over my DT990's in every conceivable way. The DT990's are too colored for me.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

@Darkmatter35

I also have AKG K712 Pro, and I do have experience with quite a few Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones as well.

K712 Pro is actually one of more warm and bassy headphones that are in its quality/price range.

You will find that HD650 and DT990 will actually be even LESS bassy than K712 Pro. I have no idea why you picked these two as alternatives if you are looking "bass" in particular.

Did someone said bass? Then TH-X00 is the right one for you! lol xD

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

3 hours ago, StormEye said:

@Darkmatter35

I also have AKG K712 Pro, and I do have experience with quite a few Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones as well.

K712 Pro is actually one of more warm and bassy headphones that are in its quality/price range.

You will find that HD650 and DT990 will actually be even LESS bassy than K712 Pro. I have no idea why you picked these two as alternatives if you are looking "bass" in particular.

I've been using my shure se215's for a while because I traveled a lot. I think my vision is clouded lol. Idk with the 712's the bass just feels absent  and airy while the mids feel slightly lacking.

If you want bass then the DT770s are really good. The bass is rumbly in a way that means you can enjoy wathcing a movie as if you're listening with a set of speakers. And this coupled with the soundstage means that if you ever want to go back to FPS gaming, you're set. Personally, I'd go for the 650s due to their versatility.

4 hours ago, StormEye said:

@Darkmatter35

Well I only have experience with AKG reference sets, Q701 and K712. Given what I stated in the original post what would you suggest for that sound range?

14 hours ago, Darkmatter35 said:

Well I only have experience with AKG reference sets, Q701 and K712. Given what I stated in the original post what would you suggest for that sound range?

Go to youtube and search for z-reviews sound demo if you don't have the time to go to a local audio shop. He has sound demos for many mainstream headphones. But i must say this, the demo doesn't provide 100% of the audio reproduction like the real thing, but its there to give you a general idea of the character of those headphones. I got my TH-X00 cos of his demo, yeah its not the best but i liked it, got the headphone and never looked back ever since.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

50 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Go to youtube and search for z-reviews >:( sound demo if you don't have the time to go to a local audio shop. He has sound demos for many mainstream headphones. But i must say this, the demo doesn't provide 100% of the audio reproduction like the real thing, but its there to give you a general idea of the character of those headphones. I got my TH-X00 cos of his demo, yeah its not the best but i liked it, got the headphone and never looked back ever since.

Wish I had ban powers on this 4ham, you would be out on your ass yesterday!!! :P

2 hours ago, SSL said:

Wish I had ban powers on this 4ham, you would be out on your ass yesterday!!! :P

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuu... I know hes not the most reliable source, but the demos can help a little bit if he doesn't have to time to visit the local shops :P