Doomsday Prep

Natsoup
9 hours ago, Natsoup said:

If I wanted to do some "Doomsday Preparation" and, thinking ahead, preserve media that I consider valuable (movies, Tv series, books), How should I start? Right now these are the options I'm considering:

- Buy many DVD-RW and save movies and shows in 720p

- Buy a decent printer and print books from PDF files or transcripts (only one copy of each book for safekeeping)

- Buy large hard drives and keep everything there

Only problem with the last option is that it takes more specific hardware to extract data. First two would be very costly though. Any other ideas or improvements upon my own?

I would buy lots of Vodka and mix, plus a ton of ammo and guns and build up a 4x4 army truck to be reliable as fuck and easily repairable. Kind of like The Walking Dead. Have your hole in the ground to live in, but put everything else in a hole beside the house hole. Oh and dont forget the grenades, smoke bombs, medical supplies.

The thread was moved to the off-topic section.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

This gets me thinking, I know you can make bullets using those old fashioned mechanical machines, but is it possible to make guns rust style? 

When it comes to books, DVDs and Blu-Rays I wouldn't even worry about it. Most likely these things will be left more or less unplundered seeing as people will be too busy surviving in a world without electricity to bother with them. When things get better and society begins to reform itself (if) there'll be plenty of sealed copies of Speed and Bad Boys 2 left lying around to get back up and running in no time. The real important info (ie science and engineering papers and literature, etc) is going to be locked up in university libraries so if you really want to do your part for the human race in the post apocalypse I'd recommend setting up camp in one of the those libraries to safeguard it and DON'T burn the books for warmth.

Twinkies, lots of them...

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

Clearly tape drives are the answer 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

This gets me thinking, I know you can make bullets using those old fashioned mechanical machines, but is it possible to make guns rust style? 

all you need a pipe some ammo and a hammer 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Printing on standard computer paper is a no go.  Might want to invest in good high quality archival stuff.  That way the printed materials might survive long enough to be burned by future generations.  Another issue is that DVDs and Blu-rays will deteriorate after sometime, so you might want to invest in archival grade discs as well.  

If we're talking about not worrying too much on longevity... just buy the books and dvds of what you want. 

Honestly you are putting a lot of stock into being able to stay put where you currently are.  Should the doomsday epicenter be located near you, for instance a super volcano or meteorite impact; then all of your effort will be wasted.

My suggestion is to concentrate on what you are able to bring with you should you need to leave and make that is as protected and portable as possible; then everything else consider it a luxery.

That being said if you are going to store anything for post event living i would suggest episodes from DIY and home & garden type shows; plus copious DIY related books.

19 hours ago, mariushm said:

Goes to show how people think.. you're in US so naturally you think of guns but people in other countries where almost nobody has guns wouldn't care about them.

Even if you took the most gun free nation in the world and place it in a post apocalyptic setting; even the most ardent anti-gun person would be clamoring for one.  These sort of events bring out the opportunist who have no qualms with using weapons and force to make sure they survive, and your ability to defend yourself will greatly depend on what you have to defend yourself.

Your comment about a bow or machete is valid though; as they are more re-usable for prolonged use.

18 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

but is it possible to make guns rust style? 

can you rephrase that? Not gathering your meaning. 

Use a special data tape like the ones that stored the Death Star plans. Those seemed to have worked for the Empire until the whole Scariff incident... 9_9

18 hours ago, Lt.Speirs said:

Twinkies, lots of them...

The person or the food?

5 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

Honestly you are putting a lot of stock into being able to stay put where you currently are.  Should the doomsday epicenter be located near you, for instance a super volcano or meteorite impact; then all of your effort will be wasted.

My suggestion is to concentrate on what you are able to bring with you should you need to leave and make that is as protected and portable as possible; then everything else consider it a luxery.

That being said if you are going to store anything for post event living i would suggest episodes from DIY and home & garden type shows; plus copious DIY related books.

Even if you took the most gun free nation in the world and place it in a post apocalyptic setting; even the most ardent anti-gun person would be clamoring for one.  These sort of events bring out the opportunist who have no qualms with using weapons and force to make sure they survive, and your ability to defend yourself will greatly depend on what you have to defend yourself.

Your comment about a bow or machete is valid though; as they are more re-usable for prolonged use.

can you rephrase that? Not gathering your meaning. 

Sorry. Rust is a survival game with a crafting mechanism where you gather pipes and everyday items for guns you make on your own. For example here is the semi automatic rifle:http://rust.wikia.com/wiki/Semi-Automatic_Rifle and this is the "waterpipe shotgun":http://rust.wikia.com/wiki/Waterpipe_Shotgun

You need basic things like illegal in NA user programmable radios, extra batteries, etc, welded into a grounded metal box to protect it from emp

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The most enduring form of information would be stone engravings or the sort. There is probably some more enduring form of porcelain, though. Metal corrodes, sadly. Ultimately the best solution would having fundamental stuff like transistors, physics, mathematics, periodic table, genetics, etc. (all of our very important, more general advancements.) then have stuff like human history, engineering schematics, etc. Stored in smaller books made out of some hyper durable composite. Then have a fileserver hooked up to geothermal (likely safest and lost durable)  power, which would basically be a Petabytes worth of all of humans relevant scientific, geographic, etc, information. 

Idk about like a living area or something. 

Tl:Dr varying tiers that are a tradeoff of information durability and information density. Going from low content levels of the most fundamental stuff that basically can't be damaged to a hyper dense, but relatively fragile information store of basically everything. 

- snip-

10 hours ago, Eazy Cheezy said:

Use a special data tape like the ones that stored the Death Star plans. Those seemed to have worked for the Empire until the whole Scariff incident... 9_9

Thats not a story the sith would tell you. 

- snip-

15 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

Sorry. Rust is a survival game with a crafting mechanism where you gather pipes and everyday items for guns you make on your own. For example here is the semi automatic rifle:http://rust.wikia.com/wiki/Semi-Automatic_Rifle and this is the "waterpipe shotgun":http://rust.wikia.com/wiki/Waterpipe_Shotgun

Ahh ok,

Well it is possible to craft your own firearms with some basic tools.  Hell people in prison have fashioned their own firearms for use against other prisoners.

15 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

Ahh ok,

Well it is possible to craft your own firearms with some basic tools.  Hell people in prison have fashioned their own firearms for use against other prisoners.

I like how the primary discussion in this thread is just about how to store TV series and such in the case of a doomsday...

Wanna know how to prepare for the doomsday? Get a microSD card and download wikipedia to it. Run it from your phone. Get a few good solar panels to charge your phone with.

That's all you need as far as computing goes. Why get a bunch of optical drives/HDDs/tape drives when they just take up a ton of space, uses a lot of power, and breaks very easily from physical contact? Those qualities are terrible in a doomsday scenario. Besides, you don't need a lot of space. The entire English version of Wikipedia, not including images, takes up something like 10GB when compressed.