Doomsday Prep

Natsoup

If I wanted to do some "Doomsday Preparation" and, thinking ahead, preserve media that I consider valuable (movies, Tv series, books), How should I start? Right now these are the options I'm considering:

- Buy many DVD-RW and save movies and shows in 720p

- Buy a decent printer and print books from PDF files or transcripts (only one copy of each book for safekeeping)

- Buy large hard drives and keep everything there

Only problem with the last option is that it takes more specific hardware to extract data. First two would be very costly though. Any other ideas or improvements upon my own?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

When thinking about a doomsday you should take into thought that electricity will be gone. 

If you have solar energy and some backup batteries you could download the whole wikipedia onto a harddrive/laptop. Then while solar power regenerates your backup batteries you can for example keep a laptop charged. 

But then, you will also need food and water, without both every stored data may be obsolete because well, you won't be around anymore to use it. 

If you live in a big city you are screwed by default. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

8 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Only problem with the last option is that it takes more specific hardware to extract data. First two would be very costly though. Any other ideas or improvements upon my own?

What do you mean with this?

Sig under construction.

How "doomsday" are you thinking here? Will you have reliable electricity, and will you want to use it to watch GoT for the 33rd time. 

Just now, Tedster said:

What do you mean with this?

I mean that most laptops will need an adapter to read hard drives unless I use all 2.5' drives while most PC's and Macbooks will have a DVD drive

1 minute ago, Bustapalapeno said:

How "doomsday" are you thinking here? Will you have reliable electricity, and will you want to use it to watch GoT for the 33rd time. 

GoT for the 3rd time, yes ;) but no reliable electricity. Solar is being used in this scenario

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

3 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

When thinking about a doomsday you should take into thought that electricity will be gone. 

If you have solar energy and some backup batteries you could download the whole wikipedia onto a harddrive/laptop. Then while solar power regenerates your backup batteries you can for example keep a laptop charged. 

But then, you will also need food and water, without both every stored data may be obsolete because well, you won't be around anymore to use it. 

If you live in a big city you are screwed by default. 

Wikipedia is not a bad idea. I don't live in a big city so no worries there. Solar is the way to go here.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Just now, Natsoup said:

Wikipedia is not a bad idea. I don't live in a big city so no worries there. Solar is the way to go here.

Yeah - and it's not all too difficult to archive the entirety of either. Of course they probably don't want you doing it, but it's easy.

Sig under construction.

Buy a bucket of blue paint and paint whatever it isn't blue yet to blue. Works perfectly for me I guess. Blue is <3 blue is lyf

2 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

I mean that most laptops will need an adapter to read hard drives unless I use all 2.5' drives while most PC's and Macbooks will have a DVD drive

GoT for the 3rd time, yes ;) but no reliable electricity. Solar is being used in this scenario

Ah. Well you should have some nice enclosure things with you. Also perhaps you should be storing any storage drives in enclosures anyways as they would be more survivable.

Sig under construction.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Buy a bucket of blue paint and paint whatever it isn't blue yet to blue. Works perfectly for me I guess. Blue is <3 blue is lyf

Dex are u ok

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Wow, even your member title thing fits!!

Sig under construction.

3 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Ah. Well you should have some nice enclosure things with you. Also perhaps you should be storing any storage drives in enclosures anyways as they would be more survivable.

DVD a bad idea?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

2 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

DVD a bad idea?

yes, you need a Blu-Ray

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

DVD a bad idea?

I'm not saying that DVDs are a bad idea, I'm just saying that more mediums is more better.

You should have things stored on optical disks (and if you're going optical I should really suggest bluray discs for their higher capacity), on hard drives that are nicely secured, and perhaps even on tape.

If you're storing TV shows and movies or whatever, you should consider encoding them in HEVC for while it'd take longer to do, they'd take up much less space.

Sig under construction.

yes, you need a Blu-Ray

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

I'm not saying that DVDs are a bad idea, I'm just saying that more mediums is more better.

You should have things stored on optical disks (and if you're going optical I should really suggest bluray discs for their higher capacity), on hard drives that are nicely secured, and perhaps even on tape.

If you're storing TV shows and movies or whatever, you should consider encoding them in HEVC for while it'd take longer to do, they'd take up much less space.

Isnt blu ray stupidly expensive

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Figure out how to weaponize anything and everything for self defense. When people want to come steal  your GoT dvd, use it as a ninja star to take them out!

4 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Isnt blu ray stupidly expensive

Per gigabyte? Let's find out!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-BD-R-Blu-Ray-Disc-Pack/dp/B0047V24MA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1496152742&sr=8-5&keywords=blu+ray+m+disc

250GB for 11 pounds and eighty-three pence.

Twenty-one pennies per gigabyte.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43549-4-7GB-DVD-R-Silver/dp/B000BEZYLA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496152886&sr=8-3&keywords=blank+dvd

470GB for 19 pounds and forty-eight pence.

Twenty-four pennies per gigabyte?

Bluray is cheaper in this case?. Regardless, you'll go through drives more quickly with DVDs, and swap out more frequently, and you're more likely to break DVDs if there are more of them...

However, perhaps you should only be looking at M-Disc stuff.

Sig under construction.

Not sure why you think "doomsday" is coming, but, if it is, you've got more important things to think about than backing up your data.....like, food / water, a bunker with means of waste disposal. 

But, I'd just buy a couple / few Passport Drives, that's probably your best bet TBH, if you ever get out of your bunker, they will rebuild, USB will still be a thing and Passport Drives are relatively cheap. 4TB for $120 on Newegg.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

24 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Solar is the way to go here.

But what if the machines took over an you darkened the sky in order for THEM not to use solar anymore?

That's the more likely Doomsday to happen.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

But what if the machines took over an you darkened the sky in order for THEM not to use solar anymore?

That's the more likely Doomsday to happen.

Unrelated, but why are you running an AIO and not OC'n a 2600k? seems like a waste.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

Just now, SorcierX said:

Unrelated, but why are you running an AIO and not OC'n a 2600k? seems like a waste.

Might be something better suited to a DM conversation than this thread

Sig under construction.

3 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

ITX case, ya know... :( Sad story but right now with 30°C outside and my GPU folding 24/7 i'm reaching Idle CPU Temps of 60 or even 70°C. There's literally NO headroom for overclocking ^^

Oh and also my Chip is one of the few Sandys that sucks. I can only get to 4.7 but that's already on a quite high voltage.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

36 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Sure looks it....

Definitely a good idea