Worth going from 60 Hz IPS to 165 Hz TN?

kingmustard

I currently have an AOC Q2577PWQ 1440p 60 Hz IPS monitor.

I am looking for a 1440p high refresh rate monitor.

I have a NVIDIA GPU, so I believe FreeSync is out (as I believe it doesn't work with NVIDIA GPUs).

The cheapest 1440p high refresh G-Sync TN monitor is £390 (Agon AG241QG, 24", 165 Hz).

The cheapest 1440p high refresh G-Sync IPS monitor is £560 (AOC Agon AG271QG 27", 165 Hz).

How much worse is a TN panel for image quality?

Use both, use the TN for gaming, and the IPS for movies and YouTube or whatever.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

you can always calibrate a tn panel for better colors according to your needs. I honestly haven't noticed a difference unless i have 2 panels side by side. However you can tell a 60hz panel from a 144hz one from miles away.

My name Jeff

AOC has IPS G-Sync monitors

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/scM323/aoc-ag271qg-270-165hz-monitor-ag271qg

where were you looking at?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

5 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

you can always calibrate a tn panel for better colors according to your needs. I honestly haven't noticed a difference unless i have 2 panels side by side.

Unless you tilt your head, move your chair, tilt the monitor, look at it from any other angle than straight on. Then yes you still can tell the difference from a mile away.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

The IPS monitor is going to have better colour accuracy and better viewing angles, but I wouldn't go as far as it being unbearable if you switch. It is a noticeable change, however.

I was going to recommend the Dell S2176DG for its fantastic TN panel but it's so bloody expensive in the UK for some reason and not worth going for over the AOC AG217QG unless you're that scared of the AU Optronics lottery.

If you're on a tight budget, the AOC AG241QG is fine. The fact that it has G-Sync and a higher refresh rate overlooks its 23.8" size as opposed to the ideal 27".

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Personal experience, TN panels are much better now than when they first came out, I have a tn display and it's only if I get up and stand looking down at my monitor that it has color issues. but that's not how I ever use my monitor, just like if I stand far enough to the side to cause color oddities it's way outside of the range I would ever be using it at

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I would stick to IPS.

Just pay more and get like 144Hz IPS or something.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020