Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti on Dell R910

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, nex_lover said:

Your second statement sends me into confusion.

I had Service Center guys from Canada Computer focus on determining whether my pointed out 8 pin male on the motherboard possibly be a pcie-8. So I was under impression that it did need a connection from motherboard instead of PSU. I had even bought an external Deep Cooling 750 PSU for that matter but they said "nope" i don't need that.

ASUS-GTX-1080-Ti-STRIX-Review-on-KitGuru

You supply power to this GTX 1080 Ti from PCIE connector of the power supply (example of an EVGA G3, you connect VGA1 and 2 to from PSU to GPU)

220-G3-0550-Y1_XL_5.jpg?width=1600&heigh

I really need to know, how can i make run a Gtx 1080 Ti on Dell r910. The main issue at this point of my life is: I can only see one pcie-8 available while 1080 Ti needs 2 x pcie-8.

My study into pcie-8,  150W MAX power can drawn through (do correct me if i should not include "MAX")

and my 1080 Ti uses 300W.

This is what i have gathered about my Dell R910

- contains 16x PCIe Gen 2.0  (2 slots)  ( do not be confused by a 2 x 16x single PCIE gen 2.0 slot in the image ) 

- already has 4 x 750W PSU

- 1100W PSU's can also go in there (although should not be comibned with 750 W PSU)

Am i allowed to use the pcie-8 Y splitter to two pcie-8 ? 

Other factors i am not sure about?

- i have read my GPU might already be in an overclocked state 

- The server's two PSU adds up power to create maximum draw range of (750+750) 1500W even when motherboard is connected to 4 750W PSU

Assuming that the server might draw upto 1300W alone , will my GPU be in danger?

DellR910 Motherboard.png

pcie-8 Y splitter.jpg

dell r910 1100W PSU.jpg

dell r910 1100W PSU.jpg

That PCI-E you pointed out is for CPU iirc

The PCI-E x8 that a 1080 Ti requires comes from the PSU  but I might be wrong

1) The server PSUs are in a redundant state if it's pulling 1500W from 4 x 750W PSUs.  If you're concerned about the available power,  turn off redundancy or swap for the 1100W high output PSUs.

2) Is there a reason you want a 1080Ti in a server?  You could run a 1050Ti low-profile card and be pretty happy and not have to worry about the power most likely

3)  Unless I'm looking at a different chassis, the R910 only supports a half-length, half-height card in the x16 slot.

4) I believe the cable connection you pointed out is the power connection from the motherboard to the backplane, but I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

1) The server PSUs are in a redundant state if it's pulling 1500W from 4 x 750W PSUs.  If you're concerned about the available power,  turn off redundancy or swap for the 1100W high output PSUs.

2) Is there a reason you want a 1080Ti in a server?  You could run a 1050Ti low-profile card and be pretty happy and not have to worry about the power most likely

3)  Unless I'm looking at a different chassis, the R910 only supports a half-length, half-height card in the x16 slot.

4) I believe the cable connection you pointed out is the power connection from the motherboard to the backplane, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your answer. I can only answer 2 and 3

2) i am simply hell bent on trying 1080 Ti

3) I have two 16x riser cables to extend it many  times.

18 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That PCI-E you pointed out is for CPU iirc

The PCI-E x8 that a 1080 Ti requires comes from the PSU  but I might be wrong

I had Service Center guys from Canada Computer focus on determining whether my pointed out 8 pin male on the motherboard possibly be a pcie-8. So I was under impression that it did need a connection from motherboard instead of PSU. I had even bought an external Deep Cooling 750 PSU for that matter but they said "nope" i don't need that.

1 minute ago, nex_lover said:

You supply power to this GTX 1080 Ti from PCIE connector of the power supply (example of an EVGA G3, you connect VGA1 and 2 to from PSU to GPU)

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I am about to throw in a big facepalm of "I told them so" !!
Can you confirm again if this applies to Gigabyte series as well and not just EVGA ?

I am not sure what to do at this point. Should i somehow route power from lets say 3rd and 4rth PSU from the server itself? or is it best to get a very separate PSU such as EVGA supernova in your example?

10 minutes ago, nex_lover said:

I am about to throw in a big facepalm of "I told them so" !!
Can you confirm again if this applies to Gigabyte series as well and not just EVGA ?

I am not sure what to do at this point. Should i somehow route power from lets say 3rd and 4rth PSU from the server itself? or is it best to get a very separate PSU such as EVGA supernova in your example?

You can route those power from those PSU. I have seen people using multiple PSU to power a GPU before, that's nothing new.

All 1080 Ti uses 2x8pin power same goes to Gigabyte cards

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2017 at 0:45 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

You can route those power from those PSU. I have seen people using multiple PSU to power a GPU before, that's nothing new.

All 1080 Ti uses 2x8pin power same goes to Gigabyte cards

I got it to work over a month ago. 

- I performed the paperclip method on GPU external 750W power supply

- Put the GPU in slot x32

- Changed the BIOS config to disable onboard GPU

- Changed the interrupt to lowest IRQ for detected GPU on BIOS

I am gonna contact Guiness Book of Records on this achievement