Removed the cpu and motherboard turns on?

Go to solution Solved by JoostinOnline,

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the motherboard.  If there are any bulging capacitors (the cylinder things) then yes, but otherwise I doubt it.  You aren't supposed to pull out a CPU (or anything) while the computer is plugged in, so it's no wonder that it would react strangely.

My first build was a failure, the cpu was a defective one(R7 1700).

But when I bring it back to the shop that I bought it (which I am not going back ever after this incident,for other reasons of course), the worker tested it and is willing to discuss with the supplier for a refund or replace a new one. But at the same time the worker told me to keep an eye about my motherboard (MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON), for when he shaked the CPU to loosen it from the socket, the motherboard suddenly turned on for a brief second.

But judging by his unprofessional act during the process of testing, I am suspecting that he is trying to blame it on the motherboard. His words still got me worried,

1) is it possible that I got a defective board?

2) How to know that whether my processor was damaged by the motherboard ?(is it even possible?)

3) I do hear a slight little buzz when my power-supply turned on the first time, could it be the problem?

31 minutes ago, RealGamer said:

My first build was a failure, the cpu was a defective one(R7 1700).

But when I bring it back to the shop that I bought it (which I am not going back ever after this incident,for other reasons of course), the worker tested it and is willing to discuss with the supplier for a refund or replace a new one. But at the same time the worker told me to keep an eye about my motherboard (MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON), for when he shaked the CPU to loosen it from the socket, the motherboard suddenly turned on for a brief second.

But judging by his unprofessional act during the process of testing, I am suspecting that he is trying to blame it on the motherboard. His words still got me worried,

1) is it possible that I got a defective board?

2) How to know that whether my processor was damaged by the motherboard ?(is it even possible?)

3) I do hear a slight little buzz when my power-supply turned on the first time, could it be the problem?

Are you telling me he removed the CPU while it plugged in?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are you telling me he removed the CPU while it plugged in?

Yes, that's why I am not going back.

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the motherboard.  If there are any bulging capacitors (the cylinder things) then yes, but otherwise I doubt it.  You aren't supposed to pull out a CPU (or anything) while the computer is plugged in, so it's no wonder that it would react strangely.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

34 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Not only that, he plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard. It made me instantly regret that I supported them for that long.Dude, r7 have no igpu,why are you plugging it into the motherboard? And he told me that he was building computers for more than 10 years. No more next time for this shop anymore. Btw, thanks for answering

1 minute ago, RealGamer said:

Not only that, he plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard. It made me instantly regret that I supported them for that long.Dude, r7 have no igpu,why are you plugging it into the motherboard? And he told me that he was building computers for more than 10 years. No more next time for this shop anymore. Btw, thanks for answering

Yeah, I was about to say...there's no iGPU on Ryzen....yet anyway.

I think the motherboard just turned on because when he moved the CPU, it probably caused it to contact all the pins (which is what the hold down socket is for...

I hope that didn't kill the motherboard though...you really don't want to be messing with the socket while it's in use...

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

I think the motherboard just turned on because when he moved the CPU, it probably caused it to contact all the pins (which is what the hold down socket is for...

I hope that didn't kill the motherboard though...you really don't want to be messing with the socket while it's in use...

Yeah, I hope so

If you have any proof if he did this, contact the court, you can buy yourself a titan xp or quadro after you get the lawsuit money, OR just pay some rent.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:52 AM, JoostinOnline said:

On 5/22/2017 at 0:26 PM, scottyseng said:

Well the problem is in the motherboard, it has ram compatible issue, problem solved

30 minutes ago, RealGamer said:

Well the problem is in the motherboard, it has ram compatible issue, problem solved

Yeah, I was actually wondering if it maybe you had a RAM issue, but I though eh, most of the RAM issue with ryzen were fixed already?

On 5/23/2017 at 0:45 PM, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I was actually wondering if it maybe you had a RAM issue, but I though eh, most of the RAM issue with ryzen were fixed already?

The motherboard was one of the first batch that was produced, the date of the bios is on the 7th of March.