get ryzen 1700x or 6800k or wait and see what sky/kabylake x has to offer

Go to solution Solved by spadz93,

Definitely wait. I'm in the same boat coming from a 4790k, I was looking at an 1800, 6800k or 6850k, but ultimately it's not worth it with a newer platform around the corner that will (hopefully) be a notch above the current Intel lineup. Worst case scenario, you're out a bit of time, but then prices may drop too 

I will be building my computer around mid juneish and i was wondering if i should go for the intel 6800k or the 1700x or wait and see what intel has to bring with the x299 platform with the kabylake and skylake x.

we won't really know if it's worth it until we see it and the prices might mean you'll still get an x99 build then too... maybe... so we'll see in june

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1700 is better than 1700X because it's cheaper.

Definitely better than a 6800K

Other than that, we don't know about Skylake-X, so don't ask.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Definitely wait. I'm in the same boat coming from a 4790k, I was looking at an 1800, 6800k or 6850k, but ultimately it's not worth it with a newer platform around the corner that will (hopefully) be a notch above the current Intel lineup. Worst case scenario, you're out a bit of time, but then prices may drop too 

1 minute ago, spadz93 said:

this is exactly what is was thinkng. i will wait and see. who knows maybe prices of all the 6800ks and 6850ks, etc will go down.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Intel might finally give us a substantial performance increase this time to compete with AMD.

IPC will be the same as current Skylake, it's likely that only the hexacores (and rumored quadcores) will hit the same clocks of the Z170/270 counterparts, and once you hit octocores, you lose OC potential with every 2 cores you add.

Only reasons that HEDT Hexacores clock as well as consumer Quadcores are:

A) HEDT boards come with further refined VRMs to counteract the power draw of HEDT chips.

B) The upscale in the physical size produces enough surface area to dissipate the additional heat that those 2 extra cores put out.

1 minute ago, theminnesotanman said:

this is exactly what is was thinkng. i will wait and see. who knows maybe prices of all the 6800ks and 6850ks, etc will go down.

Not by much, the best time to buy would be immediately prior to, and very shortly after X299's release. Retailers will start selling the older chips for reduced margin (or at a loss), to free inventory for the new stock. They'll then return to near, at, or maybe even over MSRP.

After all, the 4790K can still go for its original $340 MSRP (it's actually going for $400 on Newegg), the 6700K is going for $340 (it was $350 when it came out).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

IPC will be the same as current Skylake, it's likely that only the hexacores (and rumored quadcores) will hit the same clocks of the Z170/270 counterparts, and once you hit octocores, you lose OC potential with every 2 cores you add.

Only reasons that HEDT Hexacores clock as well as consumer Quadcores are:

A) HEDT boards come with further refined VRMs to counteract the power draw of HEDT chips.

B) The upscale in the physical size produces enough surface area to dissipate the additional heat that those 2 extra cores put out.

Not by much, the best time to buy would be immediately prior to, and very shortly after X299's release. Retailers will start selling the older chips for reduced margin (or at a loss), to free inventory for the new stock. They'll then return to near, at, or maybe even over MSRP.

After all, the 4790K can still go for its original $340 MSRP (it's actually going for $400 on Newegg), the 6700K is going for $340 (it was $350 when it came out).

so essentially if price drops on the 6800k right after the x299 drops. Buy that?

Just now, theminnesotanman said:

so essentially if price drops on the 6800k right after the x299 drops. Buy that?

I wouldn't buy a 6800-6900K if the 5820K-5960X are around the same price. The 5820K OCs better than the 6800K, the 5930K OCs better than the 6850K, and the 5960X OCs better than the 6900K. Enough to surpass the weak IPC advantage that the 6800K-6900K have.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I wouldn't buy a 6800-6900K if the 5820K-5960X are around the same price. The 5820K OCs better than the 6800K, the 5930K OCs better than the 6850K, and the 5960X OCs better than the 6900K. Enough to surpass the weak IPC advantage that the 6800K-6900K have.

in your opinion what would be better for streaming?

Just now, theminnesotanman said:

R7-1700 if you want to OC, R7-1800X if you don't, and you only intend on running 1 GPU and maybe one or two addon cards (NVMe M.2, PCIe USB card, HDMI capture card), or just 2 GPUs and maybe an NVMe drive.

i7-5930K if you want to run multiple GPUs and/or multiple addon cards. You can also choose this option if you want to run above 4GHz (Ryzen overclocking is basically 3.9 to 4GHz). I say the 5930K for it's price, and it's the best X99 chip for overclocking to achieve higher single core/quad core performance.

Personally, I'd only wait for VEGA to build your system, then weigh your options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, theminnesotanman said:

You could wait for Threadripper, the HEDT platform from AMD