Kraken G10/12 + AIO liquid cooling vs custom looping

I have never done custom liquid cooling, but as someone who never turns off their computer because of work, building a custom loop looks both daunting and a hassle, especially when it comes to maintenance. 

Preference aside, I'd like to know the practical/tangible differences.

Temperatures, performance, noise and cost, are there tangible differences? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

BTW, which card is it? Because EVGA also has a Hybrid cooler, but it works with very few cards :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, jonnyyyl said:

I have never done custom liquid cooling, but as someone who never turns off their computer because of work, building a custom loop looks both daunting and a hassle, especially when it comes to maintenance. 

Preference aside, I'd like to know the practical/tangible differences.

Temperatures, performance, noise and cost, are there tangible differences? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

In my experience as someone who's had two AIO units die in two years. Avoid those god awful asetek pump on cpu units. I cannot confirm that they work better but swiftech used to use a laine DC5 on their first series AIO's. considering that was the industry standard for custom loops at the time I'd have to imagine their durability was a little better.

I cannot give you any personal information about custom loops as I haven't built one.

If you're worried I would just go air. Since its for work you can't have downtime and the AIO and custom loop both increase he risk of downtime 

l

That's an F in the profile pic

If you want a very simple loop get one or two ekwb predators with quick disconnects, 2*280mm kits would cool pretty much anything.  Then get the gpu block kit (pre-filled) and slap it on your gpu.  Connect the cpu cooler and you are good to go!  If you have a dual cpu setup you'll actually be able to run both off of the loop as you'd have 2 cpu blocks and 1 (or more) gpu blocks.  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

If you want a very simple loop get one or two ekwb predators with quick disconnects, 2*280mm kits would cool pretty much anything.  Then get the gpu block kit (pre-filled) and slap it on your gpu.  Connect the cpu cooler and you are good to go!  If you have a dual cpu setup you'll actually be able to run both off of the loop as you'd have 2 cpu blocks and 1 (or more) gpu blocks.  

they stopped making those and V2 was delayed from this spring to fall.

Their kits are really nice.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

they stopped making those and V2 was delayed from this spring to fall.

Their kits are really nice.

Go to NCIX, Newegg or Newegg ebay, they still have the 240mm at least.  On top of that, the 240mm have qdc as well.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Go to NCIX, Newegg or Newegg ebay, they still have the 240mm at least.  On top of that, the 240mm have qdc as well.

Ya true, but I would recommend waiting for V2 hoping it has some nice improments.

I think they want to make it more modular for better all around compatibility.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Ya true, but I would recommend waiting for V2 hoping it has some nice improments.

I think they want to make it more modular for better all around compatibility.

I'm considering getting a v1.1 for myself, please note that dazmode is a Canadian retailer so us prices will be different.  It has the qdc and honestly that's all I really need out of one of these.  Two kits like this + the gpu block will run you about 500 USD but it should work with 0 finnicking around and the pumps will outlast you pc.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/ek-xlc-predator-240-intel-rev1-1/

Also, having 2 pumps means that if one fails it will chug along no problem.

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

BTW, which card is it? Because EVGA also has a Hybrid cooler, but it works with very few cards :D

Stock reference 1080Ti most likely, I don't know if the G12 will fit other non reference cards.

Tempted with the EVGA tho. Won't lie. But with that, II most likely will need to sell my kidneys for a few other monitors. 

49 minutes ago, jonnyyyl said:

Stock reference 1080Ti most likely, I don't know if the G12 will fit other non reference cards.

Tempted with the EVGA tho. Won't lie. But with that, II most likely will need to sell my kidneys for a few other monitors. 

The EVGA hybrid edition 1080 ti is $810, it's about $130 more than the stock/reference design.  It has 0 maintenance and if there is an issue EVGA will take care of it.

A standard 1080 with integrated aio is

$580 for EVGA 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c4Gj4D/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-hybrid-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-6188-kr

$585 for AORUS extreme (I'd get this one, a binned chip with awesome performance)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fvjWGX/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-xtreme-gaming-water-cooling-video-card-gv-n1080xtreme-w-8gd

58 minutes ago, jonnyyyl said:

G12 will fit other non reference cards.

Fits basically anything.