what's worse: not disclosing a vulnerability or not releasing a patch a.s.a.p.?

Thread cleaned.

Please keep the personal insults out of the discussion.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, zMeul said:

who knows? maybe ... most people don't mess with Windows Updates and if MS had pushed the KB at the same time back in March I would guarantee the spread of the exploit would've been diminished

is MS to blame? yes!

did MS had knowledge of the exploit before hand? yes!

did MS created fixes for the exploit? yes!

did MS released all fixes for all OSes they worked on? no!

and because of this the ransomware spread like wildfire on a global level

Maybe people should look up the definition of "END OF LIFE"

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Thread cleaned.

Please keep the personal insults out of the discussion.

I was wondering why page 3 disappeared as I clicked it lol

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

then why MS even bothered to release the patches to public? out of mercy? pitty?

MS only did it because it made them look very bad, otherwise they wouln't've budged a finger

Just now, zMeul said:

who knows? maybe ... most people don't mess with Windows Updates and if MS had pushed the KB at the same time back in March I would guarantee the spread of the exploit would've been diminished

is MS to blame? yes!

did MS had knowledge of the exploit before hand? yes!

did MS created fixes for the exploit? yes!

did MS released all fixes for all OSes they worked on? no!

and because of this the ransomware spread like wildfire on a global level

If only we lived in a perfect world where companies offered a lifetime warranty on everything we bought, but they don't and the people were told well in advance. If you want to continue discussing this we'll need to both agree that this discussion will have to take place in reality and not a fantasy world.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

then why MS even bothered to release the patches to public? out of mercy? pitty?

MS only did it because it made them look very bad, otherwise they wouln't've budged a finger

Because it was spreading so they decided to release them?

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

You're right, they shouldn't have. But they did because they were being extremely nice. How greedy of them only caring about money! xD

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

If only we lived in a perfect world where companies offered a lifetime warranty on everything we bought, but they don't and the people were told well in advance. If you want to continue discussing this we'll need to both agree that this discussion will have to take place in reality and not a fantasy world.

I asked once and I'll ask again

were these OSes out of support period? yes - then why MS even bothered to release the patches publicly?

what MS did was to:

• know about the exploit
  • create fixes for affected OSes
  • push the fixes to select clients
  • blame the NSA for not making public the exploit
  • this allowed the ransomware to spread globally
  • then MS publishes all the fixes - too late

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the problem is that MS could've diminished the ransomware impact if they would've released the fixes as soon as possible - they did not

Where's your source for that statement? How do you know, 100% sure, that they didn't release a functional fix as soon as they could? Give us a source that the finalized versions of those updates underwent every bit of validation and tweaking, that the delivery system was in proper, working order for new updates, early enough to prevent anything.

Because a build date in meta data doesn't mean jack, because it doesn't reflect every change that had to be made before they can be pushed.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Bullshit.  Just coding and compiling Hello World would take that long.

The joke.

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Would like to point out, Windows 8, one of the versions supposedly held back, isn't EoL. It's still supported. It's only End of Sale.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Thread cleaned.

With cleansing fire of a vengeful god?

@JoostinOnline

Your head.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Because it was spreading so they decided to release them?

it already spread and they had no obligation to release them, as you pointed out

so ...

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it already spread and they had no obligation to release them, as you pointed out

so ...

they were helping out all the Businesses who were affected and getting free PR at the same time. 

Just now, zMeul said:

I asked once and I'll ask again

were these OSes out of support period? yes - then why MS even bothered to release the patches publicly?

what MS did was to:

• know about the exploit
  • create fixes for affected OSes
  • push the fixes to select clients
  • blame the NSA for not making public the exploit
  • this allowed the ransomware to spread globally
  • then MS publishes all the fixes - too late

To me it looks like a PR stunt and a damn good one. Yes, it was late but enough people and news outlets praised them for patching EOL OSes that it was worth it to them. Does it make them the bad guy for releasing something for free that would otherwise cost more than a Windows license? To my knowledge I cannot think of any other OS developer who has ever done this, even most open source projects won't go back and patch their EOL versions.

As for blaming the NSA for not reporting the exploit, of course they should blame them. If the NSA knew about the exploit before MS did then not reporting it would mean we would have to wait for MS to find the exploit themselves before they could patch it. You should be mad at somebody for not fixing something they don't know about.

-KuJoe

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

so ...

How were they supposed to know it was so big? Do you expect them to release security updates for every exploit found in an EOL OS?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, KuJoe said:

To me it looks like a PR stunt and a damn good one

that backfired right in their fucking heads

You should be mad at somebody for not fixing something they don't know about.

really?

let's see:

• MS fires all their SW testers - ALL!
  • Google creates Project Zero who's aim is to discover, inform and publish zero-day exploits in all software, including Windows

NSA discovers a Windows vulnerability, but the company that designed, developed and published the OS is incapable of?! ha! xD

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

How were they supposed to know it was so big? Do you expect them to release security updates for every exploit found in an EOL OS?

they have experts and they knew it to knew it was big since they had all the patches since February, as soon as they found out

I remember Jerry said you could play devil's advocate and say MS could tell people using all these pre-W7/8 ish OS to "F off" and that they took the risk of using an outdated and unsupported system.

Just now, zMeul said:

they have experts and they knew it to knew it was big since they had all the patches since February, as soon as they found out

Well, you normally patch something as soon as it comes up... Thats a shitty argument

Spoiler

AXIOM

Maybe they released the patches to the other systems for the sake of hitting every business-PC under the sun regardless of needing an IT team to [roll] it out.

@leadeater Does this sound plausible? Would MS be able to get through?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that backfired right in their fucking heads

How did it backfire? I haven't heard about any negative press from releasing updates for EOL version of Windows. I'm interested to see who is upset at MS for releasing a patch that effects a lot of people and businesses.

really?

let's see:

• MS fires all their SW testers - ALL!
  • Google creates Project Zero who's aim is to discover, inform and publish zero-day exploits in all software, including Windows

NSA discovers a Windows vulnerability, but the company that designed, developed and published the OS is incapable of?! ha! xD

I am very happy to see that you hold MS in such high regards. Your expectations of them are simply too high though so I would knock it down a bit, they aren't perfect like you expect them to be but they aren't horrible either. It makes sense why you are so upset now, you don't like it when Microsoft's flaws are revealed to the public but it's OK, they're not going out of business so cheer up. :)

At first I thought you were just a professional angry person who's job is to always be angry at something regardless of how little, but now I see the truth and you'll be fine. This is a safe place. The world isn't perfect and that's OK. ;)

-KuJoe

Just now, zMeul said:

I'm talking about the OSes that got patched: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012598

• Windows XP - Embedded, x86, x64
  • Windows Server 2003 - x86, x64
  • Windows Vista - x86, x64
  • Windows 8 - x86, x64
  • Windows Server 2008 - Itanium, x86, x64

So all EOL

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

So all EOL

huh!? MS released the patches

Just now, zMeul said:

huh!? MS released the patches

For EOL products, why are you complaining? Thats a lot of money they lost

Spoiler

AXIOM

This is unreal. Windows XP/8/Server 2003 are all officially unsupported. Microsoft wasn't even legally obligated to support those OSes anymore. They patched them (for un-paying users) because Microsoft was trying to avoid a global catastrophe 

The biggest flaw in your argument? Microsoft supports Windows XP actively for people who pay for extended out of warranty support. Of course they patched it in March, but only for paying out-of-warranty subscribers. All of those hospitals and airports and businesses who were affected and running XP weren't paying for crucial security updates. That's borderline criminal. Microsoft should be applauded for releasing this patch for non-paying Windows XP users. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines