PG279Q or MG279Q

wako7654

Hi All,

Trying to decide between PG279Q or MG279Q, Is the G-sync premium really worth it? Currently living in Tokyo so monitor prices are really high.

if you are running Geforce 980

then you need to pick the G-Sync monitor

the FreeSync only works with AMD cards

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Depends on your graphics card selection, TBH.  I use the PG279Q, and it is an amazing monitor.  Since you already have a decently powerful Nvidia card, I think the cost difference in the monitors makes more sense than buying the MG279Q and buying AMD cards.  

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

if you are running Geforce 980

then you need to pick the G-Sync monitor

the FreeSync only works with AMD cards

He doesn't need to pick G-Sync. Ignoring FreeSync, it's a monitor with the same specs for $200 less, the question is whether G-Sync or no G-Sync is worth the difference.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

He doesn't need to pick G-Sync. Ignoring FreeSync, it's a monitor with the same specs for $200 less, the question is whether G-Sync or no G-Sync is worth the difference.

This exactly, It's extremely expensive specially here in tokyo

I'm running a 1060 (basically 980 performance) on an MG278Q. I can definitely see the appeal of G-sync since I'm not always pushing high frames but in general lowering some settings will get me a smooth experience with very little visual sacrifice. If all you play is AAA titles at high settings, then yeah it might be worth it. For me it wasn't since I don't really play AAA games that often. Have a look at the Dell S27DG (name is something like that). It has a TN panel though  

That's an F in the profile pic

5 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I'm running a 1060 (basically 980 performance) on an MG278Q. I can definitely see the appeal of G-sync since I'm not always pushing high frames but in general lowering some settings will get me a smooth experience with very little visual sacrifice. If all you play is AAA titles at high settings, then yeah it might be worth it. For me it wasn't since I don't really play AAA games that often. Have a look at the Dell S27DG (name is something like that). It has a TN panel though  

Thanks, just playing league/wow so i guess its not that worth it

The difference isn't just the GSync, the PG279Q also includes ULMB... which if you have a decent system is FAR more important and to answer your question: yes, yes it is worth it.  ULMB + 120hz on a 1440p IPS panel is hands down the best gaming experience I've seen since the days of amazingly good CRT monitors.  I would strongly encourage you to spend the money and get a really good display since it's one of the very few components that people tend to keep from build to build.

Also, if you're looking for advice on monitors it's better to create (and update) a single thread than to make individual "VS" posts and clutter up the forum with multiple posts in a short period of time.

7 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Read my post above.  The differences aren't just limited to GSync vs FreeSync and yes, when you consider ULMB + GSync it's worth the $200.

FreeSync has a narrow operating range as compared to the G-Sync

typically they work only from 70Hz onwards up to 120Hz depending on the panel used but in some cases work only from 70-90Hz

in the case of G-Sync there is the additional module in the monitor which allows better communication between the GPU and G-Sync module.

in the case of Freesync

the monitor manufacturer decides the refresh rate of monitors and it will also depends of the display panels

the only advantage for FreeSync is that both HDMI and DisplayPort, cheaper since it is a free standard

while G-Sync only works with DisplayPort

the PG279Q with Ultra Low Motion Blur and with the ability of OC the panel up to 165Hz

and if you use the MG279Q, your GPU will not be able to run FreeSync so you are wasting the technology there.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you have the disposable income then the PG279Q is the better choice (assuming you get one without a ton of BLB or dead pixels etc). G-sync lets you have a worse graphics card without it showing as much. Plus realistically there shouldnt be a huge advancement in monitors which will necessitate the need to buy another one.

However if you could better spend the money elsewhere in your life then it would be worth putting it in that direction rather than towards a monitor. They arent cheap thats for sure.

-edit-

Also check the pricing for Acer xb271hu, identical spec but much cheaper in my area.