2.4GHz Running @60Mbps - 5.0GHz Running @100Mbps (my internet speed)

Orangeator

Recommend the reset as well. Otherwise what is stopping you from using the 100mb/s 5ghz band for your gaming and the 2.4ghz for phone usage and what not?

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Recommend the reset as well. Otherwise what is stopping you from using the 100mb/s 5ghz band for your gaming and the 2.4ghz for phone usage and what not?

That's the problem, my desktops current adapter is 2.4Ghz and everything else supports 5Ghz. Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

@Orangeator I'm going to assume you're currently re-configuring the router after the reset? All is well? Same issue? Let us know!!

Also, if you haven't reset yet... why not?

19 minutes ago, NinJake said:

@Orangeator I'm going to assume you're currently re-configuring the router after the reset? All is well? Same issue? Let us know!!

Also, if you haven't reset yet... why not?

Reset it, now the cap is 70Mbps. This is without a doubt a router issue. Just glad the 5GHz works flawlessly at 100Mbps... So it looks like I will be buying a PCI Wireless Wifi Card.

4 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Do you guys see anything wrong with these settings?

-snip-

Edit: Btw enabling Coexistence lowers the speed on the 2.4GHz.

Just so ya know... you should probably change all of your SSID passwords, since they're both visible in that screenshot.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Just so ya know... you should probably change all of your SSID passwords, since they're both visible in that screenshot.

Lol what part of I live hundreds of feet away from any other houses did you not understand? I could careless haha.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Lol what part of I live hundreds of feet away from any other houses did you not understand? I could careless haha.

Yeah... or just totally forget about network security.

With that attitude, why do you even have a secure WIFI network? Just leave it open! :P

But seriously, having your SSID passwords literally posted on the web can lead to bad things, even if the risk is pretty minor. But hey, you be you man.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah... or just totally forget about network security.

With that attitude, why do you even have a secure WIFI network? Just leave it open! :P

But seriously, having your SSID passwords literally posted on the web can lead to bad things, even if the risk is pretty minor. But hey, you be you man.

Those passwords are completely useless unless you are in visible distance from my house...

3 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Those passwords are completely useless unless you are in visible distance from my house...

Again, the risk is minor, but hey, the risk exists.

You're obviously not concerned about it, so let's just move on. Despite the fact that it would take you literally 30 seconds to change, and you could have already done it in the same time it took us to have this discussion :P

So, back on topic:

Have you tried:

1. Disabling 5GHz Radio

2. Creating new SSID for 2.4GHz (make sure it's the only one running if your router supports multiple SSID's)

3. Only configuring one device with that SSID

4. Test speed w/ device literally a couple feet away from the router

This will eliminate some variables and will help narrow down the issue.

Your throughput speed (emphasis on throughput) for 2.4 GHz is accurate. You aren't going to get more. You said that no devices appear that could cause interference...baby monitors, cordless phones, microwaves, Bluetooth and other 2.4 GHz devices aren't going to show up on your Wi-Fi list. You can't go 100 MPH in a traffic jam, no matter what you have under the hood.

I would incline towards agreeing with others about 70 Mbps being about max for 2.4 ghz a vast majority of the time. For the sake of trying things, turn wmm and any other qos off and see if that helps. If it's set to 40 mHz, try 20, sometimes you get more speed out of lower bandwidth because of reduced potential interference - I'm not too sure about the max speeds of 20 mhz 2.4 though. 

Definitely get a 5 G adapter, 2.4 technology is just not as good unless you need something easy on line of sight.

3 minutes ago, ALSOccam said:

I would incline towards agreeing with others about 70 Mbps being about max for 2.4 ghz a vast majority of the time. For the sake of trying things, turn wmm and any other qos off and see if that helps. If it's set to 40 mHz, try 20, sometimes you get more speed out of lower bandwidth because of reduced potential interference - I'm not too sure about the max speeds of 20 mhz 2.4 though. 

Definitely get a 5 G adapter, 2.4 technology is just not as good unless you need something easy on line of sight.

Just a minor correction:

5GHz is inherently worse at penetration and signal strength over distance. The higher frequency has a harder time passing through objects.

So at a small distance from the AP, with little or no obstructions, 5GHz is clearly superior.

But at a larger distance, especially with objects and/or walls/floors, etc, in the way, 2.4GHz will often give you a significantly better signal,

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Just a minor correction:

5GHz is inherently worse at penetration and signal strength over distance. The higher frequency has a harder time passing through objects.

So at a small distance from the AP, with little or no obstructions, 5GHz is clearly superior.

But at a larger distance, especially with objects and/or walls/floors, etc, in the way, 2.4GHz will often give you a significantly better signal,

Yep - 5 G is at a high enough frequency that it hits a good amount of solids and dissipates. Air is just about the only thing that doesn't obstruct the signal, so you usually want clear line of sight to a 5 Ghz AP, and preferably clear line of sight just below it as well. 2.4 is preferable if you have line of sight issues.

What sort of link rates are you getting in Windows?

The link rate is shown as "speed" in the adapter status window:

z3DLRpL.png

Press Winkey+X, select "Network Connections" and double click on the wireless adapter.

Data throughput is about half the link rate (up to two thirds in an ideal scenario, or less with heavy duplex traffic).

60-70 Mbps of throughput is very typical for a 150 Mbps 2.4 GHz link.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

Doesn't matter how much you wanty to blame the router, the fact is that most wireless devices still use a 150mbps card, which gives you (upto) 75mbps each way, so you're close to maximum for those devices. If you want a faster connection you'll have to upgrade your devices wifi cards (if you can), or switch to 5Ghz as suggested above if you can.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, Just.Oblivious said:

What sort of link rates are you getting in Windows?

The link rate is shown as "speed" in the adapter status window:

z3DLRpL.png

Press Winkey+X, select "Network Connections" and double click on the wireless adapter.

Data throughput is about half the link rate (up to two thirds in an ideal scenario, or less with heavy duplex traffic).

60-70 Mbps of throughput is very typical for a 150 Mbps 2.4 GHz link.

I actually never knew this... This is what it shows on my desktop:

Screenshot (9).png

243 is an interesting one, it tells a few things:

- Your adapter is utilizing 2 streams (MIMO), this is a good thing

- The channel bandwidth is set to 40 MHz. This only works in sparsely populated areas with no interference on the 2.4 GHz band.

- The selected coding scheme is 64-QAM 3/4.

- And the most interesting one: SGI or "Short Guard Interval" is not being used.

There are a few possible causes for SGI to not work:

- Your router or wireless adapter has some 802.11b/g backwards compatibility thing going on. Solution: set both to 802.11n only.

- (Multipath) interference. Solution: keep the adapter away from sources of interference (like the metal case of your pc). Same goes for the router.

- Bad adapter. Solution: replace adapter with something better.

EDIT: Also have a look at your link rate during a large download. A steep drop usually means interference.

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Honestly, if you can get more than  50mbps on 2.4Ghz consider yourself lucky.

So back to the problem

Do you use any wireless devices? Headset, mic, keyboard, mouse, etc.

And why you insist using 2.4Ghz when you have better option?

17 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Honestly, if you can get more than  50mbps on 2.4Ghz consider yourself lucky.

So back to the problem

Do you use any wireless devices? Headset, mic, keyboard, mouse, etc.

And why you insist using 2.4Ghz when you have better option?

I guess, from what I am reading it seems 50-70Mbps is where 2.4GHz maxes out for most people. No I do not have any wireless devices except a phone. Yeah I was hoping to use 2.4GHz as my gaming desktop uses it (it's adapter) so just yesterday I purchased a 5GHz network PCI adapter to take advantage of the 100Mbps speed I am paying for.

I purchased this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNA337K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It will be getting here tomorrow. I hope I don't have any problems, haha.

Edit: @Blebekblebek I think what really is getting at me is the router I bought proudly advertises that is supports "up to" 600Mbps on 2.4GHz. But in all reality it is damn near impossible to reach 100Mbps... That is just shady business practices from companies as they all do it.

1 hour ago, Just.Oblivious said:

EDIT: Also have a look at your link rate during a large download. A steep drop usually means interference.

This is interesting, I just tested this and the link speed does tank after a large download. But I literally have no wireless devices other than a Microwave and a phone... My computer case is all metal but the adapter is probably 4 feet away from it.

Just now, Orangeator said:

This is interesting, I just tested this and the link speed does tank after a large download. But I literally have no wireless devices other than a Microwave and a phone... My computer case is all metal but the adapter is probably 4 feet away from it.

Do you have a cordless phone in your house? I'm not talking about a mobile/cellular phone, but an actual cordless analog phone? Those operated on 2.4 GHz for years, so that might interfere.

What about a garage door opener?

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Do you have a cordless phone in your house? I'm not talking about a mobile/cellular phone, but an actual cordless analog phone? Those operated on 2.4 GHz for years, so that might interfere.

What about a garage door opener?

I have 4 cordless analog phones in my house and 4 bases for them, and damn they do operate at 2.4GHz... Nice catch, but will that really interfere that much? And no to answer your question, I do not have a garage door opener.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I have 4 cordless analog phones in my house and 4 bases for them, and damn they do operate at 2.4GHz... Nice catch, but will that really interfere that much? And no to answer your question, I do not have a garage door opener.

Yes they can interfere. How much depends on many variables, so it's impossible for me to say.

If the phone is in use, and one of the cordless phones is near your device or near the AP or in between them, that could cause interference, slowdown, even connection drops.

If no one is on the line, there should be little or no interference.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

What link speeds are you getting during the download?

Is the USB adapter jammed against the PC case (or another metal surface)? If so, try a USB extension cable and move it away from the PC.

1 minute ago, Just.Oblivious said:

What link speeds are you getting during the download?

Is the USB adapter jammed against the PC case (or another metal surface)? If so, try a USB extension cable and move it away from the PC.

Okay so right now not in use it stays at 300Mbps link speed. But once I download a file it drops to 162Mbps exactly. If you read what I said, it's 4 feet away from the PC. It's in the cradle USB extender the adapter came with lol.