2.4GHz Running @60Mbps - 5.0GHz Running @100Mbps (my internet speed)

Orangeator

Edit: This problem has still not been resolved, if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

How do I fix this?! I have a Netgear Nighthawk router R7000 that set up at 1300Mbps for 5GHz and 600Mbps for 2.4GHz. I just upgraded my internet from 30Mbps (which both frequencies got at the time) to 100Mbps...

So now the 5GHz and Ethernet gets 100Mbps but my 2.4Ghz tops out at 60Mbps when running speedtest.net. What the heck is up with that? The router supports 600Mbps for 2.4GHz. I already changed it's channel to one with no other 2.4GHz bands on it. In actuality there are no other devices broadcasting in the range of my house. Just my router, I live hundreds of feet away from another house. So what is up with this? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I have tried on my laptop, phone, my Netgear Wireless USB adapter that supports up to 300Mbps... Etc. I get the same results on all of them. I need to have the 2.4GHz band operating @100Mbps as that is what my desktop (Gaming PC) uses.

Thanks again.

Screenshot (6).png

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

So uh.. what's the bandwidth on your internet plan..?

Missed that part. Have you run a test with something right next to the access point? They get funky with vertical distance and walls.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

The company I am with refuses to use bandwidth. Everyone of their plans come with unlimited bandwidth.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

The company I am with refuses to use bandwidth. Everyone of their plans come with unlimited bandwidth.

Bandwidth is the amount of data that can go through the "pipe" at one time, data caps are what you're talking about there. See my edit.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Missed that part. Have you run a test with something right next to the access point? They get funky with vertical distance and walls.

Yes I have. Tested from behind walls and with no interference really close and a little further away. I get the exact same speeds.

Bandwidth is the amount of data that can go through the "pipe" at one time, data caps are what you're talking about there. See my edit.

Yeah I have disconnected all devices but one and tested it. I get the same speeds no matter what. And these devices do support much higher than 100Mbps... So there is not bottleneck on my end, it has to be a setting on the router.

Yeah I have disconnected all devices but one and tested it. I get the same speeds no matter what. And these devices do support much higher than 100Mbps... So there is not bottleneck on my end, it has to be a setting on the router.

Is the throughput limited on Ethernet too? Have you updated the firmware? Disabled any throttling settings for connected devices?

Is the throughput limited on Ethernet too? Have you updated the firmware? Disabled any throttling settings for connected devices?

Firmware is up to date, updated it today. There are no throttling settings enabled. I don't know what you mean by throughput limited on Ethernet. I don't have any devices connected via Ethernet, I just tested it's speed by connecting my laptop.

Firmware is up to date, updated it today. There are no throttling settings enabled. I don't know what you mean by throughput limited on Ethernet. I don't have any devices connected via Ethernet, I just tested it's speed by connecting my laptop.

If you plug something in to the access point using Ethernet and run a speedtest are you still limited to 60 Mbps?

Just now, Alaradia said:

are the devices you're using support that high of a wifi speed?

If you read my post you would know, yes they do. I even connected my Netgear WNA3100 Wireless Adapter (supports 300Mbps) to my Laptops USB 3.0 port and tried it. It is not my devices or the routers or my ISP's ability to deliver/use these speeds. It HAS to be a router setting.

If you plug something in to the access point using Ethernet and run a speedtest are you still limited to 60 Mbps?

No I get the full 100Mbps.

Do you guys see anything wrong with these settings?

Screenshot (7).png

Edit: Btw enabling Coexistence lowers the speed on the 2.4GHz.

No I get the full 100Mbps.

So at least the router hasn't completely crapped out on you with that, though I'm not sure why your WiFi would be limited to 60 Mbps if it's not something related to your settings.

So at least the router hasn't completely crapped out on you with that, though I'm not sure why your WiFi would be limited to 60 Mbps if it's not something related to your settings.

My router is awesome... I have never had a problem with it. And I am positive it is not it's fault but rather some settings I have on it. Any networking guy want to team viewer my desktop and try to see if you see something I did on my routers settings?

Just now, Orangeator said:

My router is awesome... I have never had a problem with it. And I am positive it is not it's fault but rather some settings I have on it. Any networking guy want to team viewer my desktop and try to see if you see something I did on my routers settings?

I would help more if I could but my internet is so slow I have to run Chrome with pictures disabled just to load the forum in a timely manner. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction though.

15 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

How do I fix this?! I have a Netgear Nighthawk router R7000 that set up at 1300Mbps for 5GHz and 600Mbps for 2.4GHz. I just upgraded my internet from 30Mbps (which both frequencies got at the time) to 100Mbps...

So now the 5GHz and Ethernet gets 100Mbps but my 2.4Ghz tops out at 60Mbps when running speedtest.net. What the heck is up with that? The router supports 600Mbps for 2.4GHz. I already changed it's channel to one with no other 2.4GHz bands on it. In actuality there are no other devices broadcasting in the range of my house. Just my router, I live hundreds of feet away from another house. So what is up with this? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I have tried on my laptop, phone, my Netgear Wireless USB adapter that supports up to 300Mbps..

Ok, so your router can "talk" to devices at UP TO 1300 mbps using 5ghz (802.11ac)  or UP TO 600 mbps using 2.4ghz (801.11 b/g/n) and does this through 3 antennas (3 x 3:3 MIMO configuration)

These speeds are ideal speeds, the maximum possible using the standards used by the router - think of it like having the router and a receiving device about 5-10" / 10-20cm from each other, in a closed box, which is insulated from outside world with a material on the walls that doesn't reflect and distort radio waves.

In real world, there's no such thing... even the computer or the monitor near you, or other devices around you will produce some amount of radio radiation that can affect the quality of the radio signal.. the walls in your room can even cause loss of quality due to reflections of the radio waves.

However, if it's like you say it is and you don't have other wireless signals around your house for a  good distance, if you have the computer near the router you should be able to reach speeds close to those maximum values IF you have the proper wireless card.

Those high speeds will only be achieved by a device that also talks to the router using three channels, three antennas. So your router may support 802.11ac (5Ghz) through 2 antennas, but the wireless adapter in your computer may only have 2 wireless antennas and work with 2 channels for a maximum speed of 866 Mhz (just an example).

Or, you may have a cheap USB wireless adapter that has a processor on it which would support 802.11n 300 mbps using two channels, but there's only one antenna (one channel) used, so the wireless adapter can only talk to the router at up to 150 mbps.

The quality of the antenna also affects the maximum speeds and the range of the wireless card and how fast the transfer speeds will degrade as you move away from the router - a USB wireless adapter with its antenna practically printed on the circuit board will have lower transfer speeds and lower signal quality compared to a wireless card / adapter that has removable antenna.

Also, keep in mind that those speeds advertised are total for both transfer directions but wireless is half duplex , it can either send data or receive data not both at the same time, and each direction has half the advertised speed.

So if you have a cheap wireless adapter that says it can do 802.11n at 150 mbps, you will get only be able to reach about 72 mbps in either direction (about 9 MB/s).

If your Netgear wireless adapter actually connects to your router at 300 mbps, then you'll have a maximum of 150 mbps in either direction, or about 18 MB/s .. but again, that's maximum theoretical and decreases with distance from the router.

It could be that your 300 mbps netgear wireless adapter uses only one antenna (one channel) but the wireless router reaches 600 mbps on 2.4ghz using 3 antennas, so with just 1 antenna the router may only be able to do 150mbps or something like that.

just because your router supports 600Mbps @ 2.4Ghz doesn't mean your PC's wifi card can, what is it rated for?

Some cards could be rated as low as 150 Mbps (or even less)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

*cough* reset router settings to default and go from there *cough*

Sounds stupid, but it fixed the WRT1900AC that one of my mates got not all that long ago. Apart from that, maybe it's something dicked up in Windows or your wireless card is just semi-retarded.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

just because your router supports 600Mbps @ 2.4Ghz doesn't mean your PC's wifi card can, what is it rated for?

Some cards could be rated as low as 150 Mbps (or even less)

It's not just my desktop... It's every device. I have tried 6 so far. Including phones... Etc.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

It's not just my desktop... It's every device. I have tried 6 so far. Including phones... Etc.

Then I would do what @tmcclelland455 said and try resetting to defaults and work from there.

I am glad the wifi AP i use is some overpowered router we got for free. but other then that I gave up on having a fast wifi experience and wire everything I can.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Your link speed has been downgraded. Disconnect all devices. Turn off 5ghz band. Connect one device that you know can do max speed. Does it work now?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

you do know that it's pretty rare for consumer-priced routers to come even close to theoretical speeds in an everyday scenario, right?

16 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Your link speed has been downgraded. Disconnect all devices. Turn off 5ghz band. Connect one device that you know can do max speed. Does it work now?

My 2.4Ghz connection is now having trouble reaching 15Mbps. I think my router is dying.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

you do know that it's pretty rare for consumer-priced routers to come even close to theoretical speeds in an everyday scenario, right?

I spent $200 on this router and it was supposedly supposed to be really good/over-kill.

59 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Then I would do what @tmcclelland455 said and try resetting to defaults and work from there.

I am glad the wifi AP i use is some overpowered router we got for free. but other then that I gave up on having a fast wifi experience and wire everything I can.

I am about to reset to defaults. I am hoping that fixes it lol.

Just now, Orangeator said:

I spent $200 on this router and it was supposedly supposed to be really good/over-kill.

i hate to break it to you, but that's not a $200 router (stores taking margins y'know ;)) and $200 is very low for a high quality router, and access point.