2.4GHz Running @60Mbps - 5.0GHz Running @100Mbps (my internet speed)

Orangeator
29 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Okay so right now not in use it stays at 300Mbps link speed. But once I download a file it drops to 162Mbps exactly. If you read what I said, it's 4 feet away from the PC. It's in the cradle USB extender the adapter came with lol.

I missed that than.

The router and adapter negotiate a link speed based on signal conditions. If the error rate goes up, the speed goes down.

A drop from 243 Mbps to 162 Mbps means that the signal conditions aren't good enough to maintain a 64 QAM coding. It drops down to 16 QAM.

It's nearly impossible to find a 40 MHz wide block on the 2.4 GHz band that is completely free of interference...

The ISM portion of the 2.4 GHz band is small and crowded. Almost all enterprise wireless vendors advice against using 40 MHz channels on 2.4 GHz for this reason.

802.11ac on 5 GHz is where it's at.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

I think that wireless phone interfere with the 2.4Ghz band.

Doesn't matter if it's using 20 or 40 Mhz.

Also I rather buy 100m cat5e and do cable management for less headache in the future.

but hey, it's your money

2 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Also I rather buy 100m cat5e and do cable management for less headache in the future.

but hey, it's your money

As much as I love running Ethernet to everything, it's not always practical or even possible in some cases.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As much as I love running Ethernet to everything, it's not always practical or even possible in some cases.

I got notice sound when someone reply, I thought I got spam ads.

Sure, I agree. but in case like this nah...

It's more convenient things than practical things

43 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

but hey, it's your money

for my PC I know use a fiber connection, everyone else is on the present Ethernet. I do love how thin the cable is and the cable itself is cheap. (the transceivers can get pricey)

Now I need money to fall out of the sky so I can afford the 10Gb switch I want.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

so run powerline instead, that will give better than wifi speeds anyways

5 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

so run powerline instead, that will (might) give better than wifi speeds anyways

Correction, Powerline might give you better speeds. Powerline Ethernet largely depends on the quality of your internal wiring, and the materials used.

For example, I have aluminum wiring in my house. I have Powerline (An AV2 pretty top-of-the-line kit) and I barely hit 30 Mbps in testing. In some circumstances, I can get vastly better speeds over WIFI.

And because of the layout of my house, running Ethernet to the 2nd floor in particular is basically impossible without knocking holes in walls left and right.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And because of the layout of my house, running Ethernet to the 2nd floor in particular is basically impossible without knocking holes in walls left and right.

This is my exact problem! It would be a absolute nightmare to run Ethernet to my room. I am on the second floor on the other side of the house from my router.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

This is my exact problem! It would be a absolute nightmare to run Ethernet to my room. I am on the second floor on the other side of the house from my router.

My house goes in sort of a "tiered" setup, so that there's no clean way to run a line up to the 2nd floor. Especially if I want to hide the line. I've resorted to a combination of Powerline Ethernet + WIFI, which is fine for now.

I likely won't do anything further until I move into a new place.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

My house goes in sort of a "tiered" setup, so that there's no clean way to run a line up to the 2nd floor. Especially if I want to hide the line. I've resorted to a combination of Powerline Ethernet + WIFI, which is fine for now.

I likely won't do anything further until I move into a new place.

can you drop a cables down from the attic?

I always assumed it wouldn't be that hard to do that ans have a center switch in the attic.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I always assumed it wouldn't be that hard to do that ans have a center switch in the attic.

I'd have to re-wire my house. I looked into this the day I got my desktop. Haha. Anyways the problem has been solved. I just got my Asus PCI-E adapter today and it connects at full strength on 5Ghz and I am getting 110Mbps of stable speed.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

If I had an attic, yes that would be a good strategy.

However, this building is a flat-roof structure with no attic.

There are no good pathways between floors, really. My best thought was to use the phone line in my room as a string to "pull" an Ethernet Cable, but those phone lines are generally stapled to the frame during construction.