Onboard or dedicated sound card

Good day everybody

I ordered myself a new ryzen CPU, AM4 Mainboard and Ram the cpu is going to be the r71700 and im going to combine it with and Aorus AX370 Gaming 5

But my problem is that i already own a dedicated soundcard that was gifted to me by a friend (X-Fi Titanium fatal1ty) and the onboard sound on the aorus looks quite decent and i wanted to ask which one i should use i mostly play games but casually edit videos and listen to music i have decend headphones and im going to get a 5.1 Set up quite soon too. if i listen to music its mostly Nightcore EDM or some Psy-trance. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Just now, openthatchest said:

onboard is fine unless you really want some quality ass content

thanks for the quick reply

The thing is i already own the sound card and dont know if i should use it or the onboard is better

Many motherboards come with 7.1 surround connections these days.  I have one from 2010 with a 5.1 connection setup.  My first suggestion would be compare the specifications on the onboard audio chipset vs. the dedicated board.  Second, compare the software options each one offers you.  I've been using my onboard chip since 2010 and never really had a complaint.

just try both out and see witch one you like the best. The onboard has the same manufacturer that your soundcard has, but creative have been known for rolling off the bass on their onboard solutions 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Many motherboards come with 7.1 surround connections these days.  I have one from 2010 with a 5.1 connection setup.  My first suggestion would be compare the specifications on the onboard audio chipset vs. the dedicated board.  Second, compare the software options each one offers you.  I've been using my onboard chip since 2010 and never really had a complaint.

can you explain to me how to compare the specs i dont think its going to be the same way as cpus or GPUs where you can check benchmarks core count and clock speed

Just now, Dackzy said:

just try both out and see witch one you like the best. The onboard has the same manufacturer that your soundcard has, but creative have been known for rolling off the bass on their onboard solutions 

thanks for the reply i will certainly do i just wanted to get another opinion :)

Just now, ingamegurke said:

can you explain to me how to compare the specs i dont think its going to be the same way as cpus or GPUs where you can check benchmarks core count and clock speed

don't do that, it is basically useless. The way the circuit is made matters a lot and can make a good chip sound like shit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Ex. X-Fi Titanium fatal1ty has its own memory to use so it won't take system memory (usually not a big deal these days).  24-bit sound, EAX support, special hardware support for certain audio codecs.  I kind of would lean towards the dedicated just to have the EAX compatibility since that's proprietary last time I looked.  However, if the onboard has a better quality chip and the build quality isn't terrible, it may sound better.

Hearing is believing, and it wouldn't hurt to try both solutions either way.  Try it with music and games and see what sounds better to you.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Ex. X-Fi Titanium fatal1ty has its own memory to use so it won't take system memory (usually not a big deal these days).  24-bit sound, EAX support, special hardware support for certain audio codecs.  I kind of would lean towards the dedicated just to have the EAX compatibility since that's proprietary last time I looked.  However, if the onboard has a better quality chip and the build quality isn't terrible, it may sound better.

Hearing is believing, and it wouldn't hurt to try both solutions either way.  Try it with music and games and see what sounds better to you.

thank you for the reply

is there any "benchmark" you can recommend because i once found a video that display all frequencys from 2000hz to 1 hz and you could hear how deep your headphones could go

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

don't do that, it is basically useless. The way the circuit is made matters a lot and can make a good chip sound like shit.

thank you for the reply

is there some website similar to CPUboss where i can compare sound cards?

Mmmm...I would say there's any particular benchmark.  I'm not a pro audio guy.  Shouldn't be too hard to find a track though with scaling frequencies or an audio software that will let you test your audio.

43 minutes ago, ingamegurke said:

thank you for the reply

is there some website similar to CPUboss where i can compare sound cards?

there is a way, but it's kinda complicated, and useless waste of time at this level. The best way to compare is your ears.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."