Why all this hype on the 780 Ti?

Butterfish

Hey guys, i know we all love the 780 ti for it's beasty performance but... is it REALLY that great? I thinking about the price. 

In my country it cost 900$ and the 780 (non-ti) is 700$. Taking this into consideration, i don't really see the real benefit of paying 200$ more for 10-20 fps boost. 

Now.. The reason i made this topic:

The R9 290 (non-x)

Where i live it costs 490$ which is muuuch cheaper than the 700$ gtx 780. In most games they perform almost the same so i don't really see why i should pick anything else but the 290. I'm gonna waterblock it anyway.

What are your opinions of this? Am i missing something about the 780 ti other than the massive pricetag and little performance benefit? Also, i could basically get 2 x 290 in crossfire OR 1 x 780 ti for the same price.

I see everytime someone ask "What GPU to pick", almost everyone jumps on the 780 Ti train. I personally prefer nvidia, but is AMD already getting the cold shoulder?

Thanks in advance.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

780ti is for the gaming enthusiast audience, more than anything, so it's for people who want the best regardless of price..

I'd go and get the R9 290 and just flash it to an R9 290x

I agree but the hype over the 780TI is mostly ignoring the price and just looking at performance figure wise.

I went with two 290x's and OC'd them over 780/ti sli. 

(mostly because i play BF4 and mantle swung me in there fav)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

the 780 TI is just faster

It is the fastest single gpu out there

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

It's only the greatest single graphics card IN THE WORLD

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

the everyday consumer won't drop all that money on a 780ti. 

the comparison you're making is why do people by bentleys. well because they're amazing in every aspect.

you could buy two Mercedes for a price of a bentley. but still some people don't. just one of those far more pricier for a little bit more quality

either way, I'm looking at getting the r9 290

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

These cards are just for AMD or NVIDIA to say hey we rule the GPU world imo been a while though since AMD could say that
And if they have the best high end a lot of ppl wil buy there mid end cause not everyone does research its great marketing

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

780ti is for the gaming enthusiast audience, more than anything, so it's for people who want the best regardless of price..

I'd go and get the R9 290 and just flash it to an R9 290x

Just my thoughts. ;)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I still don't understand how people would pay for that when there are other cards with the same performance for less -_-

Like what?

Hey guys, i know we all love the 780 ti for it's beasty performance but... is it REALLY that great? I thinking about the price. 

In my country it cost 900$ and the 780 (non-ti) is 700$. Taking this into consideration, i don't really see the real benefit of paying 200$ more for 10-20 fps boost. 

The R9 290 (non-x)

Where i live it costs 490$ which is muuuch cheaper than the 700$ gtx 780. In most games they perform almost the same so i don't really see why i should pick anything else but the 290. I'm gonna waterblock it anyway.

prices aren't the same in all countries ...

780 Ti -  580€

780 - 430€

R9 290x - 430€

R9 290 - 340€

290 vs 780 … 79%

290x vs 780 …. 100%

290 vs 780 Ti … 59%

290x vs 780 Ti … 74%

780Ti + water block (about 90€) = 670€

2x 290 + water block (180€) = 860€ (i.e. 190 more)

(+ 3 games with NVIDIA vs 1 game with AMD)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The Titan. The 780ti. 

Aren't we talking about the 780ti.

And the Titan is more expensive.

people really care about flagship card  and some buy stuff just because of the high price

most of the people that will hype it or even 290 will buy mid-end card. But they will talk about the 780ti vs 290x

if i wasnt runing eyefinity i would probably switch to nvidia in an instant but so far i just hate there multy screen solution

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Aren't we talking about the 780ti.

And the Titan is more expensive.

We are talking about it.

Personally I wouldn't buy the 780ti at current price point.

But if you think it's ridiculously priced you just have to look at the fact that thousands of people bought the Titan at $1000 purely for gaming purposes.

For the people who buy this kinds of stuff it's not "Best bang for your buck" mentality. They are willing to pay  that extra premium regardless if it only makes a minor diffrence

For the people who buy this kinds of stuff it's not "Best bang for your buck" mentality. They are willing to pay  that extra premium regardless if it only makes a minor diffrence

I think he is actually talking about the hype.... so it's not really about who buy it.

Most of the people will go with 760/770 or something like this or even lower ...but even those guys will hype flagship card....  

I think he is actually talking about the hype.... so it's not really about who buy it.

Most of the people will go with 760/770 or something like this or even lower ...but even those guys will hype flagship card....  

Yeh very true

The R9 290 (non-x)

What are your opinions of this? Am i missing something about the 780 ti other than the massive pricetag and little performance benefit? Also, i could basically get 2 x 290 in crossfire OR 1 x 780 ti for the same price.

I see everytime someone ask "What GPU to pick", almost everyone jumps on the 780 Ti train. I personally prefer nvidia, but is AMD already getting the cold shoulder?

Thanks in advance!

Because having a single gpu is always better than 2 that add up to the same performance. Still, the r9 290/x is an excellent card as long as you are watercooling or don't mind heat and noise.

I went with SLI 780ti's, why?  Because when you're looking at spending $3-4k on a system a couple hundred bucks cost increase means almost nothing.  It's a 7% price premium for a bigger gain in power, SLI 780ti's overclocked destroy the 290x while being quieter and cooler.  The only thing they don't really dominate is 4k and since I don't plan on doing 4k in the next 5 years that's completely meaningless to me.

It had nothing to do with the hype so much as I wanted a system capable of running 120 fps with max settings (or close) in 1440p, I was going to get a couple 780 classifieds but then NVIDIA dropped the price and released a more powerful card for $50 more.  Instead of taking the savings I went with the more powerful card to be even more future-proof.  It's the first time I've ever bought a flagship card, you could say I splurged a bit ;)

Oh, and I was more excited over Shadowplay than anything else...can't wait to stream to Twitch.tv and record demos for highlight movies without lagging in game to do it!

If we look at the statistics, most people don't buy the high end stuff. Vast majority of PC gamers settle for something like 760 or 770. And they tend to use them longer than six monts.

Asking why people hype the flagship cards on a tech forum is quite obvious. Most of us here are PC enthusiasts and if you ask an enthusiast, what should you buy, he might recommend the high end stuff. So making judgement on people's suggestions on this forum gives you really twisted view of the PC gamers in general.

Personally I don't think that buying the high end GPU's are any way a bad thing. Everyone can choose whatever they want. I just hope, people don't buy something they really can't afford just to have a nice signature on a tech forum. If you ask me, maybe the most silly upgrades are those, where you upgrade from Titan to 780Ti. That really doesn't give you much but it is really expensive. However, if that makes them somehow happy, it's fine by me.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

It's only the greatest single graphics card IN THE WORLD

tumblr_lgunt4mBcG1qfjej5o1_400.gif

If we look at the statistics, most people don't buy the high end stuff. Vast majority of PC gamers settle for something like 760 or 770. And they tend to use them longer than six monts.

Asking why people hype the flagship cards on a tech forum is quite obvious. Most of us here are PC enthusiasts and if you ask an enthusiast, what should you buy, he might recommend the high end stuff. So making judgement on people's suggestions on this forum gives you really twisted view of the PC gamers in general.

Oh absolutely

edit: crap i duped my post sorry