Ryzen 5 1600 vs i7-7700

I am currently a High School Senior getting ready to attend the University of Florida in the fall. I will be majoring in Aerospace engineering, and I am upgrading my current build to be able to handle the necessary workload. This is where I need you guys. I will need to be able to run applications like Matlab, SolidWorks, and AutoCad on a consistent basis with strong performance.

I am looking to upgrade within the next couple weeks and need to decide which CPU would be better: i7-7700 or Ryzen 5 1600??? Either way the CPU will be paired with a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080. In addition to running these programs, another focus of the build is gaming. I realize both of these CPU's would be able to handle 1080p gaming very well, with absolutely no issues.

I just have no idea if the 7700 or 1600 would perform better in the applications listed above.

All advice and recommendations are welcome. Thanks! :)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Any specific reason why?

1 minute ago, raysfan98 said:

Any specific reason why?

because those programs works better/renders faster multi threaded, so more cores and threads=better

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

Just now, raysfan98 said:

Any specific reason why?

Solid works and autocapitalize are single threaded but Ryzen can be OCed to 4ghz or so, making it close to the 7700 in performance. Matlab is more multi threaded and should see Ryzen much more noticeably faster. Ryzen also gives a better upgrade path (where ya gonna go from a 7700? 8700k will be the farthest probably whereas am4 will continue to get new CPUs until 2020).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Blackhole890 said:

because those programs works better/renders faster multi threaded, so more cores and threads=better

Just now, DocSwag said:

Solid works and autocapitalize are single threaded but Ryzen can be OCed to 4ghz or so, making it close to the 7700 in performance. Matlab is more multi threaded and should see Ryzen much more noticeably faster. Ryzen also gives a better upgrade path (where ya gonna go from a 7700? 8700k will be the farthest probably whereas am4 will continue to get new CPUs until 2020).

Thanks so much for the input! The 1600 it is! 

2 minutes ago, raysfan98 said:

Any specific reason why?

Where the i7 excells is game proformance and single threaded workloads. What you are wanting to do is handling lots of verry heavy multi threaded workloads, which is where Ryzen excells. You can still game with Ryzen and get verry good gaming performance, though probably not as high framerates as Intel.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Where the i7 excells is game proformance and single threaded workloads. What you are wanting to do is handling lots of verry heavy multi threaded workloads, which is where Ryzen excells. You can still game with Ryzen and get verry good gaming performance, though probably not as high framerates as Intel.

Thanks! Ryzen it is!

13 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

10 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Not entirely accurate, some productivity apps like solid works and autocad are more single threaded, though my recommendation is still Ryzen.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not entirely accurate, some productivity apps like solid works and autocad are more single threaded, though my recommendation is still Ryzen.

sources?

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

31 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

sources?

For solidworks and autocad:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-9.html

Matlab tis a bit outdated but it gets the point across that it's multithreaded.

EDIT: oops matlab link http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-e-efficiency-core-i7-3960x,3075-5.html

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

For solidworks and autocad:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-9.html

Matlab tis a bit outdated but it gets the point across that it's multithreaded.

EDIT: oops matlab link http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-e-efficiency-core-i7-3960x,3075-5.html

but the price/performance i think that r5 1600 is more worth, no?

4 hours ago, Blackhole890 said:

but the price/performance i think that r5 1600 is more worth, no?

Well you also have to factor in slightly higher mobo costs but overall it's cheaper.

Never said I recommend the 7700 :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler