What's the difference between RGB/W and RGB/UV

VortexHero
Go to solution Solved by Drak3,

RGB/W has a dedicated white LED. If you want white, you actually get white.

RGB/UV has UV LEDs. These give off soft glows with certain things/colors. White objects will have a soft, purplish glow, and if you watercool, you can get UV reactive dyes.

Neither is really better, objectively. They're different, and fill different subroles.

Looking to pick up RGB strips for my build, and I don't know the difference between RGB/W and RGB/UV. Also, which is better out of the two?

RGB/UV has UV LEDs. These give off soft glows with certain things/colors. White objects will have a soft, purplish glow, and if you watercool, you can get UV reactive dyes.

Neither is really better, objectively. They're different, and fill different subroles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

To add on to the above, the reason for RGB/W, when we all know that RGB (at least in a display) can make white, is that RGB lights tend to not do the best job of this.  Due to a lack of power balancing (calibration) and their large size, they don't blend well like the subpixels on a monitor

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So if I have a black case with no water cooling, would RGB/W be most fit for me?

Just now, VortexHero said:

So if I have a black case with no water cooling, would RGB/W be most fit for me?

Yup, if your mainboard or RGB controller supports RGB/W. Not all of them do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, VortexHero said:

It is entirely an aesthetic choice.  There is no right answer, except maybe with UV that can cause certain materials to age faster if I'm not mistaken.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.