1080/1080 Ti or wait for the new generation

Fulachs

I currently run a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 and want to upgrade, because I want more power and a friend of mine wants to buy the card for a good price.

Should I buy a 1080 or 1080 TI? Or even wait until the new generation will be released? 

Running 1 Acer G276HLAbid + 1 Samsung U28D590D LED..

I would wait for Vega and Volta to be released before upgrading.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Fulachs said:

I currently run a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 and want to upgrade, because I want more power and a friend of mine wants to buy the card for a good price.

Should I buy a 1080 or 1080 TI? Or even wait until the new generation will be released? 

Running 1 Acer G276HLAbid + 1 Samsung U28D590D LED..

If you can sell the card for a "Good Price" now and wait for the next gen, that's what I would do. If not, I'd sell it and get a ti (unless he is willing to wait to buy it too).

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

I would reccomend waiting for AMDs Vega architecture. Not just because new architechture, but i could also bring the prices lower if it is priced well against Nvidias current cards.

I guess if you are not in a rush then wait it out. Hopefully there will be more solid news from Computex.

Wait. GTX 980 is still a powerful card, upgrading it now will not give you a significant increase in performance
However, if you can sell your current GPU at a good price and you can't wait anymore, go for 1080/1080TI

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just wait for the Vega, trust me it will be worth the wait 

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

I'd personally say just get a 1080 ti, since I doubt Vega will compete directly with the 1080 ti, but if you're not in a hurry Vega should be released in less than a month so...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Here's my thing. Say he waits 2-4 months. No biggie right? A 980ti still kicks ass. It's essentially a GTX 1080 in brute power with 2 GB less RAM. Now Vega drops both V1 and V2. V1 has two models, 1 a little better than the best 1070, one a little better than the GTX 1080 OC, but not ti or Titan, but at $259 and $319 respectively. Then V2 drops with 2 more, the first better than the ti, for $599, the 2nd a monster like the Duo was, but this time without the compromise of the nano instead of a straight r9 390x, and is 50% more powerful than the TitanXP, @ $1250. This is just one scenario. I actually think V1 will be 3 cards, with the 3rd just ahead of the ti $459-519, with V2 being aimed directly at Volta (Which is what the entire Vega line was supposed to compete with), and the top card being aimed at hybrid design/gamers, at a much higher price than a normal gaming card, but far less than a Quadro.

So anyway, cards drop, say to scenerio 1. His 980ti is now selling for $200 on eBay and Amazon (used or refurbished). His buddy can buy a new card that's better, for just over $300, or worse, he decided not to wait and bought something else as he didn't want to wait (Screw it, the 8 GB MSI (or whatever) 1070's are $330, I'll just grab one of those.

If both can wait, it's a no brainer. If there is any doubt, go with the 1080ti. Of course if "A good price" is $200 bucks, well that's a friend deal as they are selling for $269 for the lowest end 980ti - $379 for the hybrid water-cooled 980ti (I'm just listing the reasonable prices, not the people asking $759 and other nonsense. My only worry is his buddy will dump his card, I'm wrong and Vega will come out over-priced (if my math is right, and they make 3 V1's, they will be stronger than all the current 10 cards, including the TitanXP) and under-powered...Then he is doubly screwed.

I would not trade a 980ti and buy GTX 1080, they are just too close performance wise.

Edited by crzyces
When I say stronger than all the current 10's, I mean the three V1 cards will have a version better than the 1070, the next better than the GTX 1080oc, the next better than the ti and Titan XP, at lower price points.

5 hours ago, weed said:

Just wait for the Vega, trust me it will be worth the wait 

You have a Crystal Ball ? Nobody can say how good it will be until we see some solid reviews.

10 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You have a Crystal Ball ? Nobody can say how good it will be until we see some solid reviews.

No, it's only guesses based on math, which could be way off. I'm coming out with over 17 tflops on the V1 high end if they go with 3 following their current architecture and the improvements they say they are making, but what if 41% more efficient... is really 29% irl. What if the die shrink is 2 and not 4? So many things are up in the air at this point.