Can I OC this monitor to 100hz?

IAR117

Second, the very few monitors that can be overclocked are almost exclusively cheap off-brand Korean monitors that come with single inputs.  They can overclock because they don't have scalers and so the PCB is doing almost no image processing. 

does that mean in return that they also have less input latency compared to monitors wich do a lot of image processing?

Your edit is false. You CAN overclock a Freesync monitor using the Radeon Driver by creating a custom resolution. It's still easier to use CRU, but it can be done with the driver. Also, most of the LG ultrawide monitors are 60hz, but they can reach 75hz with Freesync, and then can be overclocked to 80hz, but that only happens with an AMD card. 

My edit isn't false.  I said... and read it again: what brand GPU you use has basically no impact. I then followed that by explaining that you don't NEED to use the display drivers to create a custom resolution and overclock the monitor.  FreeSync has literally NOTHING to do with overclockability, it has to due with how frames are synced between the GPU and the refresh rate. 

Again, any monitor you can overclock with an AMD card can also be overclocked using CRU.  Period.  When you set up your resolution with CRU it isn't your display drivers that determines what resolution/refresh rate your monitor is capable of displaying.  IE: your monitor does not give a damn what color your GPU is and it makes zero difference. 

Oh, and CRU isn't "easier" at all.  It's substantially more complicated.  The difference is that if your monitor can actually overclock then CRU will accomplish it without frame skipping, while display drivers won't always work.  But again, most monitors CANNOT overclock without skipping frames.

I just tried to simplify it :P

Thanks for the correction though

you're welcome.

another interesting thing i read is that they introduced some sort of optional "lossy compression" with DP 1.4 to enable up to 7680×4320 @ 60Hz over a single DP cable.

i guess that's what happened on the 5k single cable monitor linus reviewed recently.

does that mean in return that they also have less input latency compared to monitors wich do a lot of image processing?

Yes and no... it was better than most standard 60hz IPS monitors, but 60hz IPS panels in general tend to have high amounts of input lag.  That's one reason that virtually all gaming monitors until now have been TN panels, eliminating input lag on IPS and getting a low enough response time to achieve high refresh rates was a major roadblock. 

All in all the input lag was still noticeable, and because they had an 8ms GTG response you got a little more motion blur than a 100hz+ monitor would expect.  It was pretty good compared to 60hz, but compared to something like a PG279Q that is a true high refresh gaming IPS it is no contest.  The latter utterly blows the overclocked panel away, no input lag, no motion blur, better response, etc.

I don't recommend overclocking monitors, and this is coming from someone who overclocked his monitor (with no frame skipping) to 110hz for several years.  If I were doing it again I would have bought a 144hz 1440p TN panel with Lightboost (now ULMB) before the overclocked IPS.

Yes and no... it was better than most standard 60hz IPS monitors, but 60hz IPS panels in general tend to have high amounts of input lag. 

i should have said "compared to other 60hz monitors with similar IPS panels" :)

from a monitor developers perspective, the response time of the panel is a thing you can't do much about but if you decide to do a lot of processing on on top of that you increase input lag even more. 

my thought was that the cheap korean monitors might be the direct opposite to most TVs wich use underpowered hardware to overprocess everything because some idiot decided that dynamic contrast and oversaturated colors is more important than having a gaming capable display device. 

I don't recommend overclocking monitors, and this is coming from someone who overclocked his monitor (with no frame skipping) to 110hz for several years.

last monitor i "overclocked" was a CRT that i drove way beyond specs - it was one of the old kinds without OSD menus and thus did not give me any "out of range" warnings like newer monitors did, it just soldiered on, suffering silently, and eventyally died a year later.

I never dared to overclock a monitor again.

My edit isn't false.  I said... and read it again: what brand GPU you use has basically no impact. I then followed that by explaining that you don't NEED to use the display drivers to create a custom resolution and overclock the monitor.  FreeSync has literally NOTHING to do with overclockability, it has to due with how frames are synced between the GPU and the refresh rate. 

Again, any monitor you can overclock with an AMD card can also be overclocked using CRU.  Period.  When you set up your resolution with CRU it isn't your display drivers that determines what resolution/refresh rate your monitor is capable of displaying.  IE: your monitor does not give a damn what color your GPU is and it makes zero difference. 

Oh, and CRU isn't "easier" at all.  It's substantially more complicated.  The difference is that if your monitor can actually overclock then CRU will accomplish it without frame skipping, while display drivers won't always work.  But again, most monitors CANNOT overclock without skipping frames.

This thread is about a specific monitor, not monitors in general. Check any thread about this monitor in other forums, and the consesus is that, for some reason, these monitors only go past 75hz if you have an AMD card and have Freesync active. And I didn't just read this somewhere, I've actually had both Nvidia and AMD cards with this monitor (I mentioned this before I replied to your comment, maybe you didn't see it). Now, I don't know why this is the case, but it is. So what you said doesn't apply for this specific monitor  (I should have said this before).

Also, if you use the most recent CRU, you only have to type the frequency you want and it automatically fills in all other numbers. If you overclock using the AMD driver, you have to type everything, not just the frequency.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

This thread is about a specific monitor, not monitors in general. Check any thread about this monitor in other forums, and the consesus is that, for some reason, these monitors only go past 75hz if you have an AMD card and have Freesync active. And I didn't just read this somewhere, I've actually had both Nvidia and AMD cards with this monitor (I mentioned this before I replied to your comment, maybe you didn't see it). Now, I don't know why this is the case, but it is. So what you said doesn't apply for this specific monitor  (I should have said this before).

Also, if you use the most recent CRU, you only have to type the frequency you want and it automatically fills in all other numbers. If you overclock using the AMD driver, you have to type everything, not just the frequency.

I know the thread is about a specific monitor, but no, I didn't see your comment that you've used both cards with the monitor in question.

However, what I will say is this: CRU will pre-populate recommended numbers but that doesn't mean they are the correct or ideal numbers.  When I was overclocking my monitors (I say plural because the first monitor they sent me was accidentally the matte version and I tested the overclocking before I exchanged it for a glossy one) I had to adjust the numbers on BOTH monitors to achieve a good/stable overclock without artifacts at 110hz. 

So if you weren't doing that then it's possible that there was something between the two companies drivers that differed and caused one to overclock while the other didn't.  What I can 100% guarantee you is that if the panel will overclock and not skip frames then you CAN do it with any GPU that supports the connection type you're using.  It may take a bunch of extra work, but you could do it.

Also, the difference between 60 and 75 or even 85hz is very minor and frankly isn't worth the trouble to overclock.  It isn't until you get to 100 (really 120hz) where it starts to become a noticeable difference, and at 120hz you really need a 5ms or lower GTG response time because the delay between frames is 8ms and a GTG isn't a full transition so whatever the monitor advertises the reality is slower than that by at least a few ms.