Chassis fans going crazy???

Valhallatier

So i just installed 2 corsair AF120 series quiet edition in my case as exhaust. Both of them are plugged in to my 4 pin header CHA_FAN2 & CHA_FAN3 (ASUS M5A97 R2.0)...

after that i turn on my PC, everything seems running fine and quiet but when i monitor the speed using AI Suite 2 and/or BIOS, my fans speeds are

CHA_FAN1: N/A 0rpm (obviously)

CHA_FAN2: *rpm all over the place* (wut???)
CHA_FAN3: N/A 0rpm (wut???)

Is there something wrong with my fans? i already securely plugged in the cables and i see them running quietly and it blows air definitely... :wacko:
or is it that i musn't plug a 3 pin fan to a 4 pin header? help pls...

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

So i just installed 2 corsair AF120 series quiet edition in my case as exhaust. Both of them are plugged in to my 4 pin header CHA_FAN2 & CHA_FAN3 (ASUS M5A97 R2.0)...

after that i turn on my PC, everything seems running fine and quiet but when i monitor the speed using AI Suite 2 and/or BIOS, my fans speeds are

Is there something wrong with my fans? i already securely plugged in the cables and i see them running quietly and it blows air definitely... :wacko:

Motherboard?

Also

CHA_FAN2: *rpm all over the place*

LOL

Interested in Business and Technology

probably just AI Suite II being weird. Just like it keeps telling me that my cpu is at -138 Celsius 

AI Suite is a complete ......  I sadly use it for now, it says my cpu temps are 10c lower than what core temp reads. Also when I open chrome the temp maybe spikes 10 c or so which is enough to get the fans to spin for 1 second which is annoying.. 

AI Suite 2 is pretty bugged. I would try using HWMonitor. If the fan doesn't seem to be revving up and down its fine.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Have you tried setting the fan profile to manuel and creating your own fan curve?

Cpu: Intel i5 3570k @4.3Ghz *cooled by Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme* | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy-M | Motherbord: Asus P8Z77-M Ram: Patriot Viper 3 8gb @1600mhz | Video Card: Asus HD7870 @1180/1300 |

Power Supply: Corsair HX650 Monitor: LG 22EN43 | KeyBord: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid  | Mouse: Corsair M60 | Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Z|Headset : Audio Techinca ATH-M50 |

Storage : Sandisk Extreme 120gb and 1tb Seagate Barracuda |

First, you can plug 3-pin to 4-pin header. No problem with that. Next, see if you have set something other than Normal mode for BIOS fan controls. That was issue with my 3-pins and mobo not powering them correctly. Try to plug second fan to CHA_FAN1 instead of CHA_FAN3. It could be that mobo can't monitor/control third header. Can you hear/see how fans are spinning? If rpm has around 100rpm change you shouldn't worry over it. Mine do it all the time. Unless you have set them to constant speed, mobo adjusts them in response to temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv