Laptop fan busted

Hetrochromic

Not sure where to post this, so if this could be moved to the right directory that would be great.

But basically, my laptop fan sounds like it's grinding on a stripper pole and the particular fan that it uses is no longer being sold anymore. I have a cooling pad with 4 fans and was questioning if I could just take out the fan and use the cooling pad as my cooling system. I'm also getting an external fan for it. Would I be better off doing this or just getting a similar internal fan and just alter the fan to make it fit?

13 minutes ago, Hetrochromic said:

Not sure where to post this, so if this could be moved to the right directory that would be great.

But basically, my laptop fan sounds like it's grinding on a stripper pole and the particular fan that it uses is no longer being sold anymore. I have a cooling pad with 4 fans and was questioning if I could just take out the fan and use the cooling pad as my cooling system. I'm also getting an external fan for it. Would I be better off doing this or just getting a similar internal fan and just alter the fan to make it fit?

Welcome to the forum. Well first things first I would take apart the laptop if possible and see if there might just be something lodged in the fan in some way that would be easy to fix. If that doesn't work out then I'm not sure what you would do, since taking that fan out entirely and using external cooling will probably result in rather poor temps. The problem with getting a different internal fan is that you will need to make sure that you can really bolt it down so the whole thing doesn't start vibrating too much while it's spinning, and also that it uses the same connector that the current one does (and that the current fan's connection isn't soldered right to the motherboard or anything, that would suck). Before going that route I would look for a replacement fan on Ebay.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...