Windows 8 for cheap?

alek

Does anyone know where i can get a download of windows 8 for cheap?

$80 cheap?

yeah anything less than the 120$ windows is asking for

Look on the internet...I'm not giving links, search and you shall find

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Does anyone know where i can get a download of windows 8 for cheap?

Windows Update Anytime.

cough cough piratebay

Current windows 8 ones available are not activated properly and keep getting blacklisted as invalid keys.

So good luck with that.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Where is the cheapest to buy a legit 8.1? I need to help someone install a retail version.

Where is the cheapest to buy a legit 8.1? I need to help someone install a retail version.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700404 You can update to Windows 8.1 for free. (change your pcpartpicker country if needed in the top right corner)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Thanks mgsstar. That lists OEM Win 8. OEM ties the license to the motherboard right? To give piece of mind, I was going to pay another $15 more and buy the retail version of 8.1. This is the correct way to go?

Thanks mgsstar. That lists OEM Win 8. OEM ties the license to the motherboard right? To give piece of mind, I was going to pay another $15 more and buy the retail version of 8.1. This is the correct way to go?

I don't think you can buy a disc with Win 8.1. That's something you download from the store. There is this thing that you can sign on the MS website that turns your OEM copy of Win 8 into a normal copy.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

If youre a college student they have a special 69.99 $ deal on the msft store :)

www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

I think you can transfer your Windows 8 OEM copy to other motherboards now: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-many-time-can-you-change-the-motherboard-on-a/edff52ca-908e-4a1e-9b4a-45c34b336766

Just have to go through phone activation the next time you activate it.

I don't think you can buy a disc with Win 8.1. That's something you download from the store. There is this thing that you can sign on the MS website that turns your OEM copy of Win 8 into a normal copy.

You can buy Windows 8.1: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Gaming_Addiction Not sure I want to buy Windows from some dude. if he has keys to sell, he is probably re-selling his developing keys, which may work to do the install but it's tied to his dev license and may only be used by him.

Why do ppl bitch paying a 100$ for windows.

are you a student? if so check out MSDNAA through your uni/college

Why do ppl bitch paying a 100$ for windows.

Ah very interesting question.

It has to do with Microsoft doing excellent job at hiding what the back end "magic" to turn a bunch of circuitry into a... well... computer.

So, people sees Windows as only a skin, ignoring the HUUUUUGE complexity and challenges that an OS does, and why it requires well over several thousands of engineers, computer scientists working around the clock to not only make the OS better, but continue to work with the billion hardware configurations.

I mean if you think about it:

Beside the fact, that you need to turn essentially circuit board as a a useable system, but not only that, open doors for new technologies (high power system in a tablet form, with digitize pen inputs), but also makes it all easy to use, in a user friendly layout.

You have everything from:

-> Managing hardware/and peripheral (devices)

-> Try and avoid deadlock between hardware

-> Plug n Play hardware and peripherials

-> Thread management

-> Process management

-> Scheduling management (allows multiple programs to run, despite 1 single CPU, even back in the days where we have 1 core CPU.. meaning it could only do 1 thing)

-> User Security

-> Process Security

-> Network Security

-> Memory management

-> Secondary storage management

-> CPU management and interaction (program execution, interrupts, modes)

-> Virtual Memory management

-> Hardware control (power management, put the system to sleep, etc)

-> File System

-> Networking

-> User Interface and all it's assets (font rendering, CPU/GPU rendering, font management, resources (images, sound, etc) management)

-> Registry (in the case of Windows)

-> Multimedia management system

-> "Direct" hardware communication (DirectX/OpenGL)

and I am sure I am missing a lot more!

Gaming_Addiction Not sure I want to buy Windows from some dude. if he has keys to sell, he is probably re-selling his developing keys, which may work to do the install but it's tied to his dev license and may only be used by him.

I bought one and it works perectly normal with the legal .ios instalation file. They are legit keys that you would get with a disk if you bought it from somewhere like newegg.

Ah very interesting question.

It has to do with Microsoft doing excellent job at hiding what the back end "magic" to turn a bunch of circuitry into a... well... computer.

So, people sees Windows as only a skin, ignoring the HUUUUUGE complexity and challenges that an OS does, and why it requires well over several thousands of engineers, computer scientists working around the clock to not only make the OS better, but continue to work with the billion hardware configurations.

I mean if you think about it:

Beside the fact, that you need to turn essentially circuit board as a a useable system, but not only that, open doors for new technologies (high power system in a tablet form, with digitize pen inputs), but also makes it all easy to use, in a user friendly layout.

You have everything from:

-> Managing hardware/and peripheral (devices)

-> Try and avoid deadlock between hardware

-> Plug n Play hardware and peripherials

-> Thread management

-> Process management

-> Scheduling management (allows multiple programs to run, despite 1 single CPU, even back in the days where we have 1 core CPU.. meaning it could only do 1 thing)

-> User Security

-> Process Security

-> Network Security

-> Memory management

-> Secondary storage management

-> CPU management and interaction (program execution, interrupts, modes)

-> Virtual Memory management

-> Hardware control (power management, put the system to sleep, etc)

-> File System

-> Networking

-> User Interface and all it's assets (font rendering, CPU/GPU rendering, font management, resources (images, sound, etc) management)

-> Registry (in the case of Windows)

-> Multimedia management system

-> "Direct" hardware communication (DirectX/OpenGL)

and I am sure I am missing a lot more!

You sir are a genius

I bought one and it works perectly normal with the legal .ios instalation file. They are legit keys that you would get with a disk if you bought it from somewhere like newegg.

Many dev keys will work. If indeed they are meant for development / developers selling their services, these keys are not supposed to be re-sold. It's for internal use only.

MSFT is actually closing down this arm of their business (providing dev and test software). Developers were profiting from selling their keys. Plus, these keys are not unique and have a limited time of activations to them. Not saying this is what you have but not sure how someone who is not a retailer can sell MSFT software keys.