After reinstalling windows old windows files are in disc D:

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
1 minute ago, NitroDaxs said:

My disc D is empty just with this windows files that i clearly dont need soo how to reformat

Right click on drive, select "Format"

Hello guys,

After reinstalling my laptop's windows, the old win files are stuck on disc D: and I can't remove them.I tried to delete them like an administrator but it says that i sill dont have permision.

3 hours ago, NitroDaxs said:

Hello guys,

After reinstalling my laptop's windows, the old win files are stuck on disc D: and I can't remove them.I tried to delete them like an administrator but it says that i sill dont have permision.

Let me find it real quick, it's a very annoying issue. "Windows.old" right? 

Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

Let me find it real quick, it's a very annoying issue. "Windows.old" right? 

I dont have a file "windows.old"   i have all the windows files from my old OS and i can't remove them

3 hours ago, NitroDaxs said:

I dont have a file "windows.old"   i have all the windows files from my old OS and i can't remove them

It should be in a folder called "Windows.old"

On disk D:/ so you installed a new copy of windows on a new disk C:/? Or is disk D:/ a 2nd physical disk or is it a second partition on the C:/ drive?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

On disk D:/ so you installed a new copy of windows on a new disk C:/? Is disk D:/ a 2nd physical disk or is it a second partition on the C:/ drive?

I had win10 before and i gave it to a service becouse i dont have a win7 disc. And now i have the windows 7 files in Disc C: and some files of win10 in disc D: (Windows,Program files x86 these are the files)

You have to use the Disk Cleanup tool:

• Right click on the drive
  • Select "Properties"
  • Press the "Disk Cleanup" button
  • On the bottom left, there's a button called "Clean up system files", click that
  • It should give you an expanded list, one of the options being "Previous Windows Installation(s)"

Just now, NitroDaxs said:

I had win10 before and i gave it to a service becouse i dont have a win7 disc. And now i have the windows 7 files in Disc C: and some files of win10 in disc D: (Windows,Program files x86 these are the files)

Do you have two physical hard drives though? If you have one hard drive it's possible your Windows 10 installation is relying on some of the window 7 files causing it to not let you delete them.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Do you have two physical hard drives though? If you have one hard drive it's possible your Windows 10 installation is relying on some of the window 7 files causing it to not let you delete them.

How can i see are the the two drives physical(My hard drive of 500gb is on Disc C: and Disc D:

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You have to use the Disk Cleanup tool:

• Right click on the drive
  • Select "Properties"
  • Press the "Disk Cleanup" button
  • On the bottom left, there's a button called "Clean up system files", click that
  • It should give you an expanded list, one of the options being "Previous Windows Installation(s)"

I don't get an epanded list 

Go to disk management to figure out if you have 2 physical disks, or 1 physical disk with 2 partitions.(Or more)

Just now, NitroDaxs said:

I don't get an epanded list 

If you're absolutely certain then you can try resetting the permissions: http://lallouslab.net/2009/06/14/resetting-ntfs-files-security-and-permission-in-windows-7/

Or if you have nothing important on D: or have a backup copy made, just reformat the partition.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're absolutely certain then you can try resetting the permissions: http://lallouslab.net/2009/06/14/resetting-ntfs-files-security-and-permission-in-windows-7/

Or if you have nothing important on D: or have a backup copy made, just reformat the partition.

My disc D is empty just with this windows files that i clearly dont need soo how to reformat

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Right click on drive, select "Format"

Woooah thanks bud.