LTT Discord server?

LTT Discord Server  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should we

• Yee
    • Nope

Is there one? If not, do I have permission (preferably from Linus) to make one?

5 minutes ago, will0956 said:

Is there one? If not, do I have permission (preferably from Linus) to make one?

We have a gta online discord, but I don't recall us having anything official.

The geek himself.

I AGREE!!!. Discord is the perfect platform for linus and the team to connect with their audience.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

im joining that

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

24 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

im joining that

Same but we should have an official one! @LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

An official discord server would likely take away a lot of the activity from the forum. That's probably why it hasn't been considered yet.

9 minutes ago, Wage said:

An official discord server would likely take away a lot of the activity from the forum. That's probably why it hasn't been considered yet.

It's also much harder to moderate, unless you open up mod recruits. And there's a bad apple in every bunch. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

15 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

There is this one:

https://discord.gg/yEECtTM

But it's not official or anything

Its as close to official as unofficial can get. @CPotter has endorsed it.

13 hours ago, Wage said:

Main reason why there isn't official ones is:

13 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

It's also much harder to moderate, unless you open up mod recruits. And there's a bad apple in every bunch. 

Or any other official, forum related live chat options. Too hard to moderate (would require 24/7 moderating), any malicious behavior in there would damage public face of LMG, and it still wouldn't mean LMG employees would have time to hang out in there.

If you want official live-chat, use Twitch chat.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

We are not opening an official Discord - I think I've discussed the reasons behind this when talking about why we won't be opening official LTT game servers in the past.

The main reason is the difficulty with moderation. We want everyone on our platforms to have a great, positive experience and not feel attacked or persecuted in any (reasonable) way by other users (and by "reasonable" of course I mean any kind of real attack, not what essentially boils down to "their opinions are different than mine and I don't like it").

On this forum we have an incredibly skilled and passionate group of moderators that work their asses off to make this an enjoyable place for everyone to discuss tech, and the platform gives us a level of control and the ability to properly log incidents that gives us confidence in the efficacy of our policies.

In a live environment like a game server or Discord, the potential for negative behavior increases tenfold or more, and the logging and incident tracking capabilities are much, much lower.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. We want everyone to have a positive experience on our platforms, and we don't believe the benefit of something like a Discord matches the potential cost of moderating something like that when we already have an incredible platform for (close to live) discussion like we do here on the forum.

We cannot stop users from creating unofficial Discord servers or other similar discussion areas, but they MUST be labeled as "Unofficial" in the server name/title/whatever. As others have already said there's a fairly popular unofficial one already, though I don't think it's fair to say that we "endorse" it - we're just aware of it and don't have an issue with it since the operators don't try to present it as an official property of ours.

28 minutes ago, will0956 said:

I'll get Colton to have them add that. As far as I knew it was labeled as unofficial, which is the only reason I was alright with it being there.

Just now, nicklmg said:

Either way I'd like to see it displayed more prominently. You shouldn't have to dig through a description page to figure out that it isn't an official LMG property.

Agreed

17 hours ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I AGREE!!!. Discord is the perfect platform for linus and the team to connect with their audience.

isn't that what the forums are for?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

18 hours ago, nicklmg said:

We cannot stop users from creating unofficial Discord servers or other similar discussion areas, but they MUST be labeled as "Unofficial" in the server name/title/whatever. As others have already said there's a fairly popular unofficial one already, though I don't think it's fair to say that we "endorse" it - we're just aware of it and don't have an issue with it since the operators don't try to present it as an official property of ours.

On 4.5.2016 at 9:54 PM, CPotter said:

Would you guys want to see an official LTT Discord server?

We could potentially use this one that's already been created, I've got to check into a few things first though. :P 

This would be my reasoning. Forum never forgets.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

This would be my reasoning. Forum never forgets.

"We could potentially use this one that's already been created, I've got to check into a few things first though" is not an endorsement...

What that statement probably meant was "I'll check in with Linus and Nick on whether we can just make the one that's there an official Discord," to which we said no. Unless you have some kind of follow-up where he said "yeah this one is great and this is what we're using as the official LTT Discord even though we're not operating it" I don't agree that we have ever "endorsed" it.

Once again - it was my understanding that it was specifically labeled as unofficial. Now that I'm aware that it is not, I will be following up with the relevant members of our team to make sure it gets updated.

24 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

"We could potentially use this one that's already been created, I've got to check into a few things first though" is not an endorsement...

What that statement probably meant was "I'll check in with Linus and Nick on whether we can just make the one that's there an official Discord," to which we said no. Unless you have some kind of follow-up where he said "yeah this one is great and this is what we're using as the official LTT Discord even though we're not operating it" I don't agree that we have ever "endorsed" it.

Once again - it was my understanding that it was specifically labeled as unofficial. Now that I'm aware that it is not, I will be following up with the relevant members of our team to make sure it gets updated.

Probably since there hasn't been clear NO from staff, hosts of that server have taken your silence as agreeing. I wouldn't call it official still and have referred to it as officially unofficial. Will drop the official part from that note now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Probably since there hasn't been clear NO from staff, hosts of that server have taken your silence as agreeing. I wouldn't call it official still and have referred to it as officially unofficial. Will drop the official part from that note now.

I get where you're coming from, but no statement doesn't equate to an approval or endorsement :) haha. I'll try to make sure we're more clear in future cases (when I'm involved or when I'm made aware of a situation, certainly can't monitor everything that goes on around here anymore :) ).