Is 80+ White bad?

Emillionaire
Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

the efficiency itself isn't bad, it just means it's less efficient in converting power from the wall to power for the pc. but the VS550 isn't good, i'd get another unit. the cx500 is mediocre too. can you get something like an xfx ts/proseries, seasonic eco/s12ii or corsair cx450/550m instead?

Hi, i am shopping for a power supply and noticed the price diffrence between a CORSAIR CX500 (bronze) and a CORSAIR VS550 550W (white) 

is high enough to make a diffrence to me. 

So my question is: 

Is 80+ White bad/unsafe/not good for overclocking? 

Yes, the username is cringe. 

the efficiency itself isn't bad, it just means it's less efficient in converting power from the wall to power for the pc. but the VS550 isn't good, i'd get another unit. the cx500 is mediocre too. can you get something like an xfx ts/proseries, seasonic eco/s12ii or corsair cx450/550m instead?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

80+ only means something for the efficiency of a power supply, but the difference between 80+ "white" and 80+ bronze is so small, that slapping "white" on a power supply essentially also implies a lack of care.

Not really, but efficiency usually goes along with quality.  It's got plenty of exceptions, but usually a higher efficiency model means the quality of the product is higher.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

I dont think the cx450 has enough power. (need to power an i7 920, a GTX 960, a SSD, a HDD, and a DVD-drive.)

and the cx550m is to expensive. The xfx ts series with enough watt is also to expensive. 

8 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

So that means that the cx500 is not good enough for overclocking?

2 minutes ago, L0gic said:

I dont think the cx450 has enough power. (need to power an i7 920, a GTX 960, a SSD, a HDD, and a DVD-drive.)

and the cx550m is to expensive. The xfx ts series with enough watt is also to expensive. 

it's enough,a 4960x overclocked and a gtx 960 ate 288w under furmark load.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review/16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, L0gic said:

It depends on if you plan to overclock.  That build will use less than 400W at its peak.  If you start pumping more voltage into the CPU it will increase though.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

It depends on if you plan to overclock.  That build will use less than 400W at its peak.  If you start pumping more voltage into the CPU it will increase though.

I plan to overclock my cpu from 2,7Ghz to around the 3.4Ghz. 
How much should i minimum get then? 

1 minute ago, L0gic said:

Minimum would be 450W.  You should look at the Seasonic S12II 520 BRONZE.  I don't know what it costs in Denmark, but it's a really good brand and relatively inexpensive in the US.

4 minutes ago, L0gic said:

450w is enough as seen in the reviews.

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

450w is enough as seen in the reviews.

Okay, but i dont get why the CORSAIR CX500 CORSAIR VS550 not good enough? 
If they both have above 450W, and the rating doesent matter then? 

Just now, L0gic said:

the quality of the cx500 is mediocre while the VS550 is bad.

1 minute ago, L0gic said:

First off, you're going to have a higher power bill.  Second, the quality isn't very good.  A PSU that fails can destroy some or all of your other components.  Don't take chances.

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

First off, you're going to have a higher power bill.  Second, the quality isn't very good.  A PSU that fails can destroy some or all of your other components.  Don't take chances.

Okay, so i would need something like the Corsair CX-M Series CX450M? 

Just now, L0gic said:

Lol why are you so set on those two PSU's?  Neither of them are very good.  There are much better options.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Lol why are you so set on those two PSU's?  Neither of them are very good.  There are much better options.

Because the shops selection is quite limited here, the price is inside my budget, and it was Tier 3 on @STRMfrmXMN's PSU Tier List. What would you then recommend instead?

Just now, L0gic said:

Because the shops selection is quite limited here, the price is inside my budget, and it was on Tier 3 on the PSU Tier List. What would you then recommend instead?

Anything by Seasonic

6 minutes ago, L0gic said:

yes. the CX450M is good quality and enough for your needs.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

he is looking at the CX450M, not CX500.

@herman mcpootis, are you sure that 450W is enough? Even for overclocking? 
I took a look at this pinned post, and it says that Unlocked Core i5 requires 550W if overclocked, and i'm overclocking an i7 920. :)

Just now, L0gic said:

@herman mcpootis, are you sure that 450W is enough? Even for overclocking? 
I took a look at this pinned post, and it says that Unlocked Core i5 requires 550W if overclocked, and i'm overclocking an i7 920. :)

look at the link i put above, overclocked 4960x+ 960 and only 288w on a synthetic test that's notorious for pushing the hardware too hard.

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

look at the link i put above, overclocked 4960x+ 960 and only 288w on a synthetic test that's notorious for pushing the hardware too hard.

Okay, thank you. Have a nice weekend.