Drilling holes in PCB

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

In general, it's not safe to drill holes in circuit boards unless you know for sure there are no traces in internal layers.

If the board is just two layers (top and bottom) that's fairly easy to determine, and in the case of the circuit board above it's too simple board to be anything but a two layer board.

That circuit board looks like it's meant to host the microphone and headphones jacks for a  computer case and a separate eSATA connector. It looks like they separate the grounds and in general everything is neatly separated between the two sides, so you could probably easily just cut the board in half and it would still work just fine.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's safe to drill a hole in a PCB considering i don't damage the traces.

I've attached an image for your clarification.

In the image I've marked the area where i want to drill and I've check there are no traces in that particular area that interacts with the traces i need, the ones i need are to the right.

Sketch44184854~2.jpg

Keep it simple.

2 minutes ago, titaniumshield said:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's safe to drill a hole in a PCB considering i don't damage the traces.

In the image I've marked the area where i want to drill and I've check there are no traces in that particular area that interacts with the traces i need, the ones i need are to the right.

Sketch44184854~2.jpg

No traces = Safe, Just don't crack the PCB.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

3 minutes ago, titaniumshield said:

Hey guys,

Sketch44184854~2.jpg

dont do it pcbs have wires on the inside you could destroy it.

2 minutes ago, Turtleinahafshel said:

I doubt that's a multi layer pcb. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, bgibbz said:

I doubt that's a multi layer pcb. 

still i wouldnt take the risk

9 minutes ago, Turtleinahafshel said:

still i wouldnt take the risk

It's probably like $5 anyways :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

In general, it's not safe to drill holes in circuit boards unless you know for sure there are no traces in internal layers.

If the board is just two layers (top and bottom) that's fairly easy to determine, and in the case of the circuit board above it's too simple board to be anything but a two layer board.

That circuit board looks like it's meant to host the microphone and headphones jacks for a  computer case and a separate eSATA connector. It looks like they separate the grounds and in general everything is neatly separated between the two sides, so you could probably easily just cut the board in half and it would still work just fine.

16 minutes ago, Turtleinahafshel said:

That PCB is already cut in half and I've tested it, it works.

Keep it simple.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It's probably like $5 anyways :P 

It's a front I/O connector PCB, from which i have already removed the USB part....

Keep it simple.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes i think that's safe because I've already removed the USB part... i just wanted to confirm. Plus it works...

Keep it simple.