PCIE Wireless card

lkarej

Hey so I got some random cheapo wifi card to test reception in my room.
Got perfect reception so now I need/want an actual wireless card bc the usb one will be for my friend's pc when he drags his pc over.

Just has to be PCIe or w/e. I had an old one I ripped from a pc but it was some old format that wasn't pci(e) and didn't fit in my mobo. So that kinda went out the window.
Just recommend good stuff or w/e and I'll come up with decent price range through looking at recommendations.

I have the option to also get a wired connection in my room (long story will be made short below), I'm looking into that but this will be a good substitute for now (could be like a month until I actually buy the adapter) bc I don't play a lot of ping dependent games.

Long story made short edition:

-house has 2 phone lines
-both setup n stuff
-one in use
-one not in use
-phone plug in my room is on the one not in use
-could get my own internet connection for like 50CAD/month + installation (50CAD) and router rentage fee, need to look into it tho

I'll probs end up doing the long story made short edition at some point but I need to get more info from the company I'll be using.

Anyways for now please recommend away, thanks for any help/advice!
If you need more info feel free to ask, I can explain anything I put in this thread in a clearer light if needed (I think).

I make bad life decisions.

6 minutes ago, lkarej said:

Hey so I got some random cheapo wifi card to test reception in my room.
Got perfect reception so now I need/want an actual wireless card bc the usb one will be for my friend's pc when he drags his pc over.

Just has to be PCIe or w/e. I had an old one I ripped from a pc but it was some old format that wasn't pci(e) and didn't fit in my mobo. So that kinda went out the window.
Just recommend good stuff or w/e and I'll come up with decent price range through looking at recommendations.

I have the option to also get a wired connection in my room (long story will be made short below), I'm looking into that but this will be a good substitute for now (could be like a month until I actually buy the adapter) bc I don't play a lot of ping dependent games.

Long story made short edition:

-house has 2 phone lines
-both setup n stuff
-one in use
-one not in use
-phone plug in my room is on the one not in use
-could get my own internet connection for like 50CAD/month + installation (50CAD) and router rentage fee, need to look into it tho

I'll probs end up doing the long story made short edition at some point but I need to get more info from the company I'll be using.

Anyways for now please recommend away, thanks for any help/advice!
If you need more info feel free to ask, I can explain anything I put in this thread in a clearer light if needed (I think).

You could find a router that has a phone jack to use for wifi

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

uuuh

That's what we have right now. The phone line in my room isn't enabled though so I can't plug a router in there.

45 minutes ago, lkarej said:

uuuh

That's what we have right now. The phone line in my room isn't enabled though so I can't plug a router in there.

You can have the router right by the phone jack and run a Ethernet cable to you computer or use a wireless card

42 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Routers that have phone jacks built in, are modem/router combos. Because normal routers do not have phone jacks built in. Also, the OP will need to check with the ISP if the OP intends to run two internet connections to their house. As, some internet providers wont hook up a house twice. 

Now I generally recommend you see what Wireless standard your router uses. And buy a matching card. I have owned TP link cards in the past, and they seem to work well. Honestly if the card in question is PCI Express then any one should work. Because anything is better than USB. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Routers that have phone jacks built in, are modem/router combos. Because normal routers do not have phone jacks built in. Also, the OP will need to check with the ISP if the OP intends to run two internet connections to their house. As, some internet providers wont hook up a house twice. 

Now I generally recommend you see what Wireless standard your router uses. And buy a matching card. I have owned TP link cards in the past, and they seem to work well. Honestly if the card in question is PCI Express then any one should work. Because anything is better than USB. 

I have one but can't use it because I don't have a psu for my pc yet

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

I have one but can't use it because I don't have a psu for my pc yet

Have what? 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Have what? 

Power supply

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I'm going with a different ISP than the current connection, the current connection is run by telus (Biggest telecom player in Western Canada, along with Shaw), they have kinda ridiculous prices tbh.
The company I'd be going with is a company that is smaller and runs off of the phone lines of Telus (rents them for them to use or smth idk), they're focused around streaming content and their prices are much better.

Right now we have a modem, router combo upstairs. My room is downstairs, so until I do some research into getting the internet service hooked up down there, if I moved my pc down there, I'd be stuck with wireless until I could get it sorted out, if ever.
I have a friend over about once a week though, who does not have a wireless card, so he'd have to use the USB card I have right now. Hence I'd need to either buy another USB card or a pcie card.

Just now, lkarej said:

I'm going with a different ISP than the current connection, the current connection is run by telus (Biggest telecom player in Western Canada, along with Shaw), they have kinda ridiculous prices tbh.
The company I'd be going with is a company that is smaller and runs off of the phone lines of Telus (rents them for them to use or smth idk), they're focused around streaming content and their prices are much better.

Right now we have a modem, router combo upstairs. My room is downstairs, so until I do some research into getting the internet service hooked up down there, if I moved my pc down there, I'd be stuck with wireless until I could get it sorted out, if ever.
I have a friend over about once a week though, who does not have a wireless card, so he'd have to use the USB card I have right now. Hence I'd need to either buy another USB card or a pcie card.

Go PCIexpress all the way. 

2 minutes ago, lkarej said:

Warning shaw can drop at random times and it is annoying 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Go PCIexpress all the way. 

Yeah I definitely will if I move my PC down to my room and am unsure about the state of the possibility of the wired connection in my room, I just used the USB card we had laying around for testing the connection strength (still was able to deliver full speeds n stuff) to see if it was viable to move my pc to my room and run it on wireless until I get the wired/phone connection thing sorted out.

My friend who comes over once a week or so can deal with the USB card :P

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Warning shaw can drop at random times and it is annoying 

Luckily I don't, and never will use Shaw. We used to use them a long, long time ago but switched to telus because we were having major problems. Now don't get me wrong we still have problems with Telus on occasion, but much less than I remember having with shaw.