Opinion on monitor choices

Go to solution Solved by Schakal_No1,
2 minutes ago, Torment said:

In a way that is kinda one of my biggest fears, i don't always watch stuff at 1080p even on this monitor and i don't want to upgrade to where even 1080p isn't that good (somehow even on this 21" 1080p monitor, watching something at 1080p isn't that sharp imo)

For games i checked some benchmarks, saw in most games at max (they seem to max absolutely everything and beyond and OC the card) saw around 70-120 or more fps average on the latest most demanding games so in a way i thought it very good for now and also for "tomorrow" but you can never truly predict the future so after i told the guy on the phone to order that monitor my head was filled with the question "Was it the right monitor to choose?"

I know this topic is kinda me being scared of 1440p xD till i started searching this i never had truly noticed this resolution and while searching saw a lot of praise on the internet so i thought about trying it but at the same time i'm walking into uncharted lands for me :P

I doubt you'll regret going to 1440p. I did the transition about 6 months ago and I love it (27" though)

Hello,

So today i ordered my monitor, Dell S2417DG, but i'm still not sure if it was the right choice. I had already picked my whole system expect my monitor and i was not even sure what resolution i wanted but my choices stayed mostly with the one i got of course and a Acer Predator XB241HB, saw a lot of posts online about the two monitors and about the two resolutions on my GPU "gtx 1080 strix". (Prices very similar here)

In the end i made the jump to the Dell but the question that i bring here today is: was it the right choice in your opinion? maybe even from personal experience (guy at the shop now very keen on letting me return it even if i didn't even pick it up yet :/)

What i mainly do is:

Watch series and sometimes movies (have a lot of doubt about watching this on 1440p)

Gaming at least for now casual (CS GO, LoL, occasional Rocket League and Dark Souls) but will definitely try more games and play more with the new pc

Chill stuff at least for now

Depends on how much you paid for it.

But it is a good monitor, the only downside is that it is TN, but the IPS versions are usually quite a bit more expensive. The cheapest one with the same specs but IPS right now is the AOC AG271QG.

the dell was 490, the acer i can find here at 430 

could have gotten the dell at 450 but was too late deciding

21 minutes ago, Torment said:

What i mainly do is:

Watch series and sometimes movies (have a lot of doubt about watching this on 1440p)

Gaming at least for now casual (CS GO, LoL, occasional Rocket League and Dark Souls) but will definitely try more games and play more with the new pc

Chill stuff at least for now

You will not notice any downsides while watching on a 1440p display since the upscale is a pretty nice ratio (3:2). And when watching youtube 1440p or any 4k video you will have a better viewing experience (though not as great as with a native 4k display).

For the listed games 1440p 165hz is pretty nice since you will max out the fps on most of those games so I guess it was a good choice.

19 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

You will not notice any downsides while watching on a 1440p display since the upscale is a pretty nice ratio (3:2). And when watching youtube 1440p or any 4k video you will have a better viewing experience (though not as great as with a native 4k display).

For the listed games 1440p 165hz is pretty nice since you will max out the fps on most of those games so I guess it was a good choice.

In a way that is kinda one of my biggest fears, i don't always watch stuff at 1080p even on this monitor and i didn't want to upgrade to where even 1080p isn't that good (somehow even on this 21" 1080p monitor, watching something at 1080p isn't that sharp imo)

For games i checked some benchmarks, saw in most games at max (they seem to max absolutely everything and beyond and OC the card) saw around 70-120 or more fps average on the latest most demanding games so in a way i thought it very good for now and also for "tomorrow" but you can never truly predict the future so after i told the guy on the phone to order that monitor my head was filled with the question "Was it the right monitor to choose?"

I know this topic is kinda me being scared of 1440p xD till i started searching this i never had truly noticed this resolution and while searching saw a lot of praise on the internet so i thought about trying it but at the same time i'm walking into uncharted lands for me :P

2 minutes ago, Torment said:

In a way that is kinda one of my biggest fears, i don't always watch stuff at 1080p even on this monitor and i don't want to upgrade to where even 1080p isn't that good (somehow even on this 21" 1080p monitor, watching something at 1080p isn't that sharp imo)

I doubt you'll regret going to 1440p. I did the transition about 6 months ago and I love it (27" though)

1 minute ago, Schakal_No1 said:

+ first time building my pc so it will be even more fun, i hope :D

Also I hope there isn't much need to upscale on windows, smaller letters and all that but will try to get used to it ofc