cleaning cpu

i need to get rid of an old aplication thermal goop would windex work

Beth Foster

Xbox Modder, Network Person, Aussie

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Denatured Alcohol.  Potent stuff, just cuz the bottle says Alcohol, don't drink it.  I use cotton balls too.

I have also use paper towels with some success, it left bits of paper towel behind on the cpu 

I use water and paper towels.

Alcohol is better if you can get some.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

would paper towels work with water or windex

btw this is on a 2600k

Beth Foster

Okay, maybe not denatured alcohol but windex won't do it.  Windex is water based and doesn't have the UMPH to remove the old paste.  Got a bottle of old Jack Daniels in the cupboard?  Maybe something like that as long as it has a pretty good alcohol content percentage......

If you do use water, use distilled water.  The paper towels are okay as long as the tiny pieces that come loose are cleaned up.  You don't want to use regular water because it has minerals, salts, and stuff like that in it.   Those run the risk of creating shorts on your board.  Distilled water does not have those minerals and stuff in it so would be safer to use.  Just make sure the board is COMPLETELY dry before applying any power to it.  Good luck.

I usually just use that thing to remove paint from nails that my gf is using. It seems to be working just fine. And it even smells like flowers lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Oh yea, I was thinking about something.  You said you didn't have any denatured alcohol, one time I was in a pinch and of course in a hurry to get my machine back running and I didn't have any denatured alcohol either.  What I did find was the stuff that my significant other was using to remove her fingernail and toenail polish.  Figured if it would remove polish, it would remove thermal paste, sure enough, worked fine.  Same sort of stuff as denatured alcohol, just didn't have a denatured alcohol label on it.  It worked fine without any problems.  Just thinking.....

9 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I usually just use that thing to remove paint from nails that my gf is using. It seems to be working just fine. And it even smells like flowers lol

For the record, this stuff is called Acetone, which will do an ok job of removing that stuff (better than water anyway).

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

12 minutes ago, Macimoar said:

For the record, this stuff is called Acetone, which will do an ok job of removing that stuff (better than water anyway).

Yap, that's the thing I use. It does decent job, like you said.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

If you can get to a chemist/pharmacy alcohol swabs would be fine... I think they are quite cheap also, I haven't bought any personally as I get big bottles of isopropanol.

Swabs like these  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009UG8872

Bottles like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003D8QFR8

It'll take a while to go through a bottle, but works out much cheaper in the long run than swabs etc, I use it quite a lot and have still only used about half a bottle in a year or 2.

[edit] Forgot to say, that if you use the isopropanol, use microfibre towel or cloths with it... I use the cloths as I can just wash and re-use them.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

well im back seems there that was no paste on there so i just put the new cooler master t4 

was on 76 now on 24 thanks guys

Beth Foster