Windows 10 Optimization

Hello!

I just migrated from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 one. The installation went smooth and i have downloaded all available updates and drivers for my hardware. I just noticed that Windows 10 boots slower that Win 7 and on the other hand, shuts down faster. Is this normal?

Moreover, i noticed connection lags while playing my usual games (CS:GO, Dota 2, etc.). Is this caused by the OS? How do i fix it?

Software Affected: Most games on steam, other standalone online games.

Specs:
Windows 10 PRO 65-bit
AMD A10 7860k Black Edition 4.0 Ghz
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB @ 1866mhz Dual-Channel DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD 7200rpm
Palit Geforce GTX 1050 StormX 2GB GDDR5
EMAXX FM2+ iCafe Motherboard
Seasonic 700w PSU
Deepcool Gamma Archer CPU Cooler
3x 120MM LED Case Fans

Thanks in advance!

what i do for every fresh install of win10

After making sure i have all of the necessary windows updates (this takes a while) 

1. uninstall all the useless apps and games (the only apps i kept were Photos, Calculator)

2. registry edit to stop the automatic reinstallation of those apps and games from step 1

3. Settings > Privacy > pretty much disabling all of it 

4. Start > Run > msconfig > (sort by name) DISABLE all the XBOX startup entries

5. Start > Run > msconfig > (sort by name) DISABLE "Windows Update" (this really helped because everytime i booted up my system my cpu would run at 20-30% on idle for no real reason, for at least 10-15 minutes

6. use either Spybot AntiBeacon or Destroy Windows 10 Spying to disable all the useless telemetry for data collection

7. Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Settings > "Defer Upgrades"

Photography / Finance / Gaming

After doing all that, Windows 10 has been good to me - despite running it on my ancient platform (see specs in sig) 

I would suggest picking up a cheap 120gb SSD, it will also make a world of difference in general

11 minutes ago, mok said:

what i do for every fresh install of win10

After making sure i have all of the necessary windows updates (this takes a while) 

1. uninstall all the useless apps and games (the only apps i kept were Photos, Calculator)

2. registry edit to stop the automatic reinstallation of those apps and games from step 1

5. Start > Run > msconfig > (sort by name) DISABLE "Windows Update" (this really helped because everytime i booted up my system my cpu would run at 20-30% on idle for no real reason, for at least 10-15 minutes

6. use either Spybot AntiBeacon or Destroy Windows 10 Spying to disable all the useless telemetry for data collection

I will be finishing a system in the next few weeks if I have questions for these steps would it be alright to ask you or should I just stick to google?

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Your hard drive could also be slowing down and getting old.  I noticed you had one in there that sounds pretty old.

14 minutes ago, mok said:

After doing all that, Windows 10 has been good to me - despite running it on my ancient platform (see specs in sig) 

I would suggest picking up a cheap 120gb SSD, it will also make a world of difference in general

Thanks! will do that when i get home. Anyways i am in a bit of a tight budget, i have HDD alternatives in posession though. Kindly advise which is best.

SG Barracuda 320GB
Samsung 500GB
WD Blue 320Gb

Thanks!

1 hour ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I will be finishing a system in the next few weeks if I have questions for these steps would it be alright to ask you or should I just stick to google?

yeah you can shoot me a message

and as for your HDD, anything running 7200rpm should be more than enough for most people

usually the biggest bottleneck for win10 systems is just the shere amount of background processes that need to be addressed

Windows 10 should give you faster startup from shutdown. It partially hibernates itself when you do a shutdown.

2 hours ago, mok said:

Since Creators Update, it should not happen. The bug, acknowledge and fixed by Microsoft happened soon after Anniversary Update was released (So Insiders enjoyed it for months. Apps don't even come back between OS updates either. Once removed, they are gone).

This is up to the user.

And that gives you what? Or you disable just for disabling?

You have a driver problem. It doesn't happen.

Fake softwares to give you the illusion of "disabling" telemetry data collecting. Everything it does, doesn't block telemetry., and does everything you can from the Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostic.

Pro edition feature only. And removed in the Creators Update. Replaced by Pause Updates, which just delays them by 7 days instead of doing it now. Differ Update was only delaying by 3 month features and drivers related update. The rest installed regardless. And weekly you have Security Updates. So we can see that it caused you no issue. :)

What you really want to do:

• Define your active hours, so that Windows Update doesn't kick in while you work. (Start > Settings > Updates & Security > Change active hours_
  • Customize Windows maintenance schedule (Start > type: Maintenance > Pick: "Security and Maintenance" > Expand: Maintenance > click on blue link "Change maintenance settings"

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

And that gives you what? Or you disable just for disabling?

i had a really bad experience where even though i uninstalled the Xbox app, the Xbox DVR service was still running the in the background and it completely destroyed my gaming experience.

dk if this was fixed with an update so ive just been disabling it anyways (also my rationale is - if its not crucial to my windows experience, i dont want it)

You have a driver problem. It doesn't happen.

it literally shows in my task manager that windows update is the service thats hogging up my RAM and CPU at those moments in time (even though there wasnt an update being installed) 

i would love to not have to disable this - what driver should i be looking into? my bios and motherboard drivers are all upto date

Fake softwares to give you the illusion of "disabling" telemetry data collecting. Everything it does, doesn't block telemetry., and does everything you can from the Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostic.

shiet really ? but even former microsoft programmers like Barnacules swear by these programs

any evidence of these programs being useless?

appreciate the info

8 hours ago, mok said:

i had a really bad experience where even though i uninstalled the Xbox app, the Xbox DVR service was still running the in the background and it completely destroyed my gaming experience.

dk if this was fixed with an update so ive just been disabling it anyways (also my rationale is - if its not crucial to my windows experience, i dont want it)

Well... if you go with what is crucial or not, revert back to Windows 95. It runs programs, and that is the crucial part. But I know what you mean.

This should have never been an issue. Unless you enable DVR mode my mistake and it was always running on the background, recording all the time for you to click the button to take game clips.

it literally shows in my task manager that windows update is the service thats hogging up my RAM and CPU at those moments in time (even though there wasnt an update being installed) 

It is normal that a process being in used consumed computer resources when it operates. Windows Update was probably checking/download/installing your drivers, or Windows updates.

i would love to not have to disable this - what driver should i be looking into? my bios and motherboard drivers are all upto date

SATA controller, chipset drivers, Ethernet/Wireless (depending on what you have). I lack information to better determine. But, if you have a spare empty drive, try a clean install in Windows 10 (trial mode if fine). Check for Windows Update, let is install and do everything, restart when asked. Then open Device Manager, make sure everything is detected. Install what is missing. Restart when all done. Once all done, open the Security and Maintenance panel, then expand Maintenance, and click on the blue link: "Start maintenance". And just leave it there until it is done. Don't install stuff, don't remove things, just let the system be (just make sure it doesn't go to sleep, you can change that in the Settings panel).

When it will be done, now have fun unpinning / uninstall the pre-installed apps that you really don't care about (Example: Amazon, Drawboard PDF, Candy Crush, Minecraft, Paid Wifi thing, etc. Keep Windows actual built-in software: XBox, Groove, Movie, etc.) Then fire up the Store, and click on the profile picture next to the search box, and pick "Download and install", then hit the "Check for update" button, and then on "Update all" if anything shows up. Once it is done, and everything is working, NOW test your system (install a game). It should be up and running fine at this stage. And if all works great, now install all your software, if a performance issue comes, now you know it is actually from another software causing issues.

If it does not run fine, then we know it is a driver hardware issue. Time to start digging from there. This very clean approach, while definitely time consuming (maybe do it in the weekend), is the best way to identify an issue, as you don't have a bunch of stuff  that can create conflicts, including miss uninstalled driver at some point, registry problem, etc.

shiet really ? but even former microsoft programmers like Barnacules swear by these programs

any evidence of these programs being useless?

That guy is an idiot. When Microsoft very own documentation proves him wrong time and time again, and he refuses to knowledge his mistakes. You know that he has a problem. Based on his own comment, after he was laid off, he was offered 2 position. Software Developer, and IT. He used to be a Software Developer in Test (basically making software to Test features to automate testing). He start as IT at the company. I do know that at Microsoft, when you change departments, you still need to do a job interview. 'cause they need to know if you know your stuff, and more importantly, if you fit with the team. He claims that he REFUSED both position he was offered to focus on his YouTube... Excuse me?! There is a reason why all engineers and software developers applies at all the big companies. Wages are really high wage and ridiculous benefits, including the best health coverage money can get. A must in the US, due to the high cost of health care. A dream job for anyone. And he wants to focus on YOUTUBE?! I have a feeling he failed his interviews. That is the real reason. Even if you hate your job, the pay is so high, and the benefit packages is so high, that you can't refuse, and still do the work.

I think, he was lucky that he got in his role at Microsoft because he entered into the company in the early days where the company was expanding at super high rates. Due to the company restructuring he lost his job like many. Most (beside Nokia related employees that were acquired by MS), got their job back in a different position, mostly software developer from the killed position: Software developer in test. I mean the jobs are very similar in terms of skills. So he failed to get it, as he is in idiot, and he competes with "the best of the best", as everyone applies there. And he now he goes all hate on Microsoft. And aims to do click-bait videos to get the most views to bring income. He provide false information, false scare, and gives viewers bad advice.