To Boarding School, should I bring this PC?

Pupp3t

Ok, it's technically a buy.

This year September I'm moving to a boarding school and I was wondering what to bring with me. A PC came to mind for the first one, but then I realized that my current PC is way to large to haul around from the boarding school, to my cousin's house, 2 hours away by train. 

So I thought about bringing a smaller PC, more specifically the ZOTAC ZBOX 1070 version. I thought this would be a suitable choice (regarding the price), as it would be light, and would be able to do all the work I would like it to do.

And now I'm here, I'd like to know: is the ZOTAC ZBOX worth it, and should I get it? Or is there a better option? Laptop?

Price isn't a large issue, as I told my parents I could chip in half the price for everything in the screenshot.

Below I've added a screenshot of what I'll be getting, I own peripherals, and should be fine.

adadadadadad.PNG

2 minutes ago, Pupp3t said:

Ok, it's technically a buy.

This year September I'm moving to a boarding school and I was wondering what to bring with me. A PC came to mind for the first one, but then I realized that my current PC is way to large to haul around from the boarding school, to my cousin's house, 2 hours away by train. 

So I thought about bringing a smaller PC, more specifically the ZOTAC ZBOX 1070 version. I thought this would be a suitable choice (regarding the price), as it would be light, and would be able to do all the work I would like it to do.

And now I'm here, I'd like to know: is the ZOTAC ZBOX worth it, and should I get it? Or is there a better option? Laptop?

Price isn't a large issue, as I told my parents I could chip in half the price for everything in the screenshot.

Below I've added a screenshot of what I'll be getting, I own peripherals, and should be fine.

adadadadadad.PNG

What are you trying to use the PC for? gaming?

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

Just now, Chaos Network said:

What are you trying to use the PC for? gaming?

Gaming, school work

1 minute ago, Pupp3t said:

Gaming, school work

What type of gaming? Heavy, light, medium, CS:GO and League? What games?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

You don't want to carry around your monitor and peripherals along with your PC.
Get gaming laptop if you want portability. You can also build a SFF/LAN party rig with small cases like Silverstone Milo/Sugo and Fractal Node 202

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

What type of gaming? Heavy, light, medium, CS:GO and League? What games?

CS, Overwatch, maybe Destiny 2 when it comes out

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Don't forget about monitor, peripherals etc.
Get gaming laptop if you want portability. You can also build a SFF/LAN party rig with small cases like Silverstone Milo/Sugo and Fractal Node 202

Haven't forgotten about those, I'm more worried about the PC in general.

And yeah, I'm considering a smaller rig

Hi, boarding school student here :)

I didn't really think through everything when I bought my home PC so I have a fullsize S340 case with a 4690k and a GTX 970. When I decided I wanted to have a nice PC at school, I built a new miniITX system in a SG13B with a 4460. I bring my GPU and RAM back and forth with me on breaks in my suitcase.

This really isn't the most optimal way to do this, so your solution is probably better. However, if you can deal with something like a Node 202, that would be even better since you have full control over parts (and it's cheap/fits in a suitcase!).

AMA if you have any other custom PC/boarding school quesitons

Just now, Pupp3t said:

Haven't forgotten about those, I'm more worried about the PC in general.

And yeah, I'm considering a smaller rig

I would probaby go for an MSI or Razer laptop. rather than a desktop

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

I would probaby go for an MSI or Razer laptop. rather than a desktop

Those can be either a pain to lug around for class or really, really expensive. My friend just bought a $1600 lightweight gaming laptop for classes that's equal in performance to my $800 rig. Much better to get a Chromebook for class and a desktop for dorm use from personal experience

2 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Hi, boarding school student here :)

I didn't really think through everything when I bought my home PC so I have a fullsize S340 case with a 4690k and a GTX 970. When I decided I wanted to have a nice PC at school, I built a new miniITX system in a SG13B with a 4460. I bring my GPU and RAM back and forth with me on breaks in my suitcase.

This really isn't the most optimal way to do this, so your solution is probably better. However, if you can deal with something like a Node 202, that would be even better since you have full control over parts (and it's cheap/fits in a suitcase!).

AMA if you have any other custom PC/boarding school quesitons

Is there a good type of small PC build that could fit on a desk that would cost around $1000?

Just now, Pupp3t said:

Is there a good type of small PC build that could fit on a desk that would cost around $1000?

Yep, Node 202 (assuming you want to build it yourself)

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

Yep, Node 202 (assuming you want to build it yourself)

Building it myself wouldn't be a problem

here is a laptop also with a 1070 that is cheaper then the build with a built in screen and keyboard all you will have to bring is a mouse and headset https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834315646

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Pupp3t said:

Building it myself wouldn't be a problem

Let me make a list for you :)

Let me make a list for you :)

Ok :D

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

here is a laptop also with a 1070 that is cheaper then the build with a built in screen and keyboard all you will have to bring is a mouse and headset https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834315646

Like I posted above laptops are generally really heavy for classes so a lightweight laptop like a Chromebook is way more effective (plus that's not upgradable in the future)

Just now, Pupp3t said:

Put your current rig in a ITX or mATX case. When I go off to college in the fall I am just going to lug my Mid-Tower to School with me. And on breaks I will probably end up just taking my laptop with me home (I am going to buy a gaming laptop soon to replace my Windows tablet). Even then by then I will still have a gaming rig at home that will be used as a HTPC that I could use (I have parts from my original rig and original HTPC that I am going to be using in a new HTPC, all I need is RAM and a case).

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

Just now, This_guy1998 said:

Put your current rig in a ITX or mATX case. When I go off to college in the fall I am just going to lug my Mid-Tower to School with me. And on breaks I will probably end up just taking my laptop with me home (I am going to buy a gaming laptop soon to replace my Windows tablet). Even then by then I will still have a gaming rig at home that will be used as a HTPC that I could use (I have parts from my original rig and original HTPC that I am going to be using in a new HTPC, all I need is RAM and a case).

That's true, didn't notice he has a rig already. What's your specs now OP?

That's true, didn't notice he has a rig already. What's your specs now OP?

GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Intel i7 6700k 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151

ASUS Motherboard ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Z170-PREMIUM

Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory Kit

Samsung 850 PRO - 1TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case CA-S340MB-GR Matte Black/Red

Corsair 1000W RM Series

Just now, Pupp3t said:

Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory Kit

Corsair 1000W RM Series

Yea just go and buy a ITX or a mATX board and a ITX or a small mATX case. I am looking at the Cooler Master N200 for my new HTPC. I heard Fractal Design has some good small cases too. At least your 1070 isn't big like my 1070 strix and those FE cards do better in smaller cases anyway.

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

1 minute ago, This_guy1998 said:

Yea just go and buy a ITX or a mATX board and a ITX or a small mATX case. I am looking at the Cooler Master N200 for my new HTPC. I heard Fractal Design has some good small cases too. At least your 1070 isn't big like my 1070 strix and those FE cards do better in smaller cases anyway.

guess I could

8 minutes ago, Pupp3t said:

Corsair 1000W RM Series

You could use the GPU, CPU, RAM, and SSD.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mZ2qyf
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mZ2qyf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($118.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply  ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $313.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-02 10:48 EDT-0400

PLEASE WATCH THIS BEFORE CONSIDERING THE H60:

It's very do-able but might take some work. If you don't care about overclocks then just use a Cryorig C7.

5 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Why not use old parts?

EDIT: Water cooler won't fit with a GPU that long. Use a Cryorig C7.

Just now, Pupp3t said:

guess I could

Go check out the Define Mini C online. It looks like a case to suit your needs unless you want even a smaller mATX case.

Personal Rig:

Linux/test Box:

13" Macbook Air M1:

Home Theater Setup

Other Devices I use: