Pc case expansion slots

apaar123

Can anyone tell me that what Are pc expansion slots used for? Are 7 expansion slots enough ?

I think you mean PCI expansion slots? If so, those are used for things like GPU's, sound cards, wifi/network cards, and other such addons that plug into the PCI slots on your motherboard. Your motherboard will have a number of PCI slots on it, and if you want to use all of them you would need at least that many on your case.

What are you using the computer for? 7 is usually plenty if your're a gamer. A GPU will take 2 or 3 depending on the size, but if that's all you'll be using it doesn't matter. Sound cards usually take up only one if you purchase one.

used for pci, pcie, isa, and agp cars(and a few others)

What are you doing?

Probably 90%+ of people here only have a gpu, so one slot(or up to 3 for a cooler) is fine

More slots only become usefull when you want stuff like FC, 10GBE and other nics, raid cards, sound cards(but just get a usb one), capture cards.

10 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

I think you mean PCI expansion slots? If so, those are used for things like GPU's, sound cards, wifi/network cards, and other such addons that plug into the PCI slots on your motherboard. Your motherboard will have a number of PCI slots on it, and if you want to use all of them you would need at least that many on your case.

What are you using the computer for? 7 is usually plenty if your're a gamer. A GPU will take 2 or 3 depending on the size, but if that's all you'll be using it doesn't matter. Sound cards usually take up only one if you purchase one.

Well I will also be using capture cards and ssd

Multiple capture cards or just one? an SSD shouldn't take up a PCIE slot unless you are using a PCIE add-in card. You'll just need to add up the number of slots from the capture cards and your GPU to see how many. You'll also want to make sure your motherboard can accept all of those at their necessary speeds (1x, 8x, 16x, etc)

6 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

Multiple capture cards or just one? an SSD shouldn't take up a PCIE slot unless you are using a PCIE add-in card. You'll just need to add up the number of slots from the capture cards and your GPU to see how many. You'll also want to make sure your motherboard can accept all of those at their necessary speeds (1x, 8x, 16x, etc

how many slots will a capture card with pcie4 will take?

TBH I've never used one before or even seen one in person, but I would guess only one slot. do you have a link to the model you have/ are looking at?

2 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

how many slots will a capture card with pcie4 will take?

One slot

So you only need 2 slots one for a gpu and one for a capture card. 

Your ssd normally doesn't normally use a slot. You normally have a 2.5 ssd or a m.2. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

One slot

So you only need 2 slots one for a gpu and one for a capture card. 

Your ssd normally doesn't normally use a slot. You normally have a 2.5 ssd or a m.2. 

My gpu takes 2.5 slots but if capture card takes only 1 slot that will be good

2 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

Definitely one slot for the capture card, you should have no issues from the PC case side of things. You may want to double check your GPU won't overhang your 4x slot for your capture cards. Most manufacturers do a good job of laying out the board, but you should make sure for yourself before you order.